Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt_Lcfc

Against Modern football or not?

For all of our success recently I don't think I am anywhere near as engaged by football these days as I was.

The absurd wages and ever widening gap between those that watch and those that play are turning me against this game.

It's no longer a sport, or a representation of where you are from. It's a show that relies on us mugs to make it a product that they can pretend is authentic.

Part of me hopes it all comes crumbling down and the money drops out of the game.

There's no denying that football has improved no end over the last 20/30 years, the introduction of the 'Premier League' brand has revolutionised our game and made it far more popular to the masses, along with increased safety, stadia etc. However, the past year or so has really changed my opinion on modern football as a direct result of our success. To name but a few:-

• The influence of Uefa on our matches in CL is beyond a joke. Regulations on everything from beer sold in nearby pubs to how tall a mascot can be for Christ' sake.
  • The desperation from 'modern football fans' for one of 4/5 clubs to win the Premier League year in year out and opinion that a team like us wining it is a disgrace/embarrassment.
  • The embarrassment that is our national team.
  •  Paul Pogba and everything that surrounds him.
  • The 'Possession is everything' breed.
  • Social media's influence on football/fans.

I'm still incredibly passionate about my team and the game, but football has definitely lost it's 'working man's' character to a large degree over the past few years. Some will say that's for the best, however. 

I started late 50s, early 60s.

"Modern football"....every generation hears from the last generation how it used to be better...!!!

Crap, Crap and crap again, ditto for todays world...

I have great memories from all generations of football, club, international, sunday, saturday morning, weekday leagues.

The slow introduction of seeing foreign legends, then foreigners first playing in Uk.

Todays tv, todays exposure is Brilliant.There were players like Payert way back then with attitude.

John n y haynes  and Alan Clark, teammates but playing delibrately poor balls to each other..

Spurs double team, Leeds, Chelsea greats, who werent the best of teammates..

Todays UK TV companies, not showing top games.Missing out on FA cup 3rd round...etc etc.

Bad, and corrupt journalism or reporting, plus top reporting...Followed me through my life, no change.

Money..always an issue. Exposure in social media, has given fans the belief that they themselves are world experts.

IMHO....not a grumpy ol man.. The football, its exposure, its analyse is better spread, even with bias reporters, the

world, listens and see, the audience is not more intelligent but wiser.

The football itself, has its downers, but improves and and sometimes brilliant, past memories are great, but

I am watching far more a better game today, live or on TV.

Pele, Maradonna, Best, Weller, Charlton, Beckenbauer, Cross, Riva..brilliant W Class/top class over the generations.

Last 5 years, I could name the same group type, just different names..Football is as good as ever. Money its there

in the society, the amount and ratio is different.Some  English youngsters are too arrogant, before they even have a name.

Thats the big difference. 

I prefer todays games, than those of yesteryear.  I am not enjoying the season  Leicester are having, it is poor and turgid.

that said, there is great football being played elsewhere around UK  and WWide  plus like all International tournaments, the AFCON has

good and poor games, but its quality has slowly improved.

I am given more opportunities to see the greats today, like Messi, Ronaldo, etc, also the top also-rans.

How would of the greats of yesteryear handled or been seen by fans with todays exposure.

Ditto for the future generations in 60yrs -100yrs time....:D

On 1/18/2017 at 16:16, Lako42 said:

The absurd wages and ever widening gap between those that watch and those that play are turning me against this game.

I wonder if the uber-rich are thinking 'finally, players we can relate too. I was sick of these out-of-touch factory workers' lol

2 hours ago, winchesterton said:

I wonder if the uber-rich are thinking 'finally, players we can relate too. I was sick of these out-of-touch factory workers' lol

The uber rich own the clubs or represent the players.

They cant relate to anyone sincerely

3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

C3fhzzwWcAApKZd.jpg

Pretty funny stuff and typical of modern fans.  Happy to protest against blackpool but as soon as UTD come to town, lets all go instead.

Yeah saw this yesterday. No backbone.

But then, what can you do when you know thousands of United part-timers will just take your place if you don't go?

Guest LCFC_World
On 18 January 2017 at 14:37, AKCJ said:

Pisses me off that the majority of the "I HATE MODERN FOOTBALL" brigade are 20 year old hipsters with an instagram account and skinny jeans.

**** off.

lol . So what? They may have heard stories from parents, grandparents etc which has convinced them that football 25 years ago was more enjoyable. They may have watched videos of fans back in the day and thought "it'd be great to be a part of that atmosphere". They may think footballers earn way to much money these days and they are completely out of touch with the fans.  What they wear on their legs and their age is irrelevant. 

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Yeah saw this yesterday. No backbone.

But then, what can you do when you know thousands of United part-timers will just take your place if you don't go?

Key point

One suspects that ground could easily be at full capacity for the game but just full of United fans. You're also going to lose a lot of casuals. Easy to sack off Blackpool, the casuals don't care. Try and boycott United though and they won't give a damn about the protest (you know 100% of fans are never in favour of the protest.) May as well try the above and capture those casuals in the protest.

It's a no-win situation. Boycott and you get a huge partisan attendance, don't boycott and you've not got a backbone. Tricky.

4 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Protest outside? 

Unless you're going to start acting like Dynamo Dresden Ultras and start quizzing people at the turnstiles, then beating them up if they don't have sufficient knowledge of Blackburn Rovers the part-timers will still get in and your protest won't be heard.

I think social media has benefitted the game in many ways - fans organising pre-match plans together(tribute flags to former players that died etc), strengthening regular communication between fans and clubs etc.

But one thing I don't like in this day and age is the 'Fit and Proper Person' tests for new owners.

If the likes of Massimo Cellino (in particular, apparently suspended by the FA from Leeds but still somehow able to attend games...) and Vincent Tan can pass it, anyone can...

Corporates going to matches with other football tourists/corporates sitting on their hands whilst complaining about a lack of atmosphere, as if  the 'match day experience'  involves being entertained by the action on the pitch and in the stands whilst not contributing at all.

Archived