Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

North or South - Poll Added.

North or South  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel like you're a.........

• Northerner
    • Southerner

• 2 months later...
58 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Or rather, someone who can actually speak English. There's no r in bath, or in castle, and there's only one in grass.

Actually the only places in England to pronounce /r/ are the West Country and East Lancashire.  Southerners pronounce a 'long a' /a:/ vowel sound in such words. 

As a Londoner with Leicester family, I can't say I've ever spoken to or been around someone Leicester and considered them a Northerner.

Then again as a Londoner, it's irrelevant because the two distinct groups in the country are Londoners (people from London zones 1-4) and Provincial Monkeys (everyone else) :ph34r:

Hate the north south debate. Northerners who engage in it are normally pretentious pricks who think because they drink Yorkshire tea they're some how better than everyone else. I just say I'm from Leicester and if they don't know where it is I say it's in the east midlands and then if they don't know where that is I call them a stupid ****.

3 hours ago, Benguin said:

Hate the north south debate. Northerners who engage in it are normally pretentious pricks who think because they drink Yorkshire tea they're some how better than everyone else. I just say I'm from Leicester and if they don't know where it is I say it's in the east midlands and then if they don't know where that is I call them a stupid ****.

We won the league, they know where leicester is. If not they are chavy inbred cvnts lol

18 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

As every Yorkshireman knows there are three types of people.  Yorkshire people, those who want to be Yorkshire people, and those with no ambition at all.

Yorkshire Cricket, Yorkshire Tea, Yorkshire, Yorkshire, Yorkshire.

Never has a county had such a strange, gobby sense of pride, arrogance and self importance over so little.

:ph34r:

27 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Yorkshire Cricket, Yorkshire Tea, Yorkshire, Yorkshire, Yorkshire.

Never has a county had such a strange, gobby sense of pride, arrogance and self importance over so little.

:ph34r:

Indeed they do have a certain self assurance which seems a little unfounded.  My Yorkshire side of the family are good people though.

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

Indeed they do have a certain self assurance which seems a little unfounded.  My Yorkshire side of the family are good people though.

I feel a little uncomfortable in my own skin actually for feeling like a do about the 'Yorkshire model of county pride' - it stems from having once had a Yorkshire Boss that was never wrong, never failed to find brilliance in everything that fell out of his mouth and talked all day long...mainly about how everything was better in Yorkshire and how Yorkshire men were simply masterful. He was nicknamed, 'The Fountain of Northern Knowledge.' I remember we once had to go and do a tick box basic first aid/food hygiene course as we were working in a place where we had access to a kitchen... He apparently scored 39/40 and was very proud of his achievement and even more so, when he learned I scored only 36 - the pass mark being 35... He went on about it for a week - then he found out that I'd only answered 36 questions in order to get my paper marked, be given my certificate and leave early - he was furious and wanted me to repeat the test saying there would be 'gaps in my knowledge.' He couldn't stand that I wasn't interested in winning and further infuriated when another staff member told him that technically he got beaten as I got 100% of the questions I answered... And don't get me started about the annual Christmas Bowling event where he took an office full of 8 stone girls bowling and beat them each year... that didn't go well for him either.

I was just about over it then a few years later went up to Yorkshire on business a few times and found myself feeling a little uncomfortable - albeit a generalist snapshot but the levels of prejudice toward ethnic minorities felt in comparison to having grown up in Leicester city, like moving back in time to a weird 'Life on Mars' 70's era of acceptability! And I attended a couple of Leeds matches too which wasn't great in terms of inclusiveness...That was over a decade ago though - maybe its all a bit different now.

I have fantastically brilliant friends from Yorkshire and they are funny and brilliant individuals - I'm not sure though that it's the Yorkshireness that makes them great!

15 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Do you reckon every country our size has this phenomena of people from one side pretending they're vastly different to the practically identical folk a hundred odd miles up the road?

Probably.  They have different languages in some of them!

Its interesting how a region retains it's dialect / accent and phraseology when there is so much movement of people.

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

I have fantastically brilliant friends from Yorkshire and they are funny and brilliant individuals - I'm not sure though that it's the Yorkshireness that makes them great!

"Some of my best friends are from Yorkshire"  :P

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Probably.  They have different languages in some of them!

Its interesting how a region retains it's dialect / accent and phraseology when there is so much movement of people.

It's the threat of violence.

I genuinely fear for outsiders that come to Leicester and don't learn quickly that a small, round bread object is a "cob" and never anything else.

Just now, Finnegan said:

It's the threat of violence.

I genuinely fear for outsiders that come to Leicester and don't learn quickly that a small, round bread object is a "cob" and never anything else.

Once I must confess I asked for a Cod & Chips in a chippy in Leicester, and the bloke said they had run out of Cobs.  After looking at each other in confusion for a minute I walked out again...

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

"Some of my best friends are from Yorkshire"  :P

No that should have read, I am prejudice and.... (Not I'm not racist but lol)

And no way would they be my 'best' friends - I'd say I tolerate them despite their Yorkshireness!

Archived