Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leamington Fox

Our Best Starting XI

I appreciate that the mood is not that high after our defeat at the hands of Chelsea, but I do think we have an embarrassment of riches in some departments.  Help me with the following:

1.  Is it feasible to have a starting XI featuring Mahrez, Gray, Slimani and Vardy? It is getting Mahrez and Gray starting that I am struggling with.

2.  Can Chilwell and Fuchs both start effectively or is it a straight swap? It did not work on Saturday.  I think Chilwell will be the regular left back by the end of the season if not before.  Fuchs might hang around for another season.

3.  What happens to Amartey on his return from the AFCON now that Ndidi and Mendy are looking pretty useful in CM?  I fear he'll be straight on to the bench, assuming no injuries and nobody needs a rest.  He's grown with regular appearances and I don't want to see him regress in confidence.

Kasper

Simpson 

Fuchs

Morgan

Huth

Albrighton 

Mahrez

Drinkwater

Ndidi

Vardy

Slimani

That's what I'd be going with now, probably switch it to a 4-5-1 away at the top sides.

I'm pleading for a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 that would look like this 

Kasper

Simpson Amartey Huth Chilwell

Mendy  Ndidi

Drinkwater

Mahrez                Gray

Slim

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Kasper

Simpson 

Fuchs

Morgan

Huth

Albrighton 

Mahrez

Drinkwater

Ndidi

Vardy

Slimani

That's what I'd be going with now, probably switch it to a 4-5-1 away at the top sides.

So no Gray, Chilwell or Mendy?  It's difficult though.  For me, the only certs are Kasper, Mahrez, Drinky, Ndidi, Vardy and Slimani on ability.  Simpson, Morgan and Huth are inevitable due to lack of competition.  Is Albrighton the best we can do?  Hmm...

Just now, ZeGuy said:

I'm pleading for a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 that would look like this 

Kasper

Simpson Amartey Huth Chilwell

Mendy  Ndidi

Drinkwater

Mahrez                Gray

Slim

Interesting.  Tough on Vardy (who i just said was a "cert"!), but he's off the boil.  Quite like the idea of Amartey as a CD, but hard to know how that partnership with Huth would work out from afar.

3.  What happens to Amartey on his return from the AFCON now that Ndidi and Mendy are looking pretty useful in CM?  I fear he'll be straight on to the bench, assuming no injuries and nobody needs a rest.  He's grown with regular appearances and I don't want to see him regress in confidence.

Maybe the time is right to try Amartey at CB. Many on here have been calling for it, what with Morgan and Huth appearing to have got old very quickly.

4 minutes ago, Leamington Fox said:

So no Gray, Chilwell or Mendy?  It's difficult though.  For me, the only certs are Kasper, Mahrez, Drinky, Ndidi, Vardy and Slimani on ability.  Simpson, Morgan and Huth are inevitable due to lack of competition.  Is Albrighton the best we can do?  Hmm...

Nope, Gray only seems to produce his best performances when games are already dead and Chilwell still has a lot to learn. I don't see them as first teamers yet.

It appears to be Mendy, Amartey or Ndidi for the defensive central role and from what I've seen so far it's the latter.

Although Albrighton will be finished if he's really being moved from left wing to right wing back to accommodate all these midfielders. 

2 minutes ago, Leamington Fox said:

Interesting.  Tough on Vardy (who i just said was a "cert"!), but he's off the boil.  Quite like the idea of Amartey as a CD, but hard to know how that partnership with Huth would work out from afar.

I know it's tough on Vards, but unless he gets one more string to his bow, it's difficult to play him as starter in this formation. Even if he's getting only scraps, no team, absolutely no team will allow him space to make his runs.

Just now, AKCJ said:

Right now I think it's something like this;

Schmeichel

Simpson Huth Morgan Fuchs

Albrighton Mendy Drinkwater Gray

Mahrez

Slimani

But even then I don't rate that too much. We desperately need a CAM.

You're seriously letting Ndidi out? I think that the guy is a must have on the starting XI. Also unless Drinky steps up you don't have an attacking midfielder to support Mahrez. It won't work.

Just now, ZeGuy said:

You're seriously letting Ndidi out? I think that the guy is a must have on the starting XI. Also unless Drinky steps up you don't have an attacking midfielder to support Mahrez. It won't work.

Out of the three, yes.

Ndidi is only 20, he'll get there with Amartey. 

My team

Kasper 

Simpson      huth    Morgan    fuchs 

Ndidi    mendy 

Drinkwater 

Mahrez                                      gray 

Vardy/slimani 

(Depends who we are playing)

-----------------Kasper

Simpson---Morgan---Huth----Fuchs/Chilwell 

-----------NDidi----Drinkwater

Albrighton------Mahrez-----Vardy

--------------Slimani

i wouldn't argue with anyone slating that and I appreciate Vardy isn't a winger and Mahrez rarely excels in the hole. But it protects the centre halves, allows for flexibility and features our best players (some may say Gray for Albrighton but that's a simple swap). 

If we had a good young centre half (maybe we do) then I'd probably pick a completely different system. 

Schmeichel

Simpson         Amartey         Huth     Chilwell

Mendy

Drinky          Ndidi

Mahrez                                               Gray

Slimani

-----------------------------------------------------Schmeichel--------------------------------------------------------------

-----Simpson---------------------Morgan--------------------------Huth--------------------------Chilwell/Fuchs------

------------------------------------------Ndidi--------------------Drinky/Mendy---------------------------------------------

----Mahrez---------------------------------------Okazaki------------------------------------------------Albrighton-------

-----------------------------------------------------Vardy------------------------------------------------------------------------

48 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Out of the three, yes.

Ndidi is only 20, he'll get there with Amartey. 

If you're good enough, you're old enough. I don't think Ndidi was brought to be on the bench. He's far better and more versatile than Mendy and he's gonna be a starter for every game.

Archived