Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
somebum

quite personal - how much\often do you drink?

I was just wondering how much alcohol people drink.

I struggle with the stuff tbh. I certainly dont wake up and want a drink but i tend to drink at night before i go to bed as i find (get ready for cliche) it helps me sleep better. So i often polish a bottle of wine off probably 2,3 nights a week. 

Is that excessive? 

sounds excessive to me. 

have you ever sought help if you feel like you're struggling? first step to resolving a problem like this is admitting there's a problem so you're on your way if you really want to change it.

I used to drink a fair bit but found I was putting weight on because of it. Stopped drinking at home and will only drink socially now. barely ever get drunk off my face now. Enjoy a beer or glass of wine when having dinner with family at the weekend or with the missus.

Before the change, I used to drink a lot. Sometimes would have had a glass of wine after work and then on Fridays 2-3 beers. Then Saturday would have been quite a few beers in front of the tv if I had nothing planned watching all the football. Then add more to that if I was going out in the evening.

It worked in stages though. It wasn't just stopping suddenly. Had to cut back gradually and eventually have just stopped buying alcohol when shopping. That's the best way I found to stop drinking at home. Just to resist the temptation of buying it and eventually you begin to realise you don't miss it at all. 

I found myself drinking more and more recently so I've detoxed pretty much since New year other than a 5 day period when I went away.

Ive got a collection of different gins at home so it is easy to knock back 5/6 just because I want to taste all of my favourites. 

Incredible how much my body has changed not drinking, eating really healthily and going gym 5/6 days a week. I haven't been gym for 2 days now and I genuinely feel like shit.

39 minutes ago, StanSP said:

sounds excessive to me. 

have you ever sought help if you feel like you're struggling? first step to resolving a problem like this is admitting there's a problem so you're on your way if you really want to change it.

I used to drink a fair bit but found I was putting weight on because of it. Stopped drinking at home and will only drink socially now. barely ever get drunk off my face now. Enjoy a beer or glass of wine when having dinner with family at the weekend or with the missus.

Before the change, I used to drink a lot. Sometimes would have had a glass of wine after work and then on Fridays 2-3 beers. Then Saturday would have been quite a few beers in front of the tv if I had nothing planned watching all the football. Then add more to that if I was going out in the evening.

It worked in stages though. It wasn't just stopping suddenly. Had to cut back gradually and eventually have just stopped buying alcohol when shopping. That's the best way I found to stop drinking at home. Just to resist the temptation of buying it and eventually you begin to realise you don't miss it at all. 

You've been through the menopause? :unsure:

53 minutes ago, somebum said:

I was just wondering how much alcohol people drink.

I struggle with the stuff tbh. I certainly dont wake up and want a drink but i tend to drink at night before i go to bed as i find (get ready for cliche) it helps me sleep better. So i often polish a bottle of wine off probably 2,3 nights a week. 

Is that excessive? 

I read an article recently suggesting that drinking a bottle of wine at home in the evenings is more common in this country than people think.

I know lots of people who aren't alcoholic, but are very much dependent and have a habit of polishing a bottle off once they've opened it.

I fell into this trap over a number of years. Busy day at work, come home stressed, feed the kids, put them to bed, crack open a bottle of Pinot Grigio to relax, and end up finishing it. This was most nights and I probably did 5-6 bottles a week (but rarely went out drinking socially).

Then last October I got really ill and was bed ridden for 3 days. Couldn't eat or drink and obviously didn't touch a drop as I felt sick as a dog. When I got better I thought, "let's see if I can stretch 3 days into a week with no drink". I managed it, and then another week, and then another.

I started putting the money aside that I'd saved and as of now, I've still not touched wine for four months and have over £600 to show for it.

I've lost weight (not that I needed to), my complexion is better, and my mood swings are less. I don't miss the fuzzy head in the morning either.

I've broken the habit now and just drink orange squash or de-caf tea in the evenings which is boring but fine.

'Everything in moderation' as my Mum used to say, but I'm quite proud of my teetotal badge now.

Drink about a cider or two every 2/3 nights.

It enables me to relax before going to bed whilst watching TV.

May continue (started around before Christmas last year) as nothing else helps me to sleep.

most nights. prob average 3 beers or most of a bottle of wine. prob talking 3/4 weekdays each week. obv weekend depends what happens but i'd never be able to keep count. nor would i want to. 

