Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Weekend in London (on the cheap)

Managed to convince the Mrs to have a weekend in London for my birthday, and take her to experience her first away game - West Ham.

But she has some conditions, She wants me to take her to see a musical on the day before, and she wants to stay in a decent hotel. Can anyone recommend any decent hotels, preferably not more than £100 a night, close to an underground station?

Also, has anyone seen the Aladdin musical? That's her preferred choice, but tickets are rather pricey...

Edited by TiffToff88

Weekend in London and 'on the cheap' don't really belong in the same sentence lol

I'll be amazed if you find a decent hotel for less than £100 in central London. Even the Travelodge is about £140 last time I was there.

Cant help you with Aladdin but tickets to any West End musicals will be expensive if booked in advance. Maybe hope to get them on the day cheaper if they haven't sold out but a bit risky.

Have a nice time though :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, archerm said:

Hi, I went to see Aladdin in December and it was brilliant. Take a look on Air bnb if on a budget but if you'd arther stick to a  conventional hotel just look further away from the West end and travel in. If you are going to London you will spend zero time in the hotel anyway.

Exactly why i don't see the point in spending too much. A few years ago we decided to treat ourselves and stayed at the Rembrandt Hotel in Knightsbridge. Ended up paying £290 a night for a tiny room with rude stuck up staff. Totally regret that decision!

Edited by TiffToff88

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Weekend in London and 'on the cheap' don't really belong in the same sentence lol

I'll be amazed if you find a decent hotel for less than £100 in central London. Even the Travelodge is about £140 last time I was there.

Cant help you with Aladdin but tickets to any West End musicals will be expensive if booked in advance. Maybe hope to get them on the day cheaper if they haven't sold out but a bit risky.

Have a nice time though :thumbup:

last time we went to london we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Greenwich, right near the O2. Fairly cheap by London standards, clean rooms, quiet, and close to the underground station. Might be the answer again this time, i was just hoping there might be alternatives...

Going weekend after next with the missus and you've really no need to have a central hotel as everywhere is basically reachable by tube and time of day, especially at the weekend.

There's a 10% of code for Travelodges in London at the moment (think it expires tomorrow) if you give Google a quick bash. :thumbup:

Have you considered staying near the Olympic stadium? Maybe a cheaper option as it's that little bit further out, but would be handy on the day of the game.

We use the Raddison Kenilworth a lot when we stay in london, 3 mins from Tottenham Court Road station, but even that can come to £150 plus a night, for 100 quid, you are not gonna find a huge amount, and it depends what your wife's idea of decent is I guess.

If your at a show and out all day for the football the next day, how much time you really gonna spend? I know a lot of people that use the Premier Inn at County Hall, I've not tried it but I guess the rooms have some sort of view.

Just look on laterooms - Theres loads under a £100 that are within a few miles of the centre - Just find one near a tube station and your sorted. 

Last time i went (travelling from the West) we staying in Hounslow, which is a good few miles out but the tube was across the road - Was 30 mins into the centre but we stayed there all day/night and just travelled back when we were done. 

You can stay at the Hilton Canary Wharf for around £100-£120 with breakfast. Near underground and a nice hotel.

Alternatively, there is the Britannia Hotel which may be cheaper. Stayed there once, wasn't great and needs decorating place but cheap and got meal/dinner deal for around £80 for two of us.

2 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Have you considered staying near the Olympic stadium? Maybe a cheaper option as it's that little bit further out, but would be handy on the day of the game.

We use the Raddison Kenilworth a lot when we stay in london, 3 mins from Tottenham Court Road station, but even that can come to £150 plus a night, for 100 quid, you are not gonna find a huge amount, and it depends what your wife's idea of decent is I guess.

If your at a show and out all day for the football the next day, how much time you really gonna spend? I know a lot of people that use the Premier Inn at County Hall, I've not tried it but I guess the rooms have some sort of view.

Surprisingly this was one of the cheaper options i've found. I've just booked 2 nights at the Premier Inn at Westfields. £186 for 2 nights. Not bad considering the location. Now i just have to get tickets sorted, football and theatre!

Oh, and decide whether to get the train from Leicester or drive and park at the hotel...

If you get the train from Leicester you can catch the South Eastern Javelin train from St Pancras to Stratford International, only takes 6 minutes. Travelcards aren't valid on this service but you can use Oyster cards and contactless and be charged for a single fare.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Surprisingly this was one of the cheaper options i've found. I've just booked 2 nights at the Premier Inn at Westfields. £186 for 2 nights. Not bad considering the location. Now i just have to get tickets sorted, football and theatre!

Oh, and decide whether to get the train from Leicester or drive and park at the hotel...

Drive to Rugby, park the car there and get a train direct to London. Cheap and easy.

8 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Managed to convince the Mrs to have a weekend in London for my birthday, and take her to experience her first away game - West Ham.

But she has some conditions, She wants me to take her to see a musical on the day before, and she wants to stay in a decent hotel. Can anyone recommend any decent hotels, preferably not more than £100 a night, close to an underground station?

Also, has anyone seen the Aladdin musical? That's her preferred choice, but tickets are rather pricey...

I went to see Lion King at Lyceum Theatre over Christmas.

missus got me tickets to see it for my birthday. Think tickets were only £45. Hotel was pricey though! 

If you're seeing a show and you want to stay in a decent hotel, you're almost always going to be close to an underground station.

Get on booking.com and you're bound to find a decent hotel for up to £100 a night. 

why not try hotwire, then on another page look for hotwire and priceline deals revealed,because hotwire has to reveal certain details about the hotel, vicinity how many stars internet pets allowed etc etc it then comes up with the hotel that they think it is,its not 100% but from what ive seen its a lot cheaper,ive just used it going vegas next week and got the linq on the vegas strip for £26 a night mega bargain.there is plenty of advice on the sites about how it all works if you do try good luck

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

There's a whole bunch of reasonably priced hotels around Earls Court. Probably sixty, seventy quid a night. Rooms will be fairly small but it's only a night and they're clean.

Exactly my thought. Trebovir Road right next to the tube station. Try the Rushmore - nothing spectacular but comfortable enough.

13 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Kinky Boots is on in The Strand I think and is excellent. Based on a true story about a Northampton shoe firm. Booking.com will come up with all sorts of late deals in London - with hotels next to Hyde Park and close to Lancaster Gate offering double rooms with a decent  breakfast for £50-odd a night. You might even get free parking at weekends.    

Edited by Thracian

Did London two weekends ago. Blew close to £3000 in two nights.

You can't really do London on the cheap, you will feel awkward whenever you go anywhere as everything is expensive. 

Get a train in, watch a matinee, go for a meal in Soho and get yourself back on the late train. 

But if you think you can do it cheap, you won't enjoy it if you see money disappearing from your pocket. 

The cheaper hotel rooms are like shoe boxes, and some expensive ones are too.