Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FraserSorensen

Millwall Away

47 minutes ago, 4ever and ever said:

Allocation is 2925. Got it on an email last night.

I was expecting less than that, our end should be decent.

Does that mean we've got some of the lower tier as well? I know they're not allowed to sell a large portion of it.

1 minute ago, Ted Maul said:

I was expecting less than that, our end should be decent.

Does that mean we've got some of the lower tier as well? I know they're not allowed to sell a large portion of it.

the way it's drawn online, is 6 blocks upper, i assume that's the whole tier, then 4 blocks lower, so either corner not for sale as it looks.

6 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

the way it's drawn online, is 6 blocks upper, i assume that's the whole tier, then 4 blocks lower, so either corner not for sale as it looks.

That's not bad at all. Pretty much the maximum we could get with police regulations to what they can and can't sell, as I understand it.

18 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

I think that's as much as they give to stop adjacent home blocks getting to worked up like monkeys in the zoo when you taunt them with food through the glass lol 

Trains are a hit pricey aren't they....

whats the best thing to buy straight from Leicester to south Bermondsey return in one go or just buy each individual journey? 

For example Leicester to St Pancras or Euston and then buy when you get there to London Bridge

32 minutes ago, LCFC FOX said:

whats the best thing to buy straight from Leicester to south Bermondsey return in one go or just buy each individual journey? 

For example Leicester to St Pancras or Euston and then buy when you get there to London Bridge

Normally best to get a train return from Leicester to a London station (St Pancras for example) then use Oyster/contactless card in London

54 minutes ago, LCFC FOX said:

It saves you a few quid if you can be arsed, to do it, Leicester/Market Harborough- MH-Luton Airport Parkway and Luton Parkway- St. Pancras as well.

Worked it out today, saves us about £18 quid each return, but's a real pain to be ****ing about with.

33 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

mine will be spare if it hits members. no chance on gods green earth im taking my daughter millwall away. 

Been 3 times and it's one of the safest away's you'll do. 

You don't even see any Millwall fans until you're in the ground. Get off the tube, walk down a path that's got a sort of cage round it and that leads you straight into the away end stand. 

This was aimed at a poster in another thread - that has strangely disappeared. Anyways, it contains travel, things to advice too (see bottom)..

I had to sign up to register my frustration at these kind of sweeping statements you find all too often on the internet. 

Especially when you mentioned going to school with Paul Robinson - meaning you must have been born in the early 1980s. This is because I more readily associate this kind of sneering with the generation after, the kind of people who sing that awful 'so and so is a shithole'...

Characterless area? Bermondsey? Without character? It has some of the oldest and best traditional London pubs in the capital. It is has some of the finest examples of the old dockers houses left in the docklands. It has the old docks and quays all around the area. And what other grounds can you take a walk or short tube / bus journey to visit such iconic attractions as the Tate Modern, the Globe Theatre or Borough Market. Indeed you are only 5 minutes from London Bridge and 9 minutes away from Waterloo from Bermondsey tube - meaning you can get to the Houses of Parliament, jump on the London Eye, visit the London Dungeons or have a mad one at the Ministry of Sound in no time. On a more intimate level you also have the well-renowned Bermondsey antique market, Bermondsey Beer Mile and traditional Blue market to keep you occupied.

And you would be certain to meet many characters. Bermondsey is (in)famous for producing more bank robbers, British boxing champions (most recent David Haye) and Victoria Cross winners than any other district in Britain. If you walk just behind the ground towards Southwark you will enter the Silwood Estate and will run into many characters. Go the other way and you will venture into New Cross, with its thriving music and art scene. 

Or are you saying the immediate area around the ground? Because people cannot have it both ways. They cannot moan about soulless out of town stadiums off of motorway junctions, but then moan because a football ground is surrounded by scrap metal yards, mechanic garages, train stations and council estates. Surely that is where a football ground should be? Also, the ground is literally next door to a scrap yard, traveler camp and archway mechanics - if you cannot find character or characters there then I don't know how to convince you. 

As for the ground being soulless. Again, I prefer the old stadiums of course. But, in a funny way The Den retains some character by being built when it was. In 1993 corners and wrap around bowls were expensive to build. So, the club opted to build a replica of the kind of stadium you would find in some eastern bloc country, with spikes all around for authenticity. And now the metal is all rusting the look is even more complete. As a 'new' ground it does jar most people, because they associate 'new' and modern stadiums with what you have in Leicester - clean lines, uniform, enclosed. The Football Grounds Guide described it as a mini Ibrox. I can see that.

