Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kalacs_Orthopedic_Shoe

Leicester 3-2 Leatherhead 1975

Afternoon,

With all the hype around Sutton and Lincoln at the moment and their remarkable efforts in the F.A Cup this season it got me thinking about Leatherhead in 1975. It was 11 years before I was born, so I only have the Youtube footage and few bits I've heard about Chris 'The Lip' Kelly off a few people. We obviously came close to going out to non-league opposition that day and perhaps would have if Kelly hadn't of seen his effort cleared off the line before the comeback.

Basically just interested in people's memories of the game and the build up surrounding Kelly and what he was going to do to us...

Also, not sure if we have been knocked out by a non-league side in the modern era? Certainly can't recall any physical or nostalgic memory... 

16 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Brilliant to see Wortho, Weller and Birch in their prime. Made my day this.

Me too. I was there....

The weller wortho combination was so  often a joy to see....

If I remember correctly leatherhead brought  decent noisey support. A bit

Like Kelly, a bit gobby some of em.

Class shone through in the end.

I think we were rattled when we went behind..

See  rofe and  birch bickering after the  2nd goal. Lovely era was Bloomfields team.

Great turnaround, Filbo r.i.p.

I was there with my Dad in the east stand, I was a little boy, I remember I kept turning round and talking to two blokes from Leatherhead, they were very polite, although I guess I was pi55ing them off. I remember telling them at half time we'd beat them 3-2.

I remember my Dad telling me off for continually turning round and annoying these chaps. At the end of the game I turned round and said, I told you! Then felt the open hand of my old man make swift contact to the back of my head, great memories.

I was there and remember the game well. Keith Weller was eventually the class difference between the two teams. Chris Kelly became semi famous for his trick "the Kelly shuffle". They were actually 2-0 up at one point, and their 500 fans created a fantastic atmosphere for a lower non-league team. Great Filbert Street memories

I was there too. In the North stand with my Dad, the end where all 5 goals were scored.

The Leatherhead fans had a section of the main stand next to us. I seem to remember they all wore party hats. After the first goal they all started chanting " we want two!". After their second it became  " we want three" and very embarrassing. We had the last laugh when ..as Danny Baker put it in his great video  "Freak Football".. the Leicester players said..." right..fags out lads...lets get to work".. and scored three great goals to win the match.

Memorable!

I was 19 and in Kop about a third of the way back just to the right of the goal on the screen. Remember the game, they stunned us in the first half with their intensity and belief. We're worthy of their two nil lead at half time. I remember it being pretty quiet in the Kop during half time?. Second half once we scored you could see we were going to win it. Weller was pure class and drove us forward. Lovely to see Weller, Birch Sammels and Worthington in their prime. It was such a pity that team in that era never won anything. We played some sublime football for a few years. Think if I remember right we offered Kelly a trial after that game. Never heard of him again. He looked pretty talented that day.

Far too young for memories of this but I've seen the footage a few times over the years. I dare say there's not many people who have heard of the place, just as the Birch said in the club history DVD! My Mum and her family are from Leatherhead and my Uncles all went to this game. Quite a few locals used to be quick to go on about it to my old man if ever we were down there and he was in a City shirt. It has always sounded like a great FA Cup day with a full house even against a non-league side! I've been to watch the Tanners a few times at Fetcham Grove when visiting the family in recent years; they're decent little club whose fans love to bring this game up in conversation at any given chance!

Great memories in those days. Big characters, Wortho, Weller, Birch, Sammels, Glover, etc, and charismatic manager in Jimmy Bloomfield, and full houses at Filbert street. Only eclipsed since by Martin O'Neill era and last years exploits. Still no better team to follow imo. Only thing I miss about living in Cyprus is my Leicester.

Absolutely fantastic day. The atmosphere was great and they were brilliant first half. In the second they tired a bit and our quality players stood up and took charge. Really what the FA cup used to be all about.

I'd put that alongside the 5-2 win over Shrewsbury in 1982 as the two most enjoyable FA cup days I've has as a Leicester fan.

29 minutes ago, CyprusFox said:

Yes, that and QPR 0 - Leics 2  1974. What ever happened to to 2 goal Joe Waters?

Didn't quite reach the expected heights by all accounts. An Irishman I know through work played in the same Limerick youth team as him when they were kids said that he went on to be quite a favourite at Grimsby and played a couple of times for Ireland.

I was 11 but as a City fan living in Leeds I couldn't get to the game. I remember Leatherhead were drawn at home but chose to play at our place, which made it even worse when we went two down. I was at a timber yard with my Dad and remember listening to it on their radio. I just remember feeling so low. Chris Kelly had done what he threatened to do. Fortunately it worked out for us. I think he tried to go professional but struggled coping with it from memory.

As for the Harlow replay listening in my bedroom (to probably the legendary Peter Jones) I've never known ten minutes go so quick. Hated that one.

Finally Burton with the bottle incident. Lineker hatrick wiped out and a 1-0 win behind closed doors in the following game. Memories from a magical competition. 

Unfortunately I have a memory longer than most - best cup game without a doubt 4-3 extra time win against Man City, having been 2-0 down ( 1968) Atmosphere was electric, Filbert Street rocking, 40,000. Frankie Large a legend - not much skill but fearless, never gave up, hell of a hand full for defenders and 100% City - wish he was still around now!

Archived