Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
24HourVardyPeople

Why do we jeer players who leave for bigger clubs when we display the same disloyalty?

Different people have different views on Ranieri, fair enough. Personally think he should have stayed, esp after a positive second half display yesterday. But I struggle to accept the logic of the disowning of players who decide to leave for a bigger club (the people who jeer Kante?!), yet the minute a manager who has eclipsed all achievements in Leicester history falters, decide we should cut him loose. Fair enough if you think that kind of ruthlessness is required, but why should we expect loyalty from players pursuing bigger contracts and bigger glory when we don't show the same understanding. It's in the 'long-term interests' of top players to leave Leicester. Those top players often say it was with a "heavy heart" and they will be "forever grateful". 

I'm not asking the question of 'Should Ranieri have been sacked', but if this is the view we now must take in football, then we should be more realistic when players (who of course know this about fans) decide 'well **** them, if i suddenly go 5 games without scoring i'm dead to these people'. 

Because you rarely see a player sacked? 

If Ranieri left us in the summer (like he said he had offers) and returned here with his next team he would still receive a standing ovation. 

We had glimpses of positivity in the second half yesterday but we were outclassed and personally thought we looked like a Sunday league side with no authority from the bench? 

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

I suspect this is going to be about the tribal nature of belonging and all the hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance inherent in believing ones chosen or given tribe is better than all the rest - when, quite obviously, that's not the case. The use of the word 'we' in so many posts on this forum is evidence of that. 'We should have sold him last season' and similar stuff reflects an unfounded assumption that our support gives us some pivotal position in the hierarchy of LCFC when that's never going to be the case. Identifying with the team or the state et al. Someone at a state function recently played the old version of the German national anthem - which includes the words #Deutschland über alles# - meaning Germany above everyone/everything - which is just not cricket, what ho.

The players realise early on that they are mercenaries and that their (rare) loyalty to a club is not reflected in the loyalty expressed by the club towards them. So they take the opportunities they are given to advance their careers and leave with a "heavy heart" maybe to placate the feelings of the fans in subsequent encounters or genuinely because they've developed a feeling for that indefinable melange of emotions that comprises love or loyalty or liking for a place or people. it always confused me when I saw a player embracing his team mates after a score and then, a week after his transfer, doing the same with a bunch of guys he had only met a few days before in training. Perhaps, in the fox-holes of football, when all are against you, the only people who understand you are the recruits you play alongside. I suspect asking for loyalty or affection from a player is rather like expecting a prostitute you've given x amount to, to love you. 

This is what p1sses me off about fans who have decried Schlupp, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Vardy etc. especially at matches when their imprecations are yelled out at a player with the express intention of belittling him. I've always hated these 'fans' (so much for my fellow tribesmen) because they're evidencing the lack of empathy for their fellow men that allows them free rein to criticise yet, were they in the same position, would probably run from the pitch blahting at the unfairness of it all.

I think all clubs should be obliged to retain the same players and manager for a complete season - from August to May. That would place an emphasis of making do with what you've got and oblige all concerned with knuckling down and enforce a kind of loyalty. Yet I've just thought of Ulloa's 'strike'. I think he's a good player and an excellent bloke who is rightly p1ssed off at having his worth ignored and his desire to have it appreciated elsewhere denied.

No easy answer to what you've posited here 24HourVardyPeople and I have answered it satisfactorily - just batted a few ideas into the air. I wanted Kanté to stay (so much so that I always spelled his name with the appropriate accent) but he went and I can't blame him for that yet I can harbour a resentment that he turned his back on 'us' at the time of 'our' greatest triumph. I watched him playing for Chelski recently and was in raptures over his ability yet I was rueing his abandonment of City at the same time - as if my beloved son had left me for another, richer family. It's complex - sometimes we just have to accept there are no certainties or clear-cut situations in being a football supporter (or indeed a human being).

Well thsts balls that up for some...

No more Knee- jerk rantings, and hissing and booing of ex players, or

traitorous defenders who Keep giving the ball away, or others who slip on their arses trying to develope their 

Synchronised swimming movements. Or Gks who make one gastly error after 7 Wclass saves.

Match-threads will never be the same ever again.I despair that you wont let me ever rant at the nonsense posts,

Who dare single out individual single mistakes, or try to civilise the bongos who continually witchhunt certain players.

Thankgod my Forum Pol i cing  days are over...lol

By the way top post, best sensible read for awhile..!!!!

7 hours ago, Gerbold said:

I suspect this is going to be about the tribal nature of belonging and all the hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance inherent in believing ones chosen or given tribe is better than all the rest - when, quite obviously, that's not the case. The use of the word 'we' in so many posts on this forum is evidence of that. 'We should have sold him last season' and similar stuff reflects an unfounded assumption that our support gives us some pivotal position in the hierarchy of LCFC when that's never going to be the case. Identifying with the team or the state et al. Someone at a state function recently played the old version of the German national anthem - which includes the words #Deutschland über alles# - meaning Germany above everyone/everything - which is just not cricket, what ho.

The players realise early on that they are mercenaries and that their (rare) loyalty to a club is not reflected in the loyalty expressed by the club towards them. So they take the opportunities they are given to advance their careers and leave with a "heavy heart" maybe to placate the feelings of the fans in subsequent encounters or genuinely because they've developed a feeling for that indefinable melange of emotions that comprises love or loyalty or liking for a place or people. it always confused me when I saw a player embracing his team mates after a score and then, a week after his transfer, doing the same with a bunch of guys he had only met a few days before in training. Perhaps, in the fox-holes of football, when all are against you, the only people who understand you are the recruits you play alongside. I suspect asking for loyalty or affection from a player is rather like expecting a prostitute you've given x amount to, to love you. 

