Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Swansea was the final straw

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4257936/Claudio-Ranieri-fired-Leicester-airport-hotel.html

The full details of Claudio Ranieri’s sacking by Leicester City emerged last night and Sportsmail can reveal:

• The club’s Thai owners let him take charge of Wednesday night’s Champions League defeat in Seville knowing it would be his last match in charge.
  • The decision to sack him was taken days earlier, with Leicester’s 2-0 defeat at Swansea on February 12 the final straw.
  • Ranieri was dismissed at an hotel at East Midlands Airport when he returned from Seville on Thursday.
  • Senior players want to see former manager Nigel Pearson reappointed.

Ranieri cut an isolated figure on Leicester’s chartered plane back from Spain. As some dozed off and others played computer games, the squad sensed the mood becoming a little tense.

Owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and his son, vice-chairman Aiyawatt, had decided against flying back with the rest of the Leicester party. Ranieri quickly realised why.

Storm Doris made for a troublesome landing and, when the cargo hold would not open, the group had to wait at the hotel for the problem to be fixed.

There, against the impersonal backdrop of a soulless hotel, director of football Jon Rudkin told Ranieri the ‘dream has died’.

The Italian was dignified in his response, telling his assistant Craig Shakespeare later: ‘That’s football.’ But, in truth, the decision had been made days before the creditable 2-1 defeat by Sevilla.

The listless 2-0 loss to Swansea on February 12 convinced Vichai a change had to be made, even though it came just five days after the club had issued a statement of ‘unwavering support’ for their title-winning boss.

There was concern at the time among senior staff about such a pronouncement, but the message was intended to generate a response from Leicester’s underperforming players.

Vichai flew in from Thailand for the FA Cup replay against Derby on February 8 and then took the players and Ranieri out for lunch at a plush Leicester restaurant on Friday February 10 in a bid to reignite team spirit.

But the performance against Swansea at the Liberty Stadium spoke volumes. Vichai had made a rare trip to an away game and his sour expression in the stands told its own story.

Some within the dressing room have expressed a desire to see Pearson return to the club for a third spell. The acrimonious nature of the manager’s 2015 departure, however, makes his reappointment unlikely.

Martin O’Neill retains strong allies in the Leicester boardroom and was approached before Ranieri was appointed, only for the former Filbert Street favourite to reaffirm a commitment to the Republic of Ireland.

Former Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is believed to appeal to Leicester’s owners but reports in Italy suggest he has distanced himself from the position. ‘I am sorry for my friend Ranieri,’ he wrote on Twitter. ‘He will remain in the history of LCFC, in the heart of Leicester fans and all football lovers.’

Former Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink has been sounded out and offers the Premier League experience and prestige which Leicester crave.

Club sources stressed last night they remain open-minded about the identity of Ranieri’s successor. Assistant manager Shakespeare, who has been placed in temporary charge and is a credible candidate for the permanent position, is expected to oversee Monday night’s visit of Liverpool.

When the spotlight was on Shakespeare as he spoke to the press on Friday afternoon, Ranieri slipped in and collected his belongings from his office at Leicester’s Belvoir Drive training ground. The players had already left the complex.

Later, Ranieri posed for pictures with fans at his house in a leafy suburb a few miles south and was given cards and wine by neighbours. ‘Devastated,’ was how he described his emotions.

In an eloquent statement, Ranieri thanked the players with whom he won the Premier League title. But those multi-millionaires were notable for their silence on Friday, in public at least.

Other than Kasper Schmeichel, no Leicester player took the time to post a message on social media thanking the manager.

Ranieri is expected to meet the squad today to say goodbye, although sources indicate he feels let down by those who were rewarded with significant pay-rises last summer.

He is equally upset at some support staff. The 65-year-old cut a lonely figure towards the end.

I'm really sad reading that.

The way he went in to the training ground to collect his belongings after the players had left.

What a shitty ending to a wonderful fairy-tale. 

9 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Vichai decided after Swansea according to The Mail. Cruel to let him continue with the 2 cup games if they had already decided.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4257936/Claudio-Ranieri-fired-Leicester-airport-hotel.html

This paints the players in a bad light - if true - I suspect that it isn't as bad as they say. 

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I'm really sad reading that.

