Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Favourite (British) Indian Dish.

44 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I recently tried a bread based side with stuffed potatoes in it.  It tasted amazing as an alternative to naan, chapatis etc.  I can't recall the name of it though- do anyone know what I am talking about? 

Sounds like an Aloo Paratha. My go to side dish with a ruby. 

14 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

5 river punjab, All their dishes are foreign, even Some indian spices and herbs, were introduced with merchandise  exchanges.

Persians might also be insulted.

Food, like beer, and the stupid arguments over the both of them,Judgement belong in only in the customers hands, if they enjoy it..thats enough.

I loved all the regional dishes in India, I have eaten, in Various  homes and restaurants, I have loved the same named dished, even if

presentation and product has Differed, nomatter where I have been in the world,

unless it has really been poorly  cooked and prepared.Ditto for any cuisine.

I would say shame on any restaurant, who dont offer or cook the samed named dishes, that they present at home..!!!

Whats happened to "home made cooking" or  good ol'  Grandma  /motherS originals.

Begs the question why do Indians, Chinese, Italians or any nations people, go to their own original restaurants, do they enjoy

being conned or play pretend..

Want to spend time and enjoy the company around people of there own culture.  I know alot of people that like there food 'fusioned' or just the experience of eating out, knowing full well it's not the real deal.

Also, for me, although I don't eat at curry/indian restaurants, very rarely infact, I often go to 'poooonjabi pubs' or 'desi style' dhaba's/huts to eat food I can't make at home, for example, I love tandoori meats and dishes, unfortunately I don't have a tandoor, hence I go to places where I believe I can get good tandooried food.

14 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Well for me its the closest thing to homemade indian food and IMHO indian food is more tastier as a whole then any other ethnic cuisine. I am biased though seeing as im half indian as was spoiled by my grannies cooking lol.  if i am in a rush or dont feel like cooking id rather drop my cash at an indian restaurant than a McDonald's burger combo

Totally agree, I would even go as far I would rather go in any indian kiosk or cafe/snack bar, doest have to be a restaurant.

Shame some indian-asian group , hasnt ran out a quickfood jaunt, and expanded it further.

If I remember right there was an mcindian on the Belgrave gate- Charles street corner.

I am sure with pokarras/bahjis and small Thali examples, with various breads, would find a niche somehow.

Prefer it to any Hamburger joint

14 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Well for me its the closest thing to homemade indian food and IMHO indian food is more tastier as a whole then any other ethnic cuisine. I am biased though seeing as im half indian as was spoiled by my grannies cooking lol.  if i am in a rush or dont feel like cooking id rather drop my cash at an indian restaurant than a McDonald's burger combo

Totally agree, I would even go as far I would rather go in any indian kiosk or cafe/snack bar, doest have to be a restaurant.

Shame some indian-asian group , hasnt ran out a quickfood jaunt, and expanded it further.

If I remember right there was an mcindian on the Belgrave gate- Charles street corner.

I am sure with pokarras/bahjis/Samosas/Dhosa etc and small Thali examples, with various breads, would find a niche somehow.

Prefer it to any Hamburger joints.

Chinese and Vietnames have their quick snackbars, and Quite  a few around Europe.

I even found in Frankfurt, the city where I worked, had quick-indian joints, even Indian-burgers.

Even in London its difficult to find Indian snacks

15 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Want to spend time and enjoy the company around people of there own culture.  I know alot of people that like there food 'fusioned' or just the experience of eating out, knowing full well it's not the real deal.

Also, for me, although I don't eat at curry/indian restaurants, very rarely infact, I often go to 'poooonjabi pubs' or 'desi style' dhaba's/huts to eat food I can't make at home, for example, I love tandoori meats and dishes, unfortunately I don't have a tandoor, hence I go to places where I believe I can get good tandooried food.

Dhaba/huts (Kiosks) are around Leicester..??? 

I found a couple of good punjabi pubs, around Melton road while with Indian locals friends , some years back.

Didnt advertise food, but one just asked...brilliant find.

Took my wife and daughter, last November while back in Leicester hoping to enjoy something different.. (They know India and the small eating joints)

My luck..they were closed..15:00 hrs. Then found a music bar, open but only started food in the evening.Barman told me that

there were a couple more, but again food would be later.

What suprised me, was I have never seen them advertised..

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

I recently tried a bread based side with stuffed potatoes in it.  It tasted amazing as an alternative to naan, chapatis etc.  I can't recall the name of it though- do anyone know what I am talking about? 

Love all Indian breads, baked or fried.. Plain Paratha, I will always go for.  What you mention is an Aloo Paratha, Aloo is potatoe,

in Hindi and  Urdu. I also enjoy keema Naan ( spiced mincemeat) in bread.

Found a great Bread place in India , near Lucknow, Baked various sorts of bread, where next door was a wooden house restaurant,

Using that bakery, and also fried Breads, either plain or filled with various ingredients..Serving only  lentil/Dahl Dishes, all spicey hot

Different colours......Heaven..

Britain years ago, used to have a marvellous variety of Breads baked by different bakers, thanks to plastic supermarkets

Many recipes have been lost, or only to be found in the odd single bakery /Farmers market around the UK.

Strange..that the French / German still have their splendid markets, with old t r aditional fare, but their supermarkets can also

Offer traditional produce.

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Dhaba/huts (Kiosks) are around Leicester..??? 

I found a couple of good punjabi pubs, around Melton road while with Indian locals friends , some years back.

Didnt advertise food, but one just asked...brilliant find.

Took my wife and daughter, last November while back in Leicester hoping to enjoy something different.. (They know India and the small eating joints)

My luck..they were closed..15:00 hrs. Then found a music bar, open but only started food in the evening.Barman told me that

there were a couple more, but again food would be later.

What suprised me, was I have never seen them advertised..

There some.dhabey (small food joints) on at saviours road and green lane road.  Some very good o es and very reasonable

23 hours ago, Parafox said:

What is dayih and gobi (excuse my ignorance). Are there any authentic Indian recipes I can try? I like to make new dishes but not living in a city I find "proper" ingredients hard to come by, except for the usual powdered spices and regular herbs.

I do travel along Melton Road once a week so I can get stuff if I know where to go. :thumbup:

Dayih is homemade yogurt so to speak. I believe some people may spell it dahi but you should be able to google the F out of that. Aloo Gobi sajbi is typically made of mostly cauliflower with potato. I prefer more of a 2/3 ratio of cauliflower and 1/3 potato.

Spices can and should be bought at your local Indian  store. Garam masala, tumeric, coriander seed, cumin seed, kashmiri chilli powder (i prefer  to use fresh green chilis instead), cilantro etc.  Most homemade process involve the same simple cooking process of making thorka which essentially is your onion,  garlic, ginger, tomato and spice mix. Youtube is your best friend.

Archived