Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt_Lcfc

Against Modern football or not?

Firstly I would like to point out I'm way to young to remember the "football casual era" so correct me if I'm incorrect with my picture of what it used to be like. Just wondering if u miss the days of proper football and the day when there was none off this Sky bullshit and it was true proper football and the idea of a few pints with the lads and a fight outside the ground  was a normal sociable thing to do. Do you miss it? I can't say anything on this matter as I'm to young to know what it was like. 

Everyone will say yes they miss it

But i enjoy watching the top players from around the world in nice stadiums and the experience of being there.

I also enjoy the exposure sky gives to the game too.

Im sure many people preferred the old days but in the old days you were also penned into terraces you could die on, you watched games from behind metal fences and hooliganism was rife, and you watched players who were less professional than now playing at times on mudheaps in shit stadiums.

I was never into the fighting but yes, I miss all the rest. I miss standing at games the most. I also miss the magic of the FA Cup pre sponsorship and Man U ducking out of it to play in some BS world club comp instead. I miss players being able to tackle and get stuck in. I miss 1-11 on the back of shirts, black boots and only using two subs. I miss the amateurish and innocence of it all and I miss players who played because they loved the game, not just the money. I miss Ceefax, sports report, the days before social media and the FA Cup 3rd round draw at 1.00pm on a Monday afternoon. I miss it being called Division 1 and 2 instead of the EPL and Championship. And I miss England having a half decent national team to get behind.

Football has changed in so many ways since the Sky got involved. Some for the better, but a lot for the worse imo.

Proper football has got FA to do with fighting, in fact it's  largely the fault  of fighting that football has change to how it is today.

Guest CityFan 06

I am also too young to remember what football was like before the modern era. However, I do know I'm not keen on the modern football club and what that entails. Look at us - Poznan, Drums, Clappers and Goal Music. It's just not what most clubs do, and it's saddening sometimes as to what Leicester has become in that sense. I'm not looking for loads of comments against me here, but that's just what I think.

There are some good things about the modern game though.

I've watched football for 20 years and as Webbo said they have been unbelievable years. But the money involved in absurd and obscene. Part of me thinks let China take over, buy up the players for ridiculous money and we can go back to watching a competitive league with teams full of players you can relate to. 

2 TV games today and both total mismatches - not good for any viewers. No fault of Leicester or WBA, they are doing better than many similar size clubs who are stuck in the Championship. This season nobody can compete with the top 6 and that takes away some excitement. I fear that this may now continue for a long period with those teams getting more and more money, bigger stadiums and even better players.

27 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I was never into the fighting but yes, I miss all the rest. I miss standing at games the most. I also miss the magic of the FA Cup pre sponsorship and Man U ducking out of it to play in some BS world club comp instead. I miss players being able to tackle and get stuck in. I miss 1-11 on the back of shirts, black boots and only using two subs. I miss the amateurish and innocence of it all and I miss players who played because they loved the game, not just the money. I miss Ceefax, sports report, the days before social media and the FA Cup 3rd round draw at 1.00pm on a Monday afternoon. I miss it being called Division 1 and 2 instead of the EPL and Championship. And I miss England having a half decent national team to get behind.

Football has changed in so many ways since the Sky got involved. Some for the better, but a lot for the worse imo.

jezzy crezzy. i got a bit misty-eyed reading that. :( 

40 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

And I miss England having a half decent national team to get behind.

People often moan as if the national set up pre 92 was some halcyon period but it really wasn't all that was it? Italia 90 and 66 were great, bar that? Dogshit, really.

72 - didnt qualify

74 - didnt qualify

76 - didnt qualify

78 - didnt qualify

80 - out in the groups, finished 3rd

82 - out in the second round

84 - didnt qualify

86 - quarters, hand of god

88 - out in the groups

90 - semis

If anything we've enjoyed more success in the HATE MODERN FOOTBALL PERIOD. We were and always have been thoroughly average at national level.

4 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

People often moan as if the national set up pre 92 like it was some halcyon period but it really wasn't all that was it? Italia 90 and 66 were great, bar that? Dogshit, really.

72 - didnt qualify

74 - didnt qualify

76 - didnt qualify

78 - didnt qualify

80 - out in the groups, finished 3rd

82 - out in the second round

84 - didnt qualify

86 - quarters, hand of god

88 - out in the groups

90 - semis

If anything we've enjoyed more success in the HATE MODERN FOOTBALL PERIOD. We were and always have been thoroughly average at national level.

O.K. I'll try and rephrase it them.

I miss having a national team where representing your country was seen as the pinnacle of a career rather an annoying distraction from a regular PL weekend. A national team that I could relate to a bit more because the players weren't paid gross amounts of money that detached them from real life. A national team that didn't play meaningless friendlies just to make money, but played in a proper blood and guts home championship. A national team that didn't need need to spend over £100m on St Georges park to try and compete with other nations. I just miss having a national team that give a shit and care as much as the fans really - regardless of how average they are.

