Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
somebum

quite personal - how much\often do you drink?

I have the odd pint. Friday night after work and then one (maybe two) before our games on a Saturday afternoon but that's it.

First half pint I ever had was on my 18th birthday. Had three years of constant drinking at Uni but since graduating in 2015 I'm back to how I was which is rarely drinking. 

I wouldn't change all the drinking I did at uni but that part of my life is gone. I'll never drink as much as I did during that time. I'd like not to do it at all but sometimes I enjoy a refreshing pint.

OP you sound slightly excessive but that's from my point of view. I've personally never known anyone with a "problem" (define problem however you like). I understand you wanting to get an overview of other people's habits but if you're genuinely worried go see your doctor. You'll get better overall advice there than on any internet forum.

16 hours ago, somebum said:

I was just wondering how much alcohol people drink.

I struggle with the stuff tbh. I certainly dont wake up and want a drink but i tend to drink at night before i go to bed as i find (get ready for cliche) it helps me sleep better. So i often polish a bottle of wine off probably 2,3 nights a week. 

Is that excessive? 

16 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes it is. And you are not alone.

Actually isn't.

Government recommendations (which are well out of date anyway) are 21 units for a bloke, so if you actually were to only do 2 bottles even if it was strong wine you'd be within that, 3 you'd be a bit over but I'd say you'd have next to nothing to worry about. That is most defintiley a far cry from "struggling" with the stuff. 

All depends if you are actually telling the truth or not lol 

13 hours ago, BoyJones said:

I do about 70 units a week, but don't consider this particularly excessive. Everything still works and I continue to play competitive football. 

However, having moved areas last summer, had to answer a questionnaire to sign up with the new local surgery. Of course lied when asked how much alcohol I drank a week and said 15 pints or 30 units. The doctor immediately gave me a dirty look and said I have to answer supplementary questions as two pints a night, every night was considered borderline alcoholic! 

A bloke I used to work with until I retired last year was on over 120 units a week, but never had a day off in 30 years and still going strong. I am not saying that's the way to be, just that there's plenty of other thing that determine health issues and well being. 

They double whatever you put down often enough , they aren't dumb. Treble in some cases. 

The fact everyone lies about what they drink is not lost on them. 

I get fairly horrendous hangovers and can often feel it when i've had just a few pints so I'm automatically put off having a drink on my own. However i'll have a couple of beers during a football match or sit watching the tele/playing computer games/reading a book with a glass of G&T or a whiskey and coke.

Local pub is horrendous, one of those fancy wannabe restaurants that look down on locals. So that's probably a good thing for my wallet and health.

I can remember my Dad going through a lot of beer during my school years. He was never violent, angry or anything like and you'd never know he was drunk but I always used to resent him for it. Probably the fact that he was my idol and he was sat there wasting away in his chair despite being in his 30s. Getting off the beer was the best thing he's ever done. He's saved a lot of money and weight, he's far fitter than he ever was when I was a child.

thanks for all of your replies!

well my relationship with alcohol is a love story for now. I must confess i spent a long period up until a few months ago drinking a bottle of red a night. I found that my drinking intensifies as I try to escape sudden unfavourable life events such as relationship breakdowns. Hidden amongst this misty cloud are the good times where I dont drink at all.

A few months ago i cut back completely and spent a good 6 weeks t total. I knew i had broke the urge to go and buy a bottle and felt overriding sense of achievement. 

I think why 2 to 3 bottles have returned to my life is because of night times as i mentioned. I find i sleep much better under the influence of a bottle, which incidently does not make me drunk at all. I have only really been truly drunk a handful of times and it never appealed to me. I wake up every hour on the hour without a drink, even after those 6 weeks of not touching it. 

Interesting to see those country comparisons of consumption. I guess the question is who is to say what is excessive besides you personally as an adult?

Archived