Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Graham Taylor dies

72. Just heard this.

For all the crap thrown at him during the England tenure, I used to enjoy listening to him in recent years on the radio. A football man through and through and I thought had a lot more knowledge than he was given credit for.

Very sad. 

57 minutes ago, bovril said:

Very sad. One of the greats of English club football.

Yes, this is what he should be  remembered for.

His was a top English coach.

Unfortunately his handling of Linker, and England went down badly in Leicester.

Even then , majority of UK fans believed  the press handled him poorly.Hence the quiet

respect shown towards him, after his England days.

Many a fan, many a coach, would of been proud to have had his career, and just maybe

his character...RIP ' to the man who just didnt like Orange'

Very sad day for us WFC fans - the man who really put us on the map (with Elton John) and then came back for a 2nd time and won promotion 2 again.

Of course there was the spell with England but generally was seen a good football man and a gentleman even at the time of heavy criticism.

Just now, Super_horns said:

Very sad day for us WFC fans - the man who really put us on the map (with Elton John) and then came back for a 2nd time and won promotion 2 again.

Of course there was the spell with England but generally was seen a good football man and a gentleman even at the time of heavy criticism.

Condolences, my friend.

3 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Having just read all the tributes on twitter that have been flooding in about him, I'd forgotten what an incredible job he did at Watford all those years ago. England and Lineker aside, he always came across as a gentleman and I thought he dealt with the England press with great dignity when their treatment of him was pretty ugly. I also enjoyed his co-commentary and insights on the radio. A bit of a hero and legend by all accounts and I'm sure you guys will give him the send off he deserves. A sad day for Watford and a sad day for football. RIP Graham Taylor. 

The suggestion was with England is that the players at the time didn't really get his ideas and way of playing (which is mainly what the press* hated...) and as ever with England there were a few selection debates.

(Maybe the fact we had got to the World Cup semis in 1990 increased the pressure and expectations)

No doubt it hurt him but GT went into the media later on so much have had some forgiveness.

*Even as manager of us in the 80s there was a lot of stick with suggestions of taking the game back years etc.

Archived