davieG

Net providers to begin sending 'pirate' emails

36 posts in this topic

Posted

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

No I'd want the police to try and stop it.  And since they had no interest in finding the guy who stole a couple of grand from friends of mine - not very well off friends I'll add (the money stolen amounted to the majority of their savings) - all because we couldn't give them the guy's home address when I took them down the station to report it, then I don't particularly want them to prioritise cracking down on low-income people who pirate films (slightly denting some millionaires' incomes) when they clearly have more important concerns.

It won't actually be the govt that's doing this themselves, it'll be a govt agency, like the police are. Now I think we'd all admit that the police are a bit crap but that doesn't mean we should ignore all wrongdoing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

20 hours ago, davieG said:

People get mad about this and it distracts them from our shite education, health,  transport  and general economic well being. :P

All of which are better than they have ever been in the history of mankind.  Dont let that stop you though!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Just now, Webbo said:

It won't actually be the govt that's doing this themselves, it'll be a govt agency, like the police are. Now I think we'd all admit that the police are a bit crap but that doesn't mean we should ignore all wrongdoing.

Right, but given that clearly there's a need to make judgement calls whether a crime's worth engaging with (ie. like how they decided it wasn't worth looking at my friends' case given the sum involved and the need for investigative policework to find this thief instead of being given his location on a plate) then I'd strongly argue that not paying to see a film which is probably a bit shit anyway should be very low down on the list of priorities.  Maybe if Hollywood offered to refund us whenever we went to the effort of going to town and watching a movie which turned out to be yet another uninspired re-hash of the same old tired tropes then we might start to think that people should feel bad for ripping the movie companies off but until then...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

12 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Right, but given that clearly there's a need to make judgement calls whether a crime's worth engaging with (ie. like how they decided it wasn't worth looking at my friends' case given the sum involved and the need for investigative policework to find this thief instead of being given his location on a plate) then I'd strongly argue that not paying to see a film which is probably a bit shit anyway should be very low down on the list of priorities.  Maybe if Hollywood offered to refund us whenever we went to the effort of going to town and watching a movie which turned out to be yet another uninspired re-hash of the same old tired tropes then we might start to think that people should feel bad for ripping the movie companies off but until then...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I never said it was crime of the century. I do it and I'm not planning on stopping but I can totally understand why the rights owners would want to protect their property.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

21 hours ago, Webbo said:

The people who make these films/TV programmes, who own the rights to sport spend 100s of millions on them. Is it any surprise they don't want us getting them for free?If they can't make any money they won't spend the money in the first place and there'll be no films/tv/sports to pirate.

 

I've done more than anyone to push Kodi on here, I'm just as guilty as anyone else but I don't blame the companies/govt trying to stop it. I can't understand why someone would get angry about it.

They also make millions regardless

 

I honestly think, in fact I know, that these companies can stop pirate copies of their movies if they want to. sometimes you cannot  all get a pirate movie until its on DVD, and sometimes you can, i suspect they use pirate copies to generate discussion about their movie and get bums on seats.

 

 

It's hard to feel any sympathy for these producers losing a small amount of revenue to pirate copies of media, when they are still raking it in. **** em

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

19 minutes ago, Beliall said:

They also make millions regardless

 

I honestly think, in fact I know, that these companies can stop pirate copies of their movies if they want to. sometimes you cannot  all get a pirate movie until its on DVD, and sometimes you can, i suspect they use pirate copies to generate discussion about their movie and get bums on seats.

 

 

It's hard to feel any sympathy for these producers losing a small amount of revenue to pirate copies of media, when they are still raking it in. **** em

So you watch a streamed copy instead of buying/renting the DVD. You don't go into Tesco and help yourself to some groceries because  Tesco's are a profitable company. Anyone would think these film companies were ripping you off asking you to pay , nobody is forcing you to watch.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It's also annoying how we pay the same price for Netflix as Americans and Canadians but their content is so much better, ridiculously better. Now they've stopped you using VPN's so you can only see the British Netflix which rarely updates although to be fair they've put a few decent films/shows on in the last couple of months but that doesn't make it fair lol


Edited by seanfox778
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

24 minutes ago, Webbo said:

So you watch a streamed copy instead of buying/renting the DVD. You don't go into Tesco and help yourself to some groceries because  Tesco's are a profitable company. Anyone would think these film companies were ripping you off asking you to pay , nobody is forcing you to watch.

I dont have a problem with them asking to be paid, as long they dont mind me telling them to piss off. And i have walked into tesco and helped myself to groceries in more desperate times. No guilt there either

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

22 hours ago, Innovindil said:

I've been downloading music books and films since the Internet was made. Not going to stop now. 

 

#nofuchsgiven

 

Same, as they say one problem solved is another problem caused.. something like that.

 

if they stopped making so much shite people might actually want to pay for some of the movies and music out there.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

All of which are better than they have ever been in the history of mankind.  Dont let that stop you though!

A bit whoosh there Jon :dunno:

 

I thought the :P suggested that it was tongue in cheek.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

15 hours ago, Beliall said:

You don't go into Tesco and help yourself to some groceries because  Tesco's are a profitable company.

I pirate everything because there is basically 0% chance of getting caught and it keeps my money in my bank account. If shop lifting was as risk free as pirating I sure as shit would be strapping legs of lamb to myself and waddling out.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.