Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Free Falling Foxes

Orwellian Leicester.

I know we British are suppsed to be the most watched people on the planet with CCTV and the like but I felt like I was in 1984 walking by the cathedral yesterday. A tannoy suddenly boomed out 'Please be aware you are being monitored' I was half expecting to see Soulsby's image being projected on the side of the building issuing dictums.

Just now, Free Falling Foxes said:

I know we British are suppsed to be the most watched people on the planet with CCTV and the like but I felt like I was in 1984 walking by the cathedral yesterday. A tannoy suddenly boomed out 'Please be aware you are being monitored' I was half expecting to see Soulsby's image being projected on the side of the building issuing dictums.

Give it time! :whistle:

54 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

This has been happening for some time and we, as a society, have tolerated it. 

Cctv is never used to prosecute, really. It's used to observe. 

It's not true that it is never used to prosecute, it supports many cases of prosecution. Workplace CCTV primary use is used to check on employees and it probably needs clamping down on.

That is really grim. I can just about stomach every inch of every populous area being smothered in cctv because it should be there when you need it, but having a voice issuing warnings like that is really quite horrible.

13 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Past the cathedral you say? Maybe it was a voice from the heavens? :innocent:

Tbh, if you're worried about CCTV in an age when Apple, Google and friends know basically everything about everyone at all times - you're a bit out of date.

There's an enormous CCTV station at Blackbird Road and there's some right sorts that work there, not gonna lie. But the police do use it a lot for help following, catching, preventing smaller offences. They have direct radio contact.

9 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Do they?  Are we less safe than during the Troubles in the 70s and 80s?

It's a good question now you've made me think about it. But yes, I do think we're less safe because there are so many situations today that could get out of hand either accidentally, by degree or through malicious calculation. 

It is not just our society that real trouble could emanate from. There are potential tinder boxes far and wide but a growing number close to home and, worse than that, I think we in the UK are far more vulnerable than most people will imagine...and there are people here who will delight in manipulating that situation and making it worse if they can.

The trouble with decent people or liberal thinkers, is that they don't or won't think or even imagine the worst in people. They're the kind who think murderers can be rehabilitated, alcoholics can become tee-total, drug addicts can clean themselves up,  bullies can become kind, control freaks controlled and open minded and gang leaders reformed mentors of the young and vulnerable.

And sometimes they're right. But a lot more times they're badly wrong as indicated by the fact that most people captured and proved to have committed terrorist acts or major crimes like murder, systematic sex-abuse, drug organisations etc are people with previous - and usually a lot of it. They remain on or return to the scene because of liberal attitudes and decisions which are as erroneous as they are irresponsible.

Why? Because we want to have a decent society yet it is exactly these weaknesses which prevent us having such a society and result in the obscene amount of security needed nowadays just to live our daily lives.

Sooner or later one or more of these people with previous will do something horrific - if what's already been done is not horrific enough.

More than that, whole areas of our country could be turned into battlefields overnight...and the authorities are frightened silly at the prospect. 

And yet, as a nation, we keep trying to be all things to all people which is very commendable in principle but  ignores the fact that some of those people don't want to be our friends. They don't like or approve of us and they work hard through various channels to make sure that other people come to think the same way.

Others work desperately to achieve the opposite and at considerable risk to themselves but its hard for basically kind or decent people to keep he upper hand against pedlars of evil because the latter prey on the weak, dissatisfied, those who believe or can be convinced they're oppressed or those who'll do anything to curry favour and win rewards.

The above doesn't refer specifically to any group. All evil or radical groups have their own ways but some sources of evil are stronger numerically, intellectually and in organisational terms than others.

Their threat is considerable but made even worse by the endless possibility of subsidiary threats arising - either connected threats, contrived threats or something different altogether. And today's media has made agitational manipulation so much easier and unrest both much more likely and much more dangerous because of the speed it can grow. .                           

Archived