The way he went in to the training ground to collect his belongings after the players had left.

What a shitty ending to a wonderful fairy-tale. 

It's just a shame his final games were all away and he never got that final send-off at home :(

The solace I take though is at least he finished on a little high with that battling second half display against Sevilla

Gave us one last cheer with that away goal

Ridiculous, make their decision even more questionable.

Unless it was internal dressing room matter they can't discuss in open.... You can't sack the manager who acheived the greatest achievement possibly ever in football. We've been relegated loads of times, but winning the premier league for a club like ours is once in a 100 years. 

Disgraceful that so many on FT were calling for his head after Swansea too. 

If we are judges by our behaviour and ethics, We deserve to be relegated for this alone, let alone our shambolic performances.

2 minutes ago, shailen said:

If this is true that is awful. Surely we would have it in us to sack him at the right time, rather than taking him along for the ride, getting a good result I'm Seville and then get rid.

It's shit mate. The whole episode and saga is just shit. Leaves a real bitter taste in the mouth..

If this was the case, what would've happen if we had beaten Milwall and drew in Sevilla. I was all for Ranieri to be let go of but two potential quarter finals, in any season would've made the decision very hard. I think that's poor journalism. 

I doubt we started collating a replacement list till this morning. The Mancini push back proves that.

3 minutes ago, shailen said:

If this is true that is awful. Surely we would have it in us to sack him at the right time, rather than taking him along for the ride, getting a good result I'm Seville and then get rid.

We dont know the circumstances. Just think how hard it must have been for our owners to sack a club legend like Ranieri. Maybe in the back of their minds they thought, lets give him a final chance against Milwall and Sevilla away.

33 minutes ago, shailen said:

Surely there was never going to be a 'good time' because of what he had achieved last season. 

Swansea was a huge game and we were made to look amateur, if he went straight after then everyone would of said atleast give him FA Cup and Champions League, poor against Millwall and then although the Seville game was a fairly poor performance we got a decent result which obviously now looks bad on the clubs part to be so soon after. 

All things considering its probably a good time as allowed him to take us in both cups and gave us 2 weeks to find a replacement, sacking now we have probably forfeited the Liverpool game but if a manager comes in Sun/Mon it gives them a week to focus on Hull game which will obviously be massive

2 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

We'll see about that.

I'm not suggesting it will guarantee being Mancini but however much managers respect/friends with one another, if the right job comes along at the right price they won't turn it down, if that's the case Chelsea & Real Madrid would of gone years without a manager by now. 

I'd have thought they let him have the champions league tie as he deserved it.

My head knows we were already relegated with claudio but I'm regretting what's happened already. Maybe we all need to have a look in the mirror. After what he gave us maybe even relegation shouldn't have been enough to sack him. 

But then the had again says that he could've changed it up and didn't and results were only going one way. 

Such a sorry time.

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

I'd have thought they let him have the champions league tie as he deserved it.

My head knows we were already relegated with claudio but I'm regretting what's happened already. Maybe we all need to have a look in the mirror. After what he gave us maybe even relegation shouldn't have been enough to sack him. 

But then the had again says that he could've changed it up and didn't and results were only going one way. 

Such a sorry time.

I agree with the first part. If we kept him the only way we were going was down. 

4 hours ago, Tuna said:

Other than Kasper Schmeichel, no Leicester player took the time to post a message on social media thanking the manager.

I suppose it would be too much to ask for the writer to do their research properly, although maybe they just don't know that Yohan Benalouane and Shinji Okazaki play for us.

22 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I suppose it would be too much to ask for the writer to do their research properly, although maybe they just don't know that Yohan Benalouane and Shinji Okazaki play for us.

True but the point still stands... And Kasper's post makes him more conspicuous now. Kasper and his old man are quite media savvy.... 

It speaks volumes that all the players who won the title with the manager and received all the credit they did.... Can't even have a spine enough to come forward to send commiserations to the manager.... I bet even those who would want to like Fuchs won't come forward in case they are seen as going against the dressing room clique of Kasper/vardy/Morgan/king ......Vardys post of a pic with Kasper says a lot too..... 

Utterly disgusted with these bunch of players.... And part of me would be glad to see the backstabbing ***** go down and lose a large chunk of sallery

Archived