This is what p1sses me off about fans who have decried Schlupp, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Vardy etc. especially at matches when their imprecations are yelled out at a player with the express intention of belittling him. I've always hated these 'fans' (so much for my fellow tribesmen) because they're evidencing the lack of empathy for their fellow men that allows them free rein to criticise yet, were they in the same position, would probably run from the pitch blahting at the unfairness of it all.

I think all clubs should be obliged to retain the same players and manager for a complete season - from August to May. That would place an emphasis of making do with what you've got and oblige all concerned with knuckling down and enforce a kind of loyalty. Yet I've just thought of Ulloa's 'strike'. I think he's a good player and an excellent bloke who is rightly p1ssed off at having his worth ignored and his desire to have it appreciated elsewhere denied.

No easy answer to what you've posited here 24HourVardyPeople and I have answered it satisfactorily - just batted a few ideas into the air. I wanted Kanté to stay (so much so that I always spelled his name with the appropriate accent) but he went and I can't blame him for that yet I can harbour a resentment that he turned his back on 'us' at the time of 'our' greatest triumph. I watched him playing for Chelski recently and was in raptures over his ability yet I was rueing his abandonment of City at the same time - as if my beloved son had left me for another, richer family. It's complex - sometimes we just have to accept there are no certainties or clear-cut situations in being a football supporter (or indeed a human being).

Bold a key point for me. On Kante, why can't we just appreciate and be grateful for those players who do grow an attachment for the club, and respect it as an inevitability that players like Kante - with just a year of his life spent at the club and from another country let alone city - is well within their right to leave and be happy for the time they gave us. In those circumstances, I can then understand more this sudden wave of brutal realism we see from fans now. Extraordinary how pragmatic fans become when we'd like to turf out a manager who has previously achieved the unthinkable, yet how dogmatic we become when a player decides he wants new challenges. When a player next decides to say 'results haven't been good enough', 'I deserve better' and 'I need a fresh challenge', I hope those fans remember their own words to justify sacking Ranieri. 

9 hours ago, EGBFitness said:

Because you rarely see a player sacked? 

If Ranieri left us in the summer (like he said he had offers) and returned here with his next team he would still receive a standing ovation. 

We had glimpses of positivity in the second half yesterday but we were outclassed and personally thought we looked like a Sunday league side with no authority from the bench? 

Is there much difference between offloading a player and sacking them? Struggle to see the difference between Ranieri leaving in the summer in those circumstances and Kante or Mahrez. And as these forums and mixed crowd response to Kante show, universal standing ovation far from guaranteed. 

Loyalty is more or less dead in football, money rules. Fans in it for glory, emotion, a majority of those working in it appear motivated primarily by money; as demonstrated by their decision making. The divide will drive fans away from the top-level game in the long term IMO, or to supporting lower-league/non-league local sides where there is less of a divide between players/boards/fans.

1 minute ago, Lesteban said:

Loyalty is more or less dead in football, money rules. Fans in it for glory, emotion, a majority of those working in it appear motivated primarily by money; as demonstrated by their decision making. The divide will drive fans away from the top-level game in the long term IMO, or to supporting lower-league/non-league local sides where there is less of a divide between players/boards/fans.

But surely player money is directly linked to increasing demand? As player wages have gone up, more people want to attend games and pay vast sums for the privilege, and more still pay larger and larger sums for sky sports. Don't see the prem dominance going anytime soon. 

2 minutes ago, 24HourVardyPeople said:

But surely player money is directly linked to increasing demand? As player wages have gone up, more people want to attend games and pay vast sums for the privilege, and more still pay larger and larger sums for sky sports. Don't see the prem dominance going anytime soon. 

Does this type of thing not disillusion you a little bit? It does me. I like football because I played it when I was younger and it's an emotional release, a shared experience of highs and lows with other fans. Increasingly, I just find myself getting frustrated with the business of it all. I don't care about the money, I don't care about the owners profits. It's harder to identify with the game now, its becoming less and less like my experience playing the game. 

Because we are Leicester City fans. We support our club, and take it personally when things aren't going right. 

The only ones truly loyal to a football club are us, the fans. Ranieri is a millionaire and he will go down in history for what we achieved last season. I think too many of our fans fell in love with his personality, we must move on as a football club and move forward

1 hour ago, 24HourVardyPeople said:

Is there much difference between offloading a player and sacking them? Struggle to see the difference between Ranieri leaving in the summer in those circumstances and Kante or Mahrez. And as these forums and mixed crowd response to Kante show, universal standing ovation far from guaranteed. 

Not quite sure what point your making with all this tbf? 

Depends in terms of circumstances why you would offload a player? No longer require service, poor for the team, don't fit philosophy of new manager... endless reasons. To sack a player it normally means they have done something to terminate their contract- Betting scandal for example. 

Kante leaving is like us signing Costa this summer, he jumped ship for what seemed like purely money motivation which is why he got mixed reception with his departure - but he did get a good reception only few months ago so what is put in a forum when leaving to when return to the club playing is completely different. Can name plenty of players who have gone who have served the club well that have received a good reception on return... Nugent another one a few weeks ago. So whether Ranieri left in the summer or sacked yesterday 100% sure he will get a good reception - no one who wanted him gone has said they hate him, it's just in the best interest of the club now. 

Archived