Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claridge

Most interesting periods of history

7 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Fourth age, but that's because I'm racist.

Then you should join the EDL or Ent Defence League. Realising they were in the minority it is written that Treebeard reluctantly embraced a fascist ideology. 

Dwindling Dwarves, self exiled elves and extinct orcs. Good time to be a man or Hobbit though and still plenty of plurality - although the Shire, Rohan and Gondor were hardly multicultural. 

22 hours ago, Finnegan said:

For me, my favourite bit of history is one of the most overlooked in our schools.

From the start of the Dark Ages to the Acts of Union. How we actually came to be the United Kingdom.

Crazy that after the Romans left our little island was home to stacks of self proclaimed princes and kings from three or four different language groups and cultures.

I appreciate it's called the dark ages because we lack a lot of recorded history but even what we do know is more interesting than hours of learning about the industrial ****ing revolution.

there is a really good documentary on you tube about the dark ages for those that would like to know a little bit more

On 17/02/2017 at 22:36, Finnegan said:

For me, my favourite bit of history is one of the most overlooked in our schools.

From the start of the Dark Ages to the Acts of Union. How we actually came to be the United Kingdom.

Crazy that after the Romans left our little island was home to stacks of self proclaimed princes and kings from three or four different language groups and cultures.

I appreciate it's called the dark ages because we lack a lot of recorded history but even what we do know is more interesting than hours of learning about the industrial ****ing revolution.

I would say that period, too, but with reference to the "wandering of peoples" which occurred across the whole continent, as the Roman Empire collapsed and was overwhelmed.

The stuff which occurred to cause the mix of people we have in the UK was part of a wider change.

I find the effect on Europe's mix of language and culture to be fascinating.

On 18/02/2017 at 20:58, lcfc old boy said:

there is a really good documentary on you tube about the dark ages for those that would like to know a little bit more

Or for some living history, you can visit a time warp here...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The+Den/@51.4855236,-0.0538255,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4876031cf686e787:0x8e5f85403c5d7f02!8m2!3d51.4855203!4d-0.0516368

I'm sure I've mentioned these before, but anyone with an attention span longer than a gnat's and even a vague interest in history should give Dan Carlin's 'Hardcore History' podcasts a go.

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

There's a new one up that deals with the advent of nuclear proliferation, basically covering the period from the end of WWII to the Cuban missile crisis.  A mere 6 hours long, which if you've listened to the 18 hours of 'Blueprint for Armageddon' (about WW I), just FLIES by.

'Prophets of Doom' is great if you like a bit of gore

On 20/02/2017 at 13:36, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm sure I've mentioned these before, but anyone with an attention span longer than a gnat's and even a vague interest in history should give Dan Carlin's 'Hardcore History' podcasts a go.

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

There's a new one up that deals with the advent of nuclear proliferation, basically covering the period from the end of WWII to the Cuban missile crisis.  A mere 6 hours long, which if you've listened to the 18 hours of 'Blueprint for Armageddon' (about WW I), just FLIES by.

'Prophets of Doom' is great if you like a bit of gore

I tried listening to podcasts to learn some Roman history a few years ago but I just ended up forgetting it all. I definitely learn better by reading and pictures which is a bit of a shame as I'm often to lazy to bother.

My main interest recently has been Renaissance Italy after visiting last year. I'm getting into art as well so it goes hand in hand.

Christ I feel old lol

13 hours ago, Watson said:

I tried listening to podcasts to learn some Roman history a few years ago but I just ended up forgetting it all. I definitely learn better by reading and pictures which is a bit of a shame as I'm often to lazy to bother.

My main interest recently has been Renaissance Italy after visiting last year. I'm getting into art as well so it goes hand in hand.

Christ I feel old lol

Each to their own - I don't get much time to sit and read a book, but I do get an hour a day when I'm working to and from work and I need something to distract me from all the diesel fumes I'm breathing in.

