Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jattdogg

Terror Attack at Canadian Mosque

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec-city-mosque-shooting-sainte-foy/article33821479/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&service=mobile

Saddened to hear this has happened here in canada. Im not surprised  that it happened in quebec (given cultural issues there) but an absolute waste of life.

Terror of any kind has no place on this planet. But that wont ever happen.

10 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I never comment on these things as I just see it as part of life now but wow at the lack of response to this.

If it was ISIS shooting up a church we'd be on page 12 by now. 

What do you want? From what I can make out from reports it was someone of "Arab origin" and another rando shooting muslims while yelling that alluha snackbar rubbish. 

Hard to expect outrage at something that has become a social norm. 

Sad for the victims indeed. 

Just now, Innovindil said:

What do you want? From what I can make out from reports it was someone of "Arab origin" and another rando shooting muslims while yelling that alluha snackbar rubbish. 

Hard to expect outrage at something that has become a social norm. 

Sad for the victims indeed. 

Yeah but if it was ISIS shooting up church that's what we'd be getting. Utter outrage, that's the point.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes I noticed that too.  I wonder why.  Are we all getting immune to it as you say, or is it becuase it is clearly domestic race driven so not as debatable, or because the victims are Muslims?

Surely an outrageous act of terrorism is an outrageous act of terrorism though? As I say the difference in reaction is absloutley huge when compared to an ISIS attack. 

45 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Yeah but if it was ISIS shooting up church that's what we'd be getting. Utter outrage, that's the point.

Surely an outrageous act of terrorism is an outrageous act of terrorism though? As I say the difference in reaction is absloutley huge when compared to an ISIS attack. 

Possibly, but it wouldn't come from me. I've long since come to terms that these things will keep happening time and time again. 

Religions separate people, and have since the dawn of time. Won't change until we collectively move away from the ridiculous notion of the sky fairies and start thinking for ourselves. 

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Possibly, but it wouldn't come from me. I've long since come to terms that these things will keep happening time and time again. 

Religions separate people, and have since the dawn of time. Won't change until we collectively move away from the ridiculous notion of the sky fairies and start thinking for ourselves. 

Plenty of other things separate people even more. Europe is more secular than it ever has been in the past and yet it's more divided than it has been for decades.

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I never comment on these things as I just see it as part of life now but wow at the lack of response to this.

If it was ISIS shooting up a church we'd be on page 12 by now. 

Bit of an exaggeration. 

I've just looked back and the Berlin Christmas market terror attack only got to 5 pages before becoming dormant. 

We are just becoming more and more used to it.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Bit of an exaggeration. 

I've just looked back and the Berlin Christmas market terror attack only got to 5 pages before becoming dormant. 

Absolutely, unless there is a petition involved I'm not active now. :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

What main things are currently dividing Europe would you say? 

Economic difficulties more than anything.

Tribalism is the problem. Modern Europeans divide themselves along national, language, political, economic lines just as much if not more than religion.

42 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Nothing possible about it theres a back log of examples on this very forum. And I don't see why that's relevant, there is zero need to take the post personally if it does not apply to you

38 minutes ago, MattP said:

Bit of an exaggeration. 

It's a blatant exaggeration Matt, clearly I did not actually mean the thread would of reached 12 pages in 20 minutes but the point still stands. There was a lot more people rushing to post in that than there is in here, even now most of the conversation is not centered around the event itself but the apathy towards it. 

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

You know Canada is not in the United States of America right?

I know Canada is not the United States, i was just saying that Trump would be the first to come out and condemn the attack if it was by a Islamic terroists. will he come out and condemn attacks on muslims

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

What main things are currently dividing Europe would you say? 

Nationalistic revival & economic woes. I used to think religion was a big issue but I've come to see it as a fairly reductionist way to blame society's greater evils. The race and religion of immigrants is unimportant, it's simply the flavour of the day. The Irish were treated as a threat by the National Front in the 80s, the Polish were seen as a threat in the 2000s by the BNP & EDL. Both Christian countries but seen as a threat because they were outsiders and a minority were dangerous. Muslims immigrants are now seen as a threat by UKIP, and this is even more a golden goose because of some legitimate incidents in integration in some cases, as well as being affiliated with an alien religion.

