Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Snik-Snok

Have we ever signed an actual first choice Premier League player?

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

Sorry OP what's it matter where a player comes from. If a player come from the City league and done a job that's all that counts.

Kante done a job n was not prem. Could we have bought better. At the time I say no.

I would have asked how many players have we bought that done the job from the start. ?

20 minutes ago, sylofox said:

No my point is its a wider question. Why does it matter where a player comes from. If the club pays for a player they should do the job.

kids are different you buy hoping they will.

Chill out go get laid or something 

6 hours ago, Koke said:

He scored 11 goals in 20 games for us. Clearly a quality striker. I do remember at the time he'd get stick for being lazy and some people said "all Yakubu does is score goals". :D

It became a FT joke for a while. I actually feel it's creeping back in with Slimani. "He's poor, all he does is score goals".

He was class! That goal against Derby :) 

i think we'd of probably gone up the season after had we signed him permanantly! Was gutted when we didnt 

5 hours ago, pds said:

Dean Sturridge was a regular in the team for Derby when we signed him.

Pretty sure he had a big fall out with the manager of the time and wasn't training. He had just been sent out on loan to the championship, can't remember all the details but he wasn't playing regularly at the time.

Very few players that get transferred are first team regulars though. There's 11 places in a squad of 25, plus non-squad players so realistically only a third of a club's players will play regularly, the rest are fringe players and unwanted talents. It's far easier to negotiate the transfer of a bloke who's not getting game time than of one who plays regularly and has a higher value.

13 hours ago, Jonno84 said:

I think Gary was from Aston villa

I carnt really think of any and that's worrying

Have you read through the thread? Some of our signings in 03/04 were first team regulars. As I said, Wise definitely was, having played 30+ games the season before for Chelsea.

On 1/18/2017 at 13:43, Fox92 said:

Didn't realise it was an English exam

Think you misread his comment fox92. Don't think he was correcting your spelling (especially as your spelling was correct anyway), he meant Dennis Wise was surly, which I imagine we'd all agree with.

Its a great question really and just a bit of an eye opener on how reliant most clubs are on the overseas market or lower leagues.

To answer the question Id guess at maybe SImpson at QPR although they did get relegated that season. I think he was in and out of that team though after off field stuff. If not I cant think of anyone else and my head starts to hurt if I have to search too far back in history because a lot of it Ive blocked out.

9 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Have you read through the thread? Some of our signings in 03/04 were first team regulars. As I said, Wise definitely was, having played 30+ games the season before for Chelsea.

I think the point is have we signed any 1st team regulars as well as players that clubs don't want to sell, Wise was a regular season before but when Chelsea sold him to us he was surplus to requirement. I really can't think of any players we brought from another premiership club that the selling club don't want to let go or we actually outbid another to club to get their star player.

Like how we lost kante to Chelsea, if we can get sigurson from Swansea then I can truly say we signed a player that another prem team don't want to sell.

Parker , Robins, yakubu- the selling teams are willing to let go, like Huth, Simpson and Albrighton 

13 hours ago, Topman said:

I think the point is have we signed any 1st team regulars as well as players that clubs don't want to sell, Wise was a regular season before but when Chelsea sold him to us he was surplus to requirement. I really can't think of any players we brought from another premiership club that the selling club don't want to let go or we actually outbid another to club to get their star player.

Like how we lost kante to Chelsea, if we can get sigurson from Swansea then I can truly say we signed a player that another prem team don't want to sell.

Parker , Robins, yakubu- the selling teams are willing to let go, like Huth, Simpson and Albrighton 

Tbf though how would we. We're not massive club and especially if we'd have just been promoted. 

Allan Clarke  was signed from Fulham who'd  just been relegated from L1 / top tier for  a British record fee but sold him to Leeds a year later for a new record fee.

On 1/18/2017 at 12:41, katieakita said:

Now thinking of Matty Jones though sure he was a squad player and that cvnt of cvnts Mr Wise. Admin should close this thread bringing back painful memories perhaps the OP should have asked if had signed anyone who was any good from a premiership side.

I think the amount we paid for Wise is still a record for a player of his age.

Archived