I do recommend this guy's stuff though.  He emphasises he's not a historian, but as a very well read amateur his enthusiasm for the subject matter is infectious.  He's big on context - trying to imagine what it would have been like for those caught up in events of long ago, and what influenced how they reacted to them, which does help some of the inexplicable stuff that's gone on in the past make some sort of sense

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Each to their own - I don't get much time to sit and read a book, but I do get an hour a day when I'm working to and from work and I need something to distract me from all the diesel fumes I'm breathing in.

I do recommend this guy's stuff though.  He emphasises he's not a historian, but as a very well read amateur his enthusiasm for the subject matter is infectious.  He's big on context - trying to imagine what it would have been like for those caught up in events of long ago, and what influenced how they reacted to them, which does help some of the inexplicable stuff that's gone on in the past make some sort of sense

I've started listening to this podcast on your recommendation, and I'm really enjoying it so far. On the third part of the WWI one at the moment. Fills up a work day nicely in the background whilst working, so thanks for that!

I tend to find the Cold War period fascinating, especially around the Cuban Missile Crisis / JFK assassination period. When the JFK death anniversary rolls round and lots of documentaries show up on the TV I can end up losing hours of time lol

18 hours ago, orangecity23 said:

I've started listening to this podcast on your recommendation, and I'm really enjoying it so far. On the third part of the WWI one at the moment. Fills up a work day nicely in the background whilst working, so thanks for that!

I tend to find the Cold War period fascinating, especially around the Cuban Missile Crisis / JFK assassination period. When the JFK death anniversary rolls round and lots of documentaries show up on the TV I can end up losing hours of time lol

Glad you're a convert! The only one I wasn't so bothered about was the one about the Eastern Front in WWll, but that's only because I'd pretty much done that subject to death beforehand anyway.

Did you listen to the Cuban missile crisis one? I'm guessing he did it during the US election campaign - all the references to having someone sensible with their finger on the nuclear button make me think he did, anyway

1 minute ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Roman history has been my forte since I was ten. I have collected their coins and antiquities for some forty years now,

Roman Britain is my is my favourite aspect of the long Roman era.

I live in Weymouth. 10 miles north of me is Dorchester (Durnovaria) a former roman walled town. The lines of the walls can still be seen, as can a Roman Townhouse.

Then there is the Roman forts at poundbury, maIden castle and Maumbury rings. I am yet to find the aqueduct, but I know it's there somewhere among the sheep

1 minute ago, filthyfox said:

I live in Weymouth. 10 miles north of me is Dorchester (Durnovaria) a former roman walled town. The lines of the walls can still be seen, as can a Roman Townhouse.

Then there is the Roman forts at poundbury, maIden castle and Maumbury rings. I am yet to find the aqueduct, but I know it's there somewhere among the sheep

Good man! Hope you find it :thumbup:

I am still searching for a Roman settlement along the Roman road at West Wycombe. A cemetery was found during building work, so that would have been outside the settlement. I was given a few clues by an amateur archaeologist who moved to Cornwall. I know the rough area, following up clues he gave, and I believe I have located the track way that lay between it and the cemetery. It has taken me some fifteen years, but I wont give up.

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Glad you're a convert! The only one I wasn't so bothered about was the one about the Eastern Front in WWll, but that's only because I'd pretty much done that subject to death beforehand anyway.

Did you listen to the Cuban missile crisis one? I'm guessing he did it during the US election campaign - all the references to having someone sensible with their finger on the nuclear button make me think he did, anyway

Yeah, I started with the Cuban Missile Crisis pod, that's the one that lured me in! I enjoyed the one about the Spanish American war as well, I find bits of American history interesting, as we obviously don't get much exposure to it over here, so there's more new stuff to hear about. For the same reason I found the War of 1812 interesting when I was over in Canada with work, and my colleagues and I visited Fort George down in Ontario (#ladsontour #Craaazy), really interesting place, they do a great job of helping you to get an idea of what things were like at the time.

I'm fascinated what they might find about the Roman presence at Mancetter by Atherstone.   My late friend Frederick Covins who lived close to the British Camp in the Malvern Hills wrote a fictional book called "The Breaking Sword" based on the Roman occupation and their skirmishes with the British tribes. Archaeological findings suggest an important factual story to be told.   http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/boudica6.htm

Archived