And I'm not sure this is a HATE MODERN FOOTBALL PERIOD really. There's lots of great things about the modern game and Leicester have benefited more than most from it. 

But I do wonder where it will all end and if the bubble will eventually burst one day. Or if the top 6 will join some European super league or something.

I'm all for progression in the right way, but still miss some stuff from the pre Sky era.

The game is of much higher quality and for me is far more entertaining now. I love the way that if I want I can watch about five games every weekend from the comfort of my living room. I love the way I can see some of the best footballers in the world on a regular basis. I love that there's always drama, that since fergie retired nobody has a clue who is going to win the prem anymore. I love it all tbh, it's a fantastic sport that's better now than ever. The only blight on it is the FA and FIFA for their corruption and general incompetence.

You want to see crap low profile football with low paid British footballers go and watch league two or the conference. You want to see a bunch of chavs fighting go to any northern city centre on a Friday night. It's all still there and it's just as shit as it ever was.

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

When you're making statements like "I miss ceefax" it's pretty clear you're overcome with nostalgia rather than making a rational analysis of the relative merits of the old and new game. You might as well say, "I miss being young", because that's basically what you mean. There's nothing wrong with yearning for your youth to an extent, but that's all to do with you and how you perceive your life and nothing to do with the qualities of modern football.

10 hours ago, Barky said:

When you're making statements like "I miss ceefax" it's pretty clear you're overcome with nostalgia rather than making a rational analysis of the relative merits of the old and new game. You might as well say, "I miss being young", because that's basically what you mean. There's nothing wrong with yearning for your youth to an extent, but that's all to do with you and how you perceive your life and nothing to do with the qualities of modern football.

lol O.K. mate, thanks for telling me what I really mean and how I perceive my life :thumbup:

I wasn't making an analysis of old vs new. I was stating what I miss, which is what the OP asked for. And what I miss is bound to make me a little nostalgic!

Ceefax served a great purpose for football fans before the birth of social media. It was the first thing I checked every day for results, news, transfers etc. and it was mainly facts. Unlike most of stuff these days which is just rumour mill, sensationalism and gossip. 

Don't miss getting to Filbert St bout 1.30-2.00 to secure a seat to stand on in Sk2.. Being a "Darkie" always had to be polite if I was saving a seat for a mate!!!

( Once got told -I abit having a paki tell me I can't sit here!).. The good old days...yeah really miss it!!!!

53 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

lol O.K. mate, thanks for telling me what I really mean and how I perceive my life :thumbup:

I wasn't making an analysis of old vs new. I was stating what I miss, which is what the OP asked for. And what I miss is bound to make me a little nostalgic!

Ceefax served a great purpose for football fans before the birth of social media. It was the first thing I checked every day for results, news, transfers etc. and it was mainly facts. Unlike most of stuff these days which is just rumour mill, sensationalism and gossip. 

Social media is just one aspect, and probably the worst part of modern football coverage, and it's very easy to ignore. You also have the rest of the internet in which you can find superb detailed analysis from games across the world, full hd streams, highlights etc. It's a million times better than ceefax. I didn't mean it personally when I said you're missing your youth, I mean generally that's what people are conveying when they yearn for 'how things were' in spite of the fact that what we have now is clearly vastly superior.

29 minutes ago, Barky said:

Social media is just one aspect, and probably the worst part of modern football coverage, and it's very easy to ignore. You also have the rest of the internet in which you can find superb detailed analysis from games across the world, full hd streams, highlights etc. It's a million times better than ceefax. I didn't mean it personally when I said you're missing your youth, I mean generally that's what people are conveying when they yearn for 'how things were' in spite of the fact that what we have now is clearly vastly superior.

No doubt all the things you mention are vastly superior now. I admire how the younger generation navigate their way through all the raft of detailed information with such ease really. But for older technophobes like me, it's all a bit daunting and complicated, hence my yearning for the simplicity of the old days I suppose. I'll just stick with my pipe, slippers and copy of the newspaper...:)

It seems to be a "social" outing now - the amount of people with their phones out is ridiculous. I'd much rather soak in an away atmosphere than record it and put in on social media just to prove to everyone I was there.

I travel every weekend, watch the game and go home. Never been interested in anything else apart from that.

32 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It seems to be a "social" outing now - the amount of people with their phones out is ridiculous. I'd much rather soak in an away atmosphere than record it and put in on social media just to prove to everyone I was there.

I travel every weekend, watch the game and go home. Never been interested in anything else apart from that.

if anyone films a free-kick or a penalty they need to be binned.

The noticeable difference however since we came up (and for the better) is that every game is an event within the Premier League. The city's pubs are busy and there's a bit of buzz about the place. 

I do feel football has become overanalysed. In some ways that's the beauty you find watching non league. 

Im all for televising football but they are reaching a point where you are showing too much. I'd have no issue if we had one game at Saturday 5.30 and then another on Sunday 4.00

The issue is really the lack of commonsense applied with all 'modern footballs' quirks. 

Archived