Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Snik-Snok

Have we ever signed an actual first choice Premier League player?

This talk of signing Gaston Ramirez has got me thinking.  Have we ever signed a player from a Premier League club who was in their first choice starting 11?  

In recent years we've signed Huth and Albrighton but they were not first choice players at the time.  

Going back I can't think of any.  Ian Walker I think was back up at Spurs.  Frank Sinclair is a maybe, although I remember him as a Chelsea squad player who happened to be playing quite regularly due to injuries, but wouldn't have been in their team when everyone was fit and available.

Is there anyone?  Would Ramirez be the first?

Now thinking of Matty Jones though sure he was a squad player and that cvnt of cvnts Mr Wise. Admin should close this thread bringing back painful memories perhaps the OP should have asked if had signed anyone who was any good from a premiership side.

Buying one now though would represent terrible value. The best way to recruit PL players is to pick up young fringe players from bigger clubs or if you have done your homework on players who have stagnated and have a point to prove. Going for the likes of Deeney, Michael Keane etc commands a massive fee that is not really worth it most of the time.

Nils-Eric Johansson was in the starting eleven at Rovers during the 2004-2005 season then we signed him that summer, if I recall. 

But then again his wiki says he was released... So that probably doesn't count.

I'm clutching at straws here, so the answer is certainly "not many."

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Buying one now though would represent terrible value. The best way to recruit PL players is to pick up young fringe players from bigger clubs or if you have done your homework on players who have stagnated and have a point to prove. Going for the likes of Deeney, Michael Keane etc commands a massive fee that is not really worth it most of the time.

Must admit, i have given up trying to work out wether players represent value for money... Im a little bit old school. I though getting 800 grand for Lineker was great buisness.

The Influx of money into the premier league now has made that incalculable.

Do they improve the team? Thats all i care about now..

8 minutes ago, somebum said:

Tony Cottee?

Didn't we get him from a Malaysian team or somewhere obscure?

I'm sure some of the others mentioned above were signed from PL teams though...

Archived