Besides, I think the scrap metal yards etc. already discussed add to the character of the ground, and inside you can see Canary Wharf peer over the Dockers Stand, the O2 peek in through the gap between the Dockers and Cold Blow Lane stand and from behind the away end the Shard announces itself. Surely this lends character by association? What I mean is, you are now stranded off some motorway station with nothing to look at or take in. That is truly 'soulless'.

As for atmosphere. I think this is always distorted by expectations. Because of our reputation many away fans turn up at The Den expecting 90 minutes of us frothing at the mouth and it all ‘going off’ outside afterwards. I think some are even disappointed not to see any violence.

Conversely, younger fans have grown up where a ‘good’ atmosphere is presented as someone banging a drum for 90 minutes, while about 200 young people chant generic songs over and over again. Hence why the Palace Ultras are seen as creating a ‘great’ atmosphere at Selhurst Park.

The 90 minutes of frothing at the mouth and it all ‘going off’ only happen at the big matches; and there is no chance of anyone ever bringing a drum to The Den.

But to say the atmosphere is ‘flat’ is a bit off the mark in my opinion. I have been a regular at The Den since 1986 and have only ever experienced a flat atmosphere a few of times. These have been early round games in the Football League Trophy etc. where nothing of any excitement has happened on the pitch.

Indeed, I have taken mates who support Forest, Southend, Spurs and Aston Villa to games, and they have all commented on the animation of the crowd. That is to say how there is a constant barrage of abuse towards opposition players, from individuals and as a crowd. How 50/50 tackles are treated like an affront, with nearly every adult in the crowd on their feet outraged to such a level you would have thought our player had been injured for life. No, there wasn’t constant singing or drum banging, but you could not say it was flat.

If The Den was a ‘flat’ place for atmosphere that would have been glaringly exposed for our game v Watford in the last round; it was played live on TV at 12 o’clock on a Sunday in front of just 7,000 home games against a club traditionally considered a family club, fielding their reserves. Yet it was far from ‘flat’. The commentators commented on the decent atmosphere, the Watford manager complained that it was ‘hostile. If that game had been played at The Valley in similar circumstances you would have heard a mouse farting.

Again, I think it is expectations. People expect Millwall to be something else. However, most pros and ex pros I think understand it more, in that they always say it is a ‘difficult’ place to go, because of those nasty comments and constant abuse. Whereas the away fans tucked up safe in the North Stand may think it was a pretty normal atmosphere, the players would have been subjected to constant abuse, which they aren’t used outside of derbies. That is where this ‘intimidating’ factor managers and players mention comes from. Not off the field stuff.

I find your comment ‘the worst you get is a few 10 year olds in flat caps making obscene gestures’ supports this idea of expectations. You almost sound disappointed. If you petted a sedated a young chimpanzee on holiday are you almost disappointed he hasn’t ripped your face off & go home and tell people chimpanzees are not that intimidating?

If all you saw is ten years olds then that means that Leicester City’s hooligans did not attend the game. Millwall’s serious hooligans will only show up when another firm is in town these days – because of the amount of CCTV, Coward’s Way and banning orders there is no point when no-one from the opposition’s firm is there.

So, surely you should be happy then as a ‘normal’ Leicester City fans? No hooligans turned up from either side. You got to see the nice sedated young chimpanzees at play instead.

I hope other Leicester City fans do not share your attitude. I think The Den can be a cracking away day and it should be for this FA Cup clash.

The ground will be in good voice, after all we are a Third Division club welcoming the English Champions to town. I imagine you will bring a good support, as you usually do. You get to sit anywhere in a block, meaning mates and the more rowdy can get together. London Bridge is excellent for drinking. And with your distractions and form there is a bit of a whiff of cup upset in the air.

Don’t pour cold water on it.

Advice...

Best way to get to The Den is always by train. London Bridge to South Bermondsey is a 4 minute journey and trains are regular. From the station there is an away walkway straight to the turnstiles.

If you take the tube Surrey Quays & Bermondsey are 20 minute walks. Surrey Quays is next to a Whetherspoons if you fancy. 

