Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Yastafox

New boiler

So my boiler decided to die today, engineer said it was beyond economical repair. It was 13 years old and hadn't been used for the last two years before we moved in to this house so it had a pretty good life!

Anyone know of the best place to get a new boiler for a reasonable price? Thanks 

24 minutes ago, Yastafox said:

So my boiler decided to die today, engineer said it was beyond economical repair. It was 13 years old and hadn't been used for the last two years before we moved in to this house so it had a pretty good life!

Anyone know of the best place to get a new boiler for a reasonable price? Thanks 

Personally I'd recommend a local engineer over British Gas etc... I paid £1700 for the whole job a few years a go.

I always recommend using the gas safety register website, you can search by postcode to see the closest engineers to you and you're assured they'll be qualified. 

I think the best thing to do is clue yourself up before you talk to them. For the boiler only you're looking at about £700 for a 24kw and a £800 for a 28kw one. I personally recommend the Baxi-Duo-Tec in the links above, you get a ridiculously long warranty on them and the engineers seem to know them inside out and like to install them. 

How big is your property? How many showers do you have and do these use the boiler? Do you have thermostat controls on your radiators? I think these are required by law now so they'd have to fit them too.  

If you have 3 bedrooms or under and one shower connected to the boiler you'd probably be OK with a 24kw . bigger house with more showers you'd need the 28kw. 

You want to get the magnetic filter installed and you want to get one of those wireless digital thermostats, like I say I got all of this for £1700. 

I recommend you ring around a few local engineers but make sure you've done a little research first.  

Word of caution.  I've had a couple of boilers in my current property (been here for 25 years) and in each case I found that the fitter was paid a commission by the boiler manufacturer for selecting one of their boilers.  So going for the recommendation of a fitter may not be as independent a view as you may like - worth checking out feedback from other users.

Mine died earlier this year however came back to life from a family friend who's a plumber coming to have a look at it and giving it a good old twatting... I've got a powermax boiler and they don't make them anymore! Was quoted around  £2,500 for a new boiler and flew(sp?) System as to where it is placed in the house. 

Anyone clued up on them who can give me advice any help would be appreciated. Do British Gas still do the monthly payment where you get a new boiler from them?

• 1 month later...

Hello guys, I need some advice please.

I have British Gas coming on Wednesday to give us a quote about a new boiler - Its a free quote and we don't have to take them up on it.

I want to compare a few people before deciding anyone know of any good companies/plumbers etc please?

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I have British Gas coming on Wednesday to give us a quote about a new boiler - Its a free quote and we don't have to take them up on it.

I want to compare a few people before deciding anyone know of any good companies/plumbers etc please?

British gas will violate you, that's the only advice I can give.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

British gas will violate you, that's the only advice I can give.

In terms of violate, what you think I'm looking at?

My girlfriend dad is a builder and one of his mates looked at my current boiler whilst it packed up funnily enough these houses are new builds and it seems the boilers installed have more or less at some point in the estate packed up. 

He said roughly I would be looking at £2,000 - £2,500. Due to where the flew is situated? 

26 minutes ago, Ashley said:

In terms of violate, what you think I'm looking at?

My girlfriend dad is a builder and one of his mates looked at my current boiler whilst it packed up funnily enough these houses are new builds and it seems the boilers installed have more or less at some point in the estate packed up. 

He said roughly I would be looking at £2,000 - £2,500. Due to where the flew is situated? 

With BG you will be looking at £2500, if you go independent probably £1500-£1900 depending on boiler cost.

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Friend used http://www.rudkinandherbert.co.uk/ on Fosse Road / Upperton Road.

Was happy.

Definitely do not get it from BG, massively overcharge you. Our old boiler died so went through the home insurance over and they quoted us £2400 for a top of he range Worcester Bosch. Went to an independant and got the exact same boiler (Worcester Bosch Greenstar 29 CDI) brand new and fully fitted for £1680 including 5 year warranty. 

I guess the only advantage of getting it from a big company is that they offer payment plans so you don't have to stump up all the cash in one go. We were lucky family we're able to lend us some cash. 

To to add to that if you get a perceived "lower brand" you could probably get it for a few hundred cheaper and a lot of these come with 10 year warrantys. Definitely worth shopping around. 

21 minutes ago, Yastafox said:

Definitely do not get it from BG, massively overcharge you. Our old boiler died so went through the home insurance over and they quoted us £2400 for a top of he range Worcester Bosch. Went to an independant and got the exact same boiler (Worcester Bosch Greenstar 29 CDI) brand new and fully fitted for £1680 including 5 year warranty. 

I guess the only advantage of getting it from a big company is that they offer payment plans so you don't have to stump up all the cash in one go. We were lucky family we're able to lend us some cash. 

Alright bud what was the name of the company.

use checkatrade.com to find the best in the area you live. If you live close enough to Hinckley use Fire & Water, its one of my mates i went Sevilla with, he is v.decent think his rating is about 99.7 on checkatrade

Archived