Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
splinterdream

What do you think Claudio did wrong?

What mistakes did Claudio make and in the final stages was there anything he could do to have put things right?

I felt it started with the summer transfers although I don't know if it was all down to him? We all knew what additions were required, why didn't he get those players we desperately needed? Keane, Deeney, Sigurdsson - I think these players with N'didi could have made a massive difference

Was he too pig headed and old school in his approaches to training techniques and sports science and maybe tried to change too much? Did he try to do it all on his own when he should have delegated, maybe he was an ego himself after last season, maybe winning went to his head?

Could he have brought someone in to help when under pressure, an ex player maybe or was that out of his control? I felt some of the things he said in press conferences were ridiculous, to say before the Millwall game that it isn't his priority was just ridiculous, he may think it but don't say it, he gave the players an excuse to lose the game.

What a shame it had to end like this but I think he made some serious errors if all of the above was his fault

Everything, pretty much.

Players didn't look motivated. They played poorly every week yet he consistently picked them. The style of play was incorrect and the players didn't look interested. His substitutions every week were weird (at Millwall he took off our best players). One week Chilwell and Gray were in, the next they weren't.  

His transfers haven't been good enough and the players brought in have not improved the team. Musa cannot even control a ball. We lost our only World Class player to Chelsea while our best scout left as well. We did not replace either.

Absolutely embarrassing season.

Too loyal to the players that are underperforming.

To stubborn to 4-4-2 away from home.

To proud to admit Musa is basically shite.

IF he had any hand in transfers, then he needs to accept his part in the abject failure of our transfer policy in the last two windows.

1. Failed to address the defence. Signed 2 CBs in 4 transfer windows and one spent 18 months in  the reserves and the other sold 6 months after arriving.

2. Poor re recruitment. Musa cannot control a ball.

3. Failed to bring in a creative number 10 to give us a different outlet and not heavily rely on Mahrez for creativity. 

4. Incapable of adapting to opposition teams finding us out. Couldn't or wouldn't change our style when we needed to grind out results, especially away from home.

Some of things that certainly didn't help he can't  be blamed for, the signings we didn't make as that was down to the recruitment team and the ill-thought out pre-season as that would be down to the owners and Chief Exec.

2 minutes ago, the fox said:

Hhmmm, let's see. Didn't ask for a ball playing CBs, didn't ask for overlapping RB, didn't ask for a box to box CM, didn't ask for a CAM, played hoofballs to a 5'10" striker.... and list is long

Well he probably did, certainly there were enough players linked. The fact that we didn't  sign them is down to others at the club

Believed too much that he won the league then started trying to micro manage everything. I'm devestated by the way feel like a horse has kicked me in the nuts. But last time felt like this the owners picked Ranieri from nowhere and we won the league. One of those where a kid has to pick a parent either way you gonna feel disloyal

A lot. It's fine for everyone outside of our fan base to slag us and our owners off for getting rid of him, they're not the ones paying to watch that shambles every week, they're also not the ones that would be watching championship crap every week next year.

When we were at our peak and strongest position he managed to make us weaker.

By his own admission he needed to change nothing last season, so why did he end up getting rid of our strong backroom team, sports psychologists, sports science, out of his control we lost Steve Walsh and other key scouts but seemingly failed to recruit new ones or decent ones.

We lost N'Golo Kante and failed to replace him, we failed to sign new players and strengthen, when we were at our strongest position to recruit, when we had most to offer  - Transfers may not have been his dealing per se but he should have been more demanding, that is where Rudkin has let him down or when he has failed himself by not replacing staff he lost.

He carried on playing underperforming players, there wasn't a great deal of choice to change players, there were options, not many but there were options, whether they are good enough is another question but atleast try it, prove a point, principle, but we're going round in circle, we didn't have much choice because we didn't strengthen, we didn't sign anyone.

