Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

North or South - Poll Added.

North or South  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel like you're a.........

• Northerner
    • Southerner

A questionnaire would be better:

a) do you like a creamy head on your beer?

b) are you an insufferable twat?

c) do you blame 'Tories' for all your failings in life?

If you answered yes to one or more of these questions you're probably a northerner.

19 minutes ago, bovril said:

A questionnaire would be better:

a) do you like a creamy head on your beer?

b) are you an insufferable twat?

c) do you blame 'Tories' for all your failings in life?

If you answered yes to one or more of these questions you're probably a northerner.

I think basically everyone, north or south, is an insufferable twat.

Guest CityFan 06

It's an interesting debate this one. The way I see it, from my point of view, Leicester is right in the middle of the country as we know, so for us in general I think dialect varies a lot between southern & northern, we're not really one or the other. I like to think I'm more southern than northern to be honest.

The midlands is what it is.

13 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Midlander I'm not northerner or a southerner!

Pretty much this.

Though the 'North South Divide' I always thought was where you stopped getting curry sauce in chip shops - usually just south of Bedford.

I've lived all over the UK and I think we are pretty much in a bastardised limbo between the two genres in Leicestershire and parts of Northamptonshire!

In the middle, but one thing I will say, I find people in the North much friendlier than those in the South. Always have done. 

Really think there are regional differences in how people behave and interact.

Spending more time in the North East and the people do appear nicer. Yet when you travel south, just don't get that comfortable feeling, particularly Essex, London way.

I am sure there is something in this, and I do recall in my younger days being given the London patch to work in to test me, as that was the most cut throat. And it certainly was.

So I am a midlander, but feel more comfortable with those in the north. 

23 hours ago, davieG said:

unnamed-37.jpg

Where does the north begin?

It's a conversation most of us have probably had at one time and the answer often varies.

Many southerners would probably argue that anywhere above the Watford Gap is classed as 'the north'.

Others have vaguely said that Nottingham is on the border of the north-south divide.

But now, thanks to the University of Sheffield, a detailed map – which you can view below - has been drawn which finally tries to answer where the fictional border is.

The map splits Leicestershire in two, with Market Harborough, the city, Melton, Rutland and Charnwood all deemed as being in the south.

However, Loughborough and Bosworth are over the border and both – apparently – are classed as the north.

The line across the UK map lies above Gloucestershire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire and Lincolnshire.

Interestingly, though, it runs below Worcestershire, Scunthorpe, Cleethorpes and Great Grimsby.

Danny Dorling, former professor of Geography at the university, wrote: "The closer you look at it the more detail you see.

"It weaves between fields and houses.

"That such an exact line can be drawn is, of course, a fiction but it is also fair to say that moving from North to South is not that gradual an experience."

The diagonal line shown above is a terrible example of north v south.

The horse racing authorities define all of the racing tracks as north or south. A straight line is drawn across England & Wales from Great Yarmouth to Aberystwyth which is a far more accurate estimation.

That makes us North, just.

10 hours ago, MPH said:

Why only two options? Why not one for neither or for 'midlander'?

What about a nor'easter and nor'wester .

I think two categories for any country is tough. Im guessing the true geordie would say he is not like a sunderland coont even if they are both inbred. lol

Archived