Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Groom Speech

3 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I won't be having a best man at my wedding next year. Does that mean I have to spend time hammering myself before I do the nicey nicey stuff? :D

Anyone who doesn't claw some title winning reference into their speech over the next couple of years is mad. Open goal!

I was toying with the idea of not having a best man. I don't know your reason for not having one, perhaps you cant decide how to narrow down a long list to just 1. I don't really have any close friends (shocking, i know!) but there's nothing wrong with asking a family member to do the job. My best man is one of my cousins, a decision that i so far have definitely not regretted. I may change that opinion after his speech, but only time will tell!

11 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I was toying with the idea of not having a best man. I don't know your reason for not having one, perhaps you cant decide how to narrow down a long list to just 1. I don't really have any close friends (shocking, i know!) but there's nothing wrong with asking a family member to do the job. My best man is one of my cousins, a decision that i so far have definitely not regretted. I may change that opinion after his speech, but only time will tell!

I thought I was alone! I genuinely don't have any close friends or family who I think I'd be comfortable asking, so I'm not going to bother. At least you had a reserve reserve! I do wonder if certain aspects of the wedding require a best man, I'm sure your experiences might show that your cousin is working out for the best! Do you expect his speech to be really embarrassing or will it be pretty bog standard (depends how well you know the cousins I guess!)

3 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I thought I was alone! I genuinely don't have any close friends or family who I think I'd be comfortable asking, so I'm not going to bother. At least you had a reserve reserve! I do wonder if certain aspects of the wedding require a best man, I'm sure your experiences might show that your cousin is working out for the best! Do you expect his speech to be really embarrassing or will it be pretty bog standard (depends how well you know the cousins I guess!)

Luckily i am quite close to my cousins, and the one i asked i actually have a lot in common with - although he can't stand football. I think in another life if we weren't related, we could easily still be friends. He does a lot of public speaking for his job (Educational tours in a zoo) and has a great sense of humour so i'm expecting a pretty good speech from him.

Even if you're not that close to any of your family members, anyone you ask would be flattered that you considered them the best one for the job. maybe your dad or an uncle or cousin?

To be fair though, my cousin has done absolutely nothing in terms of helping out with the wedding plans. Which i don't have a problem with as he works 6 and a half days a week most weeks and lives 100 miles away. I think these days the main purpose of a best man is to give a speech, so if you've decided not to have one i wouldn't think it will make too much difference on the day itself. I think its quite common these days not to have one.

42 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I dont think there are set rules on the order, but traditionally speaking, i'm led to believe that it goes:

1. Father of the Bride
  2. Groom
  3. Best Man

Did Best Man in September and that was our order. Bride's dad's a big Coventry fan so gave me plenty of time to think of some comebacks for his digs at Leicester, not that I needed much. :D

25 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

It's your day, and if you don't want a best man then you don't have to have one. Having said that though, just because you don't have any "close" friends or family doesn't mean you can't ask someone. Go for someone (relatively) sensible who will help you on the day - make sure you are where you need to be, and correctly attired for example and who will help keep you calm. No law saying it has to be a really close pal - I did it for someone who I wouldn't really regard as a "close" friend - in fact I've hardly seen him in the 5 years since the wedding, but I was still flattered to be asked and like to think I helped him out.

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Did Best Man in September and that was our order. Bride's dad's a big Coventry fan so gave me plenty of time to think of some comebacks for his digs at Leicester, not that I needed much. :D

I bet that was the easiest job all day :D

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Piece of piss. Great way to alienate half my audience before my speech began though. lol

May have to do something similar since the other halves family are all either Wednesday or Rotherham fans. won't have the same effect as if it was a local "rival" but i'm sure it will get a few cheers from my very smug side of the family at least!

4 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Ok, so i'm getting married on saturday and realised i haven't even begun thinking about writing my speech!

Can anyone give me some advice on what i should and shouldnt say? I do know that the Father of the Bride and Best Man speeches are the big ones, so the pressure is off me a little bit, but that doesn't mean i should be able to just blag it, does it? Also, public speaking terrifies me! (Probably why i haven't even thought about writing the speech yet)

Talk about her and why you love her with a funny story or anecdote that makes fun of yourself - she needs to feel at the end of your speech like she's the most special amazing and loved person - by you.

14 minutes ago, Firegrande said:

I've got to do a best man's speech in May

Not really a public speaker, so not looking forward to it 

Just relax and take your time. Make sure you prepare. Everyone knows how nerve wracking it can be so the audience tend to be rooting for you.

3 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I did mine off the top of my head and thanked everyone successfully... except my wife! :blush::whistle:

Hope you have a great day!

3 hours ago, shen said:

Winged mine. If there are specific things you wish to mention, I suppose making a few bullet points is fine. Think you should just be honest and true and mostly address your new wife.

Rub it in why don't you! :angry:

I've been best man a few times and it's terrifying, but once you get the first laugh, and if you've prepared it well you'll be fine. But as groom the pressure is really on the best man, knock him down a peg or two and dishonour his character so quite clearly anything he says can't be trusted lol

Look on youtube for speeches and remember you have to get a few mother inlaw jokes in, 5 minutes of mercilously ripping her will ensure you'll never be invited round again and won't have to miss any footy due to stupid family get togethers. 

Hope that helps. :D 

Never had a best man speech at my wedding. My  older brother was an MC and threw in some comedy here or there but we wanted less speech and more partying.

I prepared some notes to keep track of what i wanted to say but spoke on the fly mainly. If you got a funny streak  you will be able to drop some humour on the fly. If not dont fret.

The only person who is really listening is your bride.  The rest of us have to listen to your blabber when all we want to do is drink! Hehe. Keep it simple, honest and short. :)

Congrats  wish you two all the best!

A good opening line can make you feel at ease and get everyone on your side (which they will be anyway but still)

Mine was "As is the way with weddings I've spent the last couple of weeks getting my credit card out and preparing a few lines and given we're off to Colombia on honeymoon on Monday it'll probably be a similar story over there"

Half the room (our friends) pissed themselves, the other half (our family) looked confused. It was a winner.

Congrats for getting married ! ...    I've only been asked to be a best man 4 times (good going with 5 Stripey !) ...    and each was different ...   first time wrote it all down with prompts on cards and then got half p1ssed ...    couldn't read my own writing (due to the drink) and threw the cards in the air and did some ab libbing (although I could remember most of it anyway).   Got better with practice after that.

The drink before helped me, but don't have too much that you make a pigs ear of it.   The grooms speech is much easier and if you can get a few laughs, a few ahhhs from the older people, and the odd teary eye, you've got it cracked.   If you are really cr@pping it get your hands on a beta blocker ...    my mate who's a doc gave me one when I had to do a big important presentation to a room full of people and it really calmed me down.   Anyways ...   Good luck !!   :thumbup:

On 17/01/2017 at 16:00, Swan Lesta said:

Talk about her and why you love her with a funny story or anecdote that makes fun of yourself - she needs to feel at the end of your speech like she's the most special amazing and loved person - by you.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Archived