When i was younger i used to get drunk every time i went out.. Now i could go a couple of weeks and not crave alchol but when i went out i would get drunk. This was a repeating cycle. I would get in trouble, get into fights and hurt people.  Now like i said, i'd never drink at home and i could go weeks without wanting a drink , but as soon as i went out i'd get drunk.

So in the end i just decided that if i didnt want to fall off the cliff i should stay away from the edge so now i dont drink at all.... I consider myself very fortunate that i was able to make that decision and be in control of making that decision..

A lot of this sounds familiar. I can and often do drink far too much. I can easily polish off a bottle of wine before bed. Towards the end of the 2016 I realised how lethargic I felt, and how I was less sharp than a lot of my colleagues and friends who don't drink as much. The thought of brain cells being killed off just started to lose its appeal. And as I wrote in the other thread, I stayed with some of my friends (early 30s) over xmas who are complete pissheads and it just seemed a bit sad. Decided to cut down. As Stan said it comes down to just not buying it and sooner rather than later you realise how much better you feel. Still, it's not easy.

I do about 70 units a week, but don't consider this particularly excessive. Everything still works and I continue to play competitive football. 

However, having moved areas last summer, had to answer a questionnaire to sign up with the new local surgery. Of course lied when asked how much alcohol I drank a week and said 15 pints or 30 units. The doctor immediately gave me a dirty look and said I have to answer supplementary questions as two pints a night, every night was considered borderline alcoholic! 

A bloke I used to work with until I retired last year was on over 120 units a week, but never had a day off in 30 years and still going strong. I am not saying that's the way to be, just that there's plenty of other thing that determine health issues and well being. 

I'll drink a glass of wine in the evening around four evenings a week and have a couple of glasses Sunday lunch.  I enjoy the odd pint of decent beer if I go out but most of the time I'm driving so don't.

I used to drink more years ago but my tolerance for alcohol has decreased now - if I drank half a bottle of wine I'd certainly have a hangover.

9 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

I drink like two beers a month lol. 

The wife doesn't drink and i hate drinking alone so dont drink much. Im ok with it though as ive never  been a huge drinker. And that why im Rollin  in the money

That was was a very noticeable difference for me..

waking up feeling sick, hungover and broke < waking up with enough money to add a few to my cd collection

Too much probably but not in excess in my opinion.   Mainly in a pub as a social thing with my mates (beer) or with Mrs CF (wine) when we go out together.

I used to have well man checks every year and they told me how well I was doing when I gave up smoking ...   but then started on about the amount of units I drank (I noticed the limit kept changing every year ?!?) ...    I remember saying  "Don't push it !" ...    you've got to have some pleasures in life and not all pleasures are good for you.   Moderation is the key.

I don't drink every night, but certainly most nights i'll have a beer or 2. and on friday/saturday nights i'll usually have a few glasses of whiskey too.

Every now and then, usually if i'm having a bad day/week at work i'll crack open the whiskey during the week too. If i have had a bad week i can usually drink a whole bottle of whiskey on the friday & saturday evenings. Not good, i know. But it helps me get over the rough week at work. The Mrs doesn't drink any more which makes me feel quite bad about it sometimes.

I wouldn't say i have a problem because its not a regular occurance (Maybe i'm in denial, i don't know...). But when i do have a rough week and ge through a lot more of the hard stuff than i probably should do, i tend to feel guilty about it afterwards.

Seems like all activity in the modern age is hyper condensed. I talk to some of the oldies about how much they used to drink (and still do) and it's quite a substantial amount - but paced out over several hours from lunch to tea to down in the pub to supper. Which when combined with the amount of walking and manual labour people used to it, it probably wasn't such an issue. 

These days people cram 2 days worth of alcohol into a late night session, whilst their office job erodes their metabolism down to zilch.

In the summer when I'm in 'peak' condition from running and sports I can usually down 4 imperial pints in quick fashion and barely feel it. No chance of that in my current 'winter' state. lol

I have to drive a lot at all times of the day, so I almost never drink. I lost a friend to a drink driver a few years ago and I vowed to never get behind the wheel with any alcohol in my system, although I don't have a problem with others doing so as long as they're under the legal drink drive limit.

But for me I can go months without so much as a shandy, then smash through four cans of lager, then a 70cl bottle of vodka in the space of two hours and then go out in town. This happens 3-4 times a year. The only time I'll casually drink is on holiday.

As an aside, to those of you who recognised you have/had a drink problem, and have made steps to kick it: seriously well done. I can't imagine the mental strength required to make a change to your life after years of telling yourself it wasn't a problem, and overcome it.

Archived