If you do drive I would head to Folkestone Gardens area to park. Google maps it. All free and unrestricted. If you get to the area early then you could try the Bramcote Estate (Google maps it). Again all free and unrestricted and opposite South Bermondsey station. I would also recommend driving around London, go over Dartford Crossing and come into London via A2.

There is the Millwall cafe next to the ground, or a fish and chip shop on Ilderton Road if you are hungry. If you fancy pie & mash then you can use Bermondsey tube and you will spot them in the Blue. Google maps them. 

I imagine you will be keep in. Only because you will bring 2,000 plus fans and South Bermondsey station cannot cope with huge amounts of people, so the BTP wait for it to clear first. If you have driven I imagine you will be let out if you have a polite word. 

27 minutes ago, Permafrost said:

Thanks for taking the time to post that long message on here. A good read!

Is it definitely right about 'sit where you want within a block'?

That's the rule at any away surely?

Millwall stewards are particularly lax in my experience, not arsed about anything as long as you're not scrapping.

4 hours ago, Bayfox said:

It saves you a few quid if you can be arsed, to do it, Leicester/Market Harborough- MH-Luton Airport Parkway and Luton Parkway- St. Pancras as well.

Worked it out today, saves us about £18 quid each return, but's a real pain to be ****ing about with.

Raileasy does it for you 

5 hours ago, Moody said:

This was aimed at a poster in another thread - that has strangely disappeared. Anyways, it contains travel, things to advice too (see bottom)..

I had to sign up to register my frustration at these kind of sweeping statements you find all too often on the internet. 

Especially when you mentioned going to school with Paul Robinson - meaning you must have been born in the early 1980s. This is because I more readily associate this kind of sneering with the generation after, the kind of people who sing that awful 'so and so is a shithole'...

Characterless area? Bermondsey? Without character? It has some of the oldest and best traditional London pubs in the capital. It is has some of the finest examples of the old dockers houses left in the docklands. It has the old docks and quays all around the area. And what other grounds can you take a walk or short tube / bus journey to visit such iconic attractions as the Tate Modern, the Globe Theatre or Borough Market. Indeed you are only 5 minutes from London Bridge and 9 minutes away from Waterloo from Bermondsey tube - meaning you can get to the Houses of Parliament, jump on the London Eye, visit the London Dungeons or have a mad one at the Ministry of Sound in no time. On a more intimate level you also have the well-renowned Bermondsey antique market, Bermondsey Beer Mile and traditional Blue market to keep you occupied.

And you would be certain to meet many characters. Bermondsey is (in)famous for producing more bank robbers, British boxing champions (most recent David Haye) and Victoria Cross winners than any other district in Britain. If you walk just behind the ground towards Southwark you will enter the Silwood Estate and will run into many characters. Go the other way and you will venture into New Cross, with its thriving music and art scene. 

Or are you saying the immediate area around the ground? Because people cannot have it both ways. They cannot moan about soulless out of town stadiums off of motorway junctions, but then moan because a football ground is surrounded by scrap metal yards, mechanic garages, train stations and council estates. Surely that is where a football ground should be? Also, the ground is literally next door to a scrap yard, traveler camp and archway mechanics - if you cannot find character or characters there then I don't know how to convince you. 

As for the ground being soulless. Again, I prefer the old stadiums of course. But, in a funny way The Den retains some character by being built when it was. In 1993 corners and wrap around bowls were expensive to build. So, the club opted to build a replica of the kind of stadium you would find in some eastern bloc country, with spikes all around for authenticity. And now the metal is all rusting the look is even more complete. As a 'new' ground it does jar most people, because they associate 'new' and modern stadiums with what you have in Leicester - clean lines, uniform, enclosed. The Football Grounds Guide described it as a mini Ibrox. I can see that.

Besides, I think the scrap metal yards etc. already discussed add to the character of the ground, and inside you can see Canary Wharf peer over the Dockers Stand, the O2 peek in through the gap between the Dockers and Cold Blow Lane stand and from behind the away end the Shard announces itself. Surely this lends character by association? What I mean is, you are now stranded off some motorway station with nothing to look at or take in. That is truly 'soulless'.

As for atmosphere. I think this is always distorted by expectations. Because of our reputation many away fans turn up at The Den expecting 90 minutes of us frothing at the mouth and it all ‘going off’ outside afterwards. I think some are even disappointed not to see any violence.

