Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt_Lcfc

Against Modern football or not?

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

It seems to be a "social" outing now - the amount of people with their phones out is ridiculous. I'd much rather soak in an away atmosphere than record it and put in on social media just to prove to everyone I was there.

I travel every weekend, watch the game and go home. Never been interested in anything else apart from that.

Thats a point on society in general. It's  not a case of attending something for your enjoyment but more of 'I was there, I am better than you' factor. 

Whether its gigs, holidays, sporting events. 

18 hours ago, David Lowe said:

2 TV games today and both total mismatches - not good for any viewers. No fault of Leicester or WBA, they are doing better than many similar size clubs who are stuck in the Championship. This season nobody can compete with the top 6 and that takes away some excitement. I fear that this may now continue for a long period with those teams getting more and more money, bigger stadiums and even better players.

What on earth is this? We are about 8 months past Leicester winning the league! Nobody can compete with the top 6? Did I just dream Everton winning 4-0 against Man City? A few months ago everybody was saying that with the huge amounts of TV money teams will be drawn together again. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Thats a point on society in general. It's  not a case of attending something for your enjoyment but more of 'I was there, I am better than you' factor. 

Whether its gigs, holidays, sporting events. 

Yeah true tbf. 

I miss there being the slight chance that a local lad might play for his home town club.

I'm not suggesting a Celtic 1967 scenario, where 10 of the team were fairly locally born, but you definitely feel a bit more shared pride if a player is a genuine local and supports the team, too.

Nowadays, if you can get one or two lads from your academy (who were probably brought in from elsewhere as teenagers) you are doing well in the Premier League.

6 hours ago, Fox92 said:

It seems to be a "social" outing now - the amount of people with their phones out is ridiculous. I'd much rather soak in an away atmosphere than record it and put in on social media just to prove to everyone I was there.

I travel every weekend, watch the game and go home. Never been interested in anything else apart from that.

Now that is a slight bonus, I can go to the footy, gigs, festivals etc. and fully enjoy it knowing that if anything special happens someone else will have recorded it for me, saving me the effort, for prosperity meaning I can watch it for real and not through a 4 inch screen, then later I can view someone's elses work at leisure. lol 

5 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I miss there being the slight chance that a local lad might play for his home town club.

I'm not suggesting a Celtic 1967 scenario, where 10 of the team were fairly locally born, but you definitely feel a bit more shared pride if a player is a genuine local and supports the team, too.

Nowadays, if you can get one or two lads from your academy (who were probably brought in from elsewhere as teenagers) you are doing well in the Premier League.

I know its from last year but this will give you an idea of the numbers:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/03/which-premier-league-clubs-boast-the-most-local-boys/

Pretty pathetic numbers really. Not only that, the figures also count players who have been purchased too, like Antonio who was bought by West Ham from Forest.

14 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I thought it was so refreshing today to see the young lad Tom Davies score for Everton. He sounded genuinely chuffed and humbled when handed the MOTM award and I could sense the pride oozing out of him being a local scouser.

And sadly this is the exception not the rule these days. Who have we got in our current first team set up now who we can genuinely say is "one of our own"?

20 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I was never into the fighting but yes, I miss all the rest. I miss standing at games the most. I also miss the magic of the FA Cup pre sponsorship and Man U ducking out of it to play in some BS world club comp instead. I miss players being able to tackle and get stuck in. I miss 1-11 on the back of shirts, black boots and only using two subs. I miss the amateurish and innocence of it all and I miss players who played because they loved the game, not just the money. I miss Ceefax, sports report, the days before social media and the FA Cup 3rd round draw at 1.00pm on a Monday afternoon. I miss it being called Division 1 and 2 instead of the EPL and Championship. And I miss England having a half decent national team to get behind.

Football has changed in so many ways since the Sky got involved. Some for the better, but a lot for the worse imo.