In terms of religion itself, as with a structured society it started as a necessity in human history. It helped early civilisation to put meaning to the sciences and natural phenomenon they simply couldn't understand with primitive technology. As with structured society it's also evolved over human history to have two roles: a means of faith, comfort and communal unity in dark times, and a means of power, domination and corruption over others.

I used to be someone who thought that if religion disappeared tomorrow it would make a better world, but I've come to feel that's not true. Personally I'm agnostic, but the way some agnostics and atheists talk of the elimination of religion is very much the same of how anarchists talk of the deconstruction of structured society. Sure one tool of power is gone, but the power hungry will still find a way to dominate and exploit. In an anarchist world the tribes led by the power hungry and vicious will monopolise, in an atheist world, Nationalism, Fascism, Communism, & unhinged Capitalism will hold those who seek to exploit the masses.

Back to the point in hand, attacks, atrocities and strife will continue not as long as people hold religious views, that can be comforting, unifying and strengthening to some in difficult times, but as long as people hold religious and ideological beliefs without a grasp of critical thinking, foresight and logical debate. Sadly in 2017 very few of these traits and plenty of religious agitators like Al-Baghdadi and his ISIS cronies, political populists like Trump as well as social media echo chambers on both sides of the political spectrum, alongside the wealthy families nearing oligarchical status.

It's sad these things can become desensitised, but that's almost to be expected in a digital world. RIP the lives lost in this tragedy.   

28 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Nothing possible about it theres a back log of examples on this very forum. And I don't see why that's relevant, there is zero need to take the post personally if it does not apply to you

It's a blatant exaggeration Matt, clearly I did not actually mean the thread would of reached 12 pages in 20 minutes but the point still stands. There was a lot more people rushing to post in that than there is in here, even now most of the conversation is not centered around the event itself but the apathy towards it. 

Your spot on Pabs, but people who use those threads to push their own sentiments are hardly going to admit so. Similar to the Dylan Roof case last year.

37 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Maybe it's because that one was closer to home? The San Bernandino attack was 20 victims dead immediately on news reports, but that only reached 4 pages and that was in 2015 when these things were a lot rarer.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/103420-active-shooter-situation-california-20-victims/

Of course an attack on British or European soil will be far more discussed than one in Africa, Asia or North America, I don't think we should read too much into it to try and suit our own prejudices.

How many posts were there in a FT thread of the ISIS beheading of a Priest in the French Church last year?

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Maybe it's because that one was closer to home? The San Bernandino attack was 20 victims dead immediately on news reports, but that only reached 4 pages and that was in 2015 when these things were a lot rarer.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/103420-active-shooter-situation-california-20-victims/

Of course an attack on British or European soil will be far more discussed than one in Africa, Asia or North America, I don't think we should read too much into it to try and suit our own prejudices.

How many posts were there in a FT thread of the ISIS beheading of a Priest in the French Church last year?

Quite possibly, but then the nightclub shooting in the States last year got a decent amount of attention on here did it not?

That's still 160 posts, as I say even now there are only 4 posts about the actual incident in here, the rest is a discussion about the apathy towards it.

Plus it was more the slow reaction as opposed to the amount of posts, no one said anything for for half an hour odd, that to me was just surprising, normally Thracian is in here with his grand plans to bin all the loonies in a big empty pit long before now. 

30 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Your spot on Pabs, but people who use those threads to push their own sentiments are hardly going to admit so. Similar to the Dylan Roof case last year.

Your actual post from the San Bernandino thread I posted......

On 12/3/2015 at 00:20, leicsmac said:

Far more likely for this to be some white social darwinists than Islamic extremists - as people have said, this isn't really their MO, these guys were looking to escape, not die.

9 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Quite possibly, but then the nightclub shooting in the States last year got a decent amount of attention on here did it not?

That's still 160 posts, as I say even now there are only 4 posts about the actual incident in here, the rest is a discussion about the apathy towards it.

Plus it was more the slow reaction as opposed to the amount of posts, no one said anything for for half an hour odd, that to me was just surprising, normally Thracian is in here with his grand plans to bin all the loonies in a big empty pit long before now. 

I can't remember to be honest, I just quickly googled terrorist attack and that one came up. Maybe the fact is was a Monday morning was part of it as well.

Archived