My biggest disappointment is 4 years+ of hard work Pearson did building foundations within and around the club, the backroom staff, most of that has been ripped apart with last 6 months+.

Appeared happy to concede possession to the extent we were on the ball for only close to 20 % of the playing time - with Kante mopping up attacks and starting counterattacks with 2-3 runners Ok - with everyone standing around waiting for a defensive blunder and a prompt second goal -not quite so great 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

When we were at our peak and strongest position he managed to make us weaker.

By his own admission he needed to change nothing last season, so why did he end up getting rid of our strong backroom team, sports psychologists, sports science, out of his control we lost Steve Walsh and other key scouts but seemingly failed to recruit new ones or decent ones.

We lost N'Golo Kante and failed to replace him, we failed to sign new players and strengthen, when we were at our strongest position to recruit, when we had most to offer  - Transfers may not have been his dealing per se but he should have been more demanding, that is where Rudkin has let him down or when he has failed himself by not replacing staff he lost.

He carried on playing underperforming players, there wasn't a great deal of choice to change players, there were options, not many but there were options, whether they are good enough is another question but atleast try it, prove a point, principle, but we're going round in circle, we didn't have much choice because we didn't strengthen, we didn't sign anyone.

My biggest disappointment is 4 years+ of hard work Pearson did building foundations within and around the club, the backroom staff, most of that has been ripped apart with last 6 months+.

Your last point is a big worry for me, it seems like our scouting system has changed, he apparently ignored the sports science team, so no doubt that hasnt been developed further, the mentality of  doing our business in our way, the new signings must be the right fit/personality seems to have gone out the window. Under NP, our infrastructure development was really impressive.

- Didn't manage the hang-over after winning the league.

- Didn't set a real objective for the season. 40 points as target was ridiculous and lead the players to rest on their laurels.

- Didn't do anything to stop the "too good to go down" mentality to make its way in the (shit)heads of the players.

- Sticked too long with a system that didn't work then started to change formation for nearly every game.

- Didn't drop players either out of form or underperforming.

- Played others out of position or benched them to accommodate said underperforming players.

- Never found his best starting XI by mid february.

- Baffling substitutions and line-ups.

Most of all lack of leadership, authority and ambition. Those are faults that can only get you sacked as manager. And rightly so.

23 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

IF he had any hand in transfers, then he needs to accept his part in the abject failure of our transfer policy in the last two windows.

I believe Rudkin was a big influence in overriding CR and his choices.

Tinkered where he didn't need to tinker. Played negatively to try and keep clean sheets when our attack was our best form of defense. Allegedly gave instructions to the players not to press, the thing that made them so successful last season. Lack of basic tactical instructions even last season as admitted by players. Changing tactics hours before games. Played 3-5-2 for the first (and only) time the day after selling our only remaining wingback. Completely lost the plot with substitutes vs Chelsea. Destroyed Pearson's crucial backroom staff foundations, sacking the psychologist because he didn't believe in such a thing. Lost pretty much our entire recruitment team. Extra training sessions which may have contributed to our injury woes. Steve Walsh left, who knows why, but Claudio disagreed with him when he was here. Not having sufficient insight to assess the team's situation. Far too stubborn.

Personally  for me  i think he promised  to many  playera things and player who didnt wanna be here he should  have been more ruthless and told em to go. Did what was best for the club not just keep a player for just cos what they did last year. Yes we would  have been upset  for a wile  but if we won games or lost with a fight  fan wouldnt miss em as much.  He should  have also stuck  with what  was working also maybe  that would  have made a difference  who know  but its happened

Will expand when I get a minute but I think things went wrong from the minute we became champions ...     And EVERYONE at the club was guilty to a different degree ...   Owners sending us all over the world ...   People leaving who should have been given an offer they couldn't refuse ...    Crap recruitment ....   Bad team selection and tactics ..   Etc etc ....   Funnily enough I think the players are the least to blame having played their fookin hearts out and never being given a rest.

Archived