Conversely, younger fans have grown up where a ‘good’ atmosphere is presented as someone banging a drum for 90 minutes, while about 200 young people chant generic songs over and over again. Hence why the Palace Ultras are seen as creating a ‘great’ atmosphere at Selhurst Park.

The 90 minutes of frothing at the mouth and it all ‘going off’ only happen at the big matches; and there is no chance of anyone ever bringing a drum to The Den.

But to say the atmosphere is ‘flat’ is a bit off the mark in my opinion. I have been a regular at The Den since 1986 and have only ever experienced a flat atmosphere a few of times. These have been early round games in the Football League Trophy etc. where nothing of any excitement has happened on the pitch.

Indeed, I have taken mates who support Forest, Southend, Spurs and Aston Villa to games, and they have all commented on the animation of the crowd. That is to say how there is a constant barrage of abuse towards opposition players, from individuals and as a crowd. How 50/50 tackles are treated like an affront, with nearly every adult in the crowd on their feet outraged to such a level you would have thought our player had been injured for life. No, there wasn’t constant singing or drum banging, but you could not say it was flat.

If The Den was a ‘flat’ place for atmosphere that would have been glaringly exposed for our game v Watford in the last round; it was played live on TV at 12 o’clock on a Sunday in front of just 7,000 home games against a club traditionally considered a family club, fielding their reserves. Yet it was far from ‘flat’. The commentators commented on the decent atmosphere, the Watford manager complained that it was ‘hostile. If that game had been played at The Valley in similar circumstances you would have heard a mouse farting.

Again, I think it is expectations. People expect Millwall to be something else. However, most pros and ex pros I think understand it more, in that they always say it is a ‘difficult’ place to go, because of those nasty comments and constant abuse. Whereas the away fans tucked up safe in the North Stand may think it was a pretty normal atmosphere, the players would have been subjected to constant abuse, which they aren’t used outside of derbies. That is where this ‘intimidating’ factor managers and players mention comes from. Not off the field stuff.

I find your comment ‘the worst you get is a few 10 year olds in flat caps making obscene gestures’ supports this idea of expectations. You almost sound disappointed. If you petted a sedated a young chimpanzee on holiday are you almost disappointed he hasn’t ripped your face off & go home and tell people chimpanzees are not that intimidating?

If all you saw is ten years olds then that means that Leicester City’s hooligans did not attend the game. Millwall’s serious hooligans will only show up when another firm is in town these days – because of the amount of CCTV, Coward’s Way and banning orders there is no point when no-one from the opposition’s firm is there.

So, surely you should be happy then as a ‘normal’ Leicester City fans? No hooligans turned up from either side. You got to see the nice sedated young chimpanzees at play instead.

I hope other Leicester City fans do not share your attitude. I think The Den can be a cracking away day and it should be for this FA Cup clash.

The ground will be in good voice, after all we are a Third Division club welcoming the English Champions to town. I imagine you will bring a good support, as you usually do. You get to sit anywhere in a block, meaning mates and the more rowdy can get together. London Bridge is excellent for drinking. And with your distractions and form there is a bit of a whiff of cup upset in the air.

Don’t pour cold water on it.

Advice...

Best way to get to The Den is always by train. London Bridge to South Bermondsey is a 4 minute journey and trains are regular. From the station there is an away walkway straight to the turnstiles.

If you take the tube Surrey Quays & Bermondsey are 20 minute walks. Surrey Quays is next to a Whetherspoons if you fancy. 

If you do drive I would head to Folkestone Gardens area to park. Google maps it. All free and unrestricted. If you get to the area early then you could try the Bramcote Estate (Google maps it). Again all free and unrestricted and opposite South Bermondsey station. I would also recommend driving around London, go over Dartford Crossing and come into London via A2.

There is the Millwall cafe next to the ground, or a fish and chip shop on Ilderton Road if you are hungry. If you fancy pie & mash then you can use Bermondsey tube and you will spot them in the Blue. Google maps them. 

I imagine you will be keep in. Only because you will bring 2,000 plus fans and South Bermondsey station cannot cope with huge amounts of people, so the BTP wait for it to clear first. If you have driven I imagine you will be let out if you have a polite word. 

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this. I wasn't going to bother with my little lad, but from what you and others have said, just watch me now be disappointed when it doesn't make it to Gold members ;)

Archived