:appl:

18 hours ago, lildave3 said:

What on earth is this? We are about 8 months past Leicester winning the league! Nobody can compete with the top 6? Did I just dream Everton winning 4-0 against Man City? A few months ago everybody was saying that with the huge amounts of TV money teams will be drawn together again. 

Last season was the turning point. The big 6 realised that they were all making mistakes and have now put things right. The team in 8th were nowhere near Spurs. The champions were nowhere near Chelsea.

They will now turn into an unstoppable force with massive stadiums and top players/managers.

Society has changed & football has changed in accordance. We (as a society) are not as aggressive, racist or homophobic as we used to be & that is reflected in football. We are however far more money orientated, willing to blindly shell out vast sums for what is (opinions obviously vary) not great value. I.E Music gigs, boutique restaurants & hotels & touted football tickets. This is also reflected in modern football.

This is also the "age of the celebrity" & people will pay vast amounts just to beat an "event" without actually enjoying the event itself. The constant use of the mobile for snaps, checking your social media during football / gigs is bewildering but its modern life so you get used to it.

It makes me feel and seem like an old man now, but the modern football of the mid-90's to the mid 00's seemed to be the misty eyed best.

Back then there was money, football was cool but it was still controlled. Maybe a couple of hundred matches a season on TV, European football etc. Nike's "Cage" campaign being utterly epic. Modern football was in its infancy and I absolutely loved it. Football songs before World Cups and Euros, it feels like such innocent times now. The highest paid player was earning £70k a week, European matches felt epic, international tournaments were ground-shakingly big and Gareth Southgate wore a paper bag on his head to advertise Pizza.

Now we have Paul Pogba with his own hashtag and face on the hoardings in matches he's playing, 1000+ matches on TV, hype beyond belief for games being given rubbish titles. Back-up players commanding £10m+ fees and youth players earning over £1m before they've played professionally. The fact European matches are the same every season, major tournaments are over-inflated and drab.

I'm probably pulling the same faces some people were 10-15 years ago at the old "modern football" I bet, when I'd have told them to get with it. But it just doesn't feel the same as that era. Everything felt fresh, new, vibrant (and I'm 27 so I reckon it'd be even more stark for those who lived through the 60's-80's!) and now it's, well... not.

The Premier League era has been very kind to us as City fans- 3 trophies, 8 Wembley trips, 3 European campaigns, double the attendances we were getting before, plenty of promotions and near misses- I would guess our top half finishes in that time greatly outweigh our bottom half finishes (compare that to Coventry, who haven't finished in the top 6 of any division for 50 years).

However, there is a certain sterility about it all these days. It's family-orientated which is great for the kids, and safe, which is great all round. I can't help but enjoy the experiences with a bit of edge more though- abuse traded between sets of fans, the old grounds which are shiteholes but have plenty of character, the residential areas and pubs around the grounds instead of shopping centres, standing instead of sitting.

My first game was in 1996, so I'm way too young to have experienced the dark ages/golden era (whichever one you want to call it, you hear it both ways), but I remember Filbert Street having this real sense of mystery about it as a kid- plenty of corners, low ceilings, narrow walkways, etc- these days you just get what you expect from the new stadiums, there isn't a great deal to take in or experience. I got the old feeling from Goodison Park though. The concourse was just plain weird; floor on a slope, low pipes, the toilet tucked away in a tiny room at the back, it was great. The turnstile was basically just a door! Real shame those grounds are being replaced, much of the character and history of the English game are held within them. I absolutely hated the new Wembley. Looks great, but there was just no atmosphere- 40,000 United fans going mental when Ibrahimovic scored, and I could hardly hear a thing. Nothing on the old one, despite the state it was in. It makes me a bit sad to think that I never got to visit grounds like Highfield Road, The Dell or the Baseball Ground. 

Hopefully safe standing is introduced, as I think it would go a long way to adding a bit of tradition to our ground and improving the atmosphere. Sadly though, a lot of the great things about the English game are being lost, forgotten or demolished and replaced.

as Gary Lineker said football didn't begin with the Premier League! there was plenty of great football without the moneymen and the riches that football is now.there was less foreign ownership, now you have practically every club in the Premier league under foreign ownership and the number of foreign players just keeps getting bigger because buying players from abroad is cheaper than young English players with even Championship teams spending millions on players.

player wages have just gone through the roof and clubs no longer rely on the money the fans pay to watch as they get so much now from television rights and other sponsorship. Premier league clubs no longer rely on fans paying through the turnstiles and we have become less and less important as fans from all over the world want to buy the Premier league product and are willing to buy all the merchandise from the clubs.

While I generally share a lot of the 'Against Modern Football' sentiment, I do wish those who bleat about it would do more to combat it themselves. You've got organisations such as the FSF constantly fighting on issues like policing/ticket pricing/standing/drinking during the game, but their campaigns are only as good as the numbers who get behind them.

Joining up and actively supporting their work is the best thing you can do to get the things you want back. Moaning, describing organised supporters' groups as "cringe/mongy" etc and putting #AMF next to everything won't. But then, we do live in England so I think we can guess what most would rather do.

The things I remember about going down to Filbert Street that I miss:

- standing in the Spion Kop and surging when we scored (or looked like scoring)

- the tension (knowing at any time a group of opposition fans could come round the corner)... a little masochistic maybe, but true nonetheless

- the magic songs we sung

- none of the having to be completely PC about every bloody thing

- knowing the players were earning well, but not the obscene and frankly bizarre sums of money they get paid these days

- shirts with flyaway collars and stay press denims lol

- going into the ground on some occasions utterly pissed up

- Phil Gee's mullet

- Ewan Roberts getting his head on everything

- Watching Kalac having possibly the most amazingly bad performance in goal I've ever seen..and actually laughing

- Proper tackles, rather than players who fall over when the wind blows them too hard

Basically the whole thing was more of a piss-take back then really. Now it's all too serious.

Fond memories.

You'll always have the talk of the 'good old days'

My sport in Ireland Gaelic Football has to put up with this notion that the game is a lot worse than it was in the 70s and 80s by people who played the game back then and ho every game is bad and not worthy of their standards. b''''''''s to that I say. I get annoyed when people bad mouth our national game and it shouldn't be any different for you lot.

Yes in Footbal players are paid maybe too much money and there is a lot of games on TV but is there not sports in the US similar and they seem to get on alright.Try living like Vardy or Mahrez last year and try and live a normal life without fans or the press wanting a piece of you. Fat chance. A lot of pressure to play at the highest level that we would be surprised to discover.

Musicians get paid a lot of money for sometimes a lot less physically demanding work but you never hear of people moaning about musicians or music itself.We would take the financial rewards if we had the talent and no mistake.

People complain but life would be a lot duller without football. Magazines, TV shows, Foxes Talk, the talke .Like everything there will be good and bad.

Enjoy it.

On 15/01/2017 at 18:25, Vacamion said:

Nowadays watching certain local/fierce games on tv and you rarely see local players. Liverpool v Manchester United at the weekend for example - there were two scousers on the pitch and one of those was Rooney... Game loses it's edge a bit. When Neville/Carragher/Gerrard played you know it'd kick off. The amount of times Gerrard was sent off against either United or Everton.

I've only really grown up with "modern" football as I started going towards the end of O'Neill's tenure. Ted Maul pretty much nails it when he said the late 90s and 00s had more about them but that's probably because we were younger and it was newer to us. 

Money was always obscene and it's going to keep going that way until it implodes. The Manchester derby summed it up for me. Sky building doing their usual shit-fest build up about the pride of Manchester and the only two english players City had playing were bought for a near combined fee of £100m. Neither of which are megastars.

Having said all that, we won the league in 2016 so who cares.

Archived