Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Albrighton statement

What I don't get is, if all these players really respected him, why did they stop playing for him?

I'm not talking about Albrighton specifically but most of the players have now made statements saying how highly they thought of him yet there was no evidence on the pitch this season to suggest so.

I don't necessarily believe any of them did ask for him to be sacked, but the fact is he got sacked because of results and performances, and these players didn't show any fight at all.

3 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

What I don't get is, if all these players really respected him, why did they stop playing for him?

I'm not talking about Albrighton specifically but most of the players have now made statements saying how highly they thought of him yet there was no evidence on the pitch this season to suggest so.

I don't necessarily believe any of them did ask for him to be sacked, but the fact is he got sacked because of results and performances, and these players didn't show any fight at all.

perhaps because of how he got the players to change the way they play? poor decisions before matches and when choosing players i.e. changing tactics couple hours before games; not picking Gray against Sevilla which didn't go down well.

You can respect someone but also disagree with their decisions. I think Ranieri will always be respected by those at the club, especially the players because of last season.

10 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

But who, if anyone,  did they actually talk to. The owners in person, the Director of Football or someone else? And if it wasn't the owners in person what was the basis of any report that might have been passed on?

Is it possible a few players were simply made to feel free to express their views in the interests of improving things and actually had no idea those view would go any further or cost their boss his job? Just thinking aloud cos something seems fishy if players are claiming to be genuinely upset about their reported role in the saga.

You can never say never about anyone or anything but I don't see Albrighton as a school snitch, have never seen the guy give less than his best (even when it's not been particularly good) and he, as much as anyone, had lots to genuinely thank Ranieri for.   

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

perhaps because of how he got the players to change the way they play? poor decisions before matches and when choosing players i.e. changing tactics couple hours before games; not picking Gray against Sevilla which didn't go down well.

You can respect someone but also disagree with their decisions. I think Ranieri will always be respected by those at the club, especially the players because of last season.

Yeh you can disagree with the manager but that doesn't mean you down tools, does it?

That shows a lack of respect for both the management and, more importantly, the fans.

2 minutes ago, Thracian said:

But who, if anyone,  did they actually talk to. The owners in person, the Director of Football or someone else? And if it wasn't the owners in person what was the basis of any report that might have been passed on?

Is it possible a few players were simply made to feel free to express their views in the interests of improving things and actually had no idea those view would go any further or cost their boss his job? Just thinking aloud cos something seems fishy if players are claiming to be genuinely upset about their reported role in the saga.      

That's what I mean - all that is speculation, all I can comment on is what I saw on the pitch, and there certainly wasn't the commitment you expect when players are playing for a manager and club they respect.

I think the players have been trying, they seem now mentally weak. As soon as a goal goes in, our heads drop.

Ranieri stopped us playing high press and sacked the psychologist. Tactical changes shortly before games hasn't helped either. Too much confusion.

Ranieri forgot or didn't care about what made us so good last season, made too many changes.

Can it all be down to frustration with the manager though? Or these players have peaked career wise and are on the slope downward.

15 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Exactly this.

They didnt respect him.

I can't see how they can put a good performance in against Liverpool and for the rest of the season without 'coming out' with why they didn't for CR.

They are in a very difficult situation and I'm not sure how they know how to get out of it without the press crucifying them. If we (fans and players) stick together on Monday it may help them through this and get them back to a coherent unit. 

Everyone wants us to go down now. Don't give them that satisfaction. 

4 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

That's what I mean - all that is speculation, all I can comment on is what I saw on the pitch, and there certainly wasn't the commitment you expect when players are playing for a manager and club they respect.

You can sometimes mistake increasing fear (of making mistakes), frustration or a lack of confidence for a lack of commitment. All sorts of people have been individually accused of letting us down in various ways this season, but did that amount to a lack of commitment? I'm not at all sure. 

For instance Morgan's been nothing like the player of last season yet has continued to look as dogged as ever. It's just that he's not been so effective. A block gets deflected into the goal, his effort to get up the field and score ends with a sitter being blasted over the bar and so on. Does that really sound like a lack of commitment? Or the result of diminishing belief or self-confidence?

*Essay warning*

Rather than the players all downing tools and not playing for the manager, maybe they're actually not world class players who can perform at the top level season to season. Maybe the stars aligned and they all had the best season of their otherwise unremarkable careers. Of last season's heroes, I think only Kasper, Riyad and N'Golo would be at home at a bigger club challenging for honours every season.

I don't mean it to sound disparaging because all the players are club legends and they'll always be extremely highly appreciated here by Leicester fans. Even in a hundred years they'll be in LCFC history books and will go down as the players who won our first (and maybe only) title.

But, maybe they're not a group of players who can adapt to switching formations and positions from game to game. If so, Claudio clearly got it wrong and thought more highly of them ability-wise than he should have done.

As I said, I don't mean to knock the players but perhaps Claudio was doomed from the first kick. We couldn't play the same way without Kanté, many of the players couldn't sustain last season's form, and the 30+ guys (Huth and Morgan especially) are another year older. He tried to address these issues by signing Hernandez, Mendy, Musa and Slimani but it didn't work. Ndidi looks like a player but it was too little too late.

At the start of the season, Claudio said 40 points was the target and everyone laughed him off, but he was right. In terms of building for sustained success, we won the title too early. Survival is the most important thing. Champions League is a welcome and exciting distraction. But, we've got to focus on staying in this division and build again from there with a new manager and a smallish but significant overhaul of the squad.

Mahrez, Gray, Ndidi, Schmeichel, Chilwell and perhaps Vardy are the key players to keep from the current lot in my opinion. I think Vardy has one more storming season in him at least.

I don't want to knock Claudio either because I'm still very sad he's no longer our manager. Maybe we were always destined to struggle this year and perhaps there wasn't a lot he could do about it. But I do understand the owners' reasons for letting him go. We need a shot in the arm. We started this season badly and have got steadily worse as a trend. We had the odd anomalous result, like the home Burnley game, the home Man City game and the second half in Seville, but generally we are dropping like a stone. The owners probably shouldn't have given the 'unwavering support' line, but they have been indescribably amazing for this club. Without them we could be clinging on to Championship survival under Mandaric's dwindling resources or he could have sold us to a bunch of shysters, which can happen quite easily. Top and his old man are very considerate and respectful businessmen, but businessmen they are nonetheless. Prem survival is paramount and the team needed something to change in order for us to achieve that (we still might not). Without risk there is no reward. The plebian football pundits (here's looking at you Merson and Savage) hate us now because we had the temerity to do what any other club would have done to any other manager in the same position - providing that they didn't win the title the previous season of course.

To summarise, I love the players, I love Claudio and I love our owners. But I love Leicester City more. More than anything I want to see us stay in the PL and maybe challenge for another trophy.

I'm pretty sure 12 months ago they loved him. And the sacking naturally brings a time for reflection of that. 

He appeared clueless this season though and players need structure, order and clarity which is surely why they appeared in disarray. If your boss turns to shite your own performance generally suffers but when they go you tend to look back with fondness (especially if you've won the prem!)

59 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I think it was possibly sub-consciously, and the apparent fact we were told not to press like last season. 

If you feel the leadership is not as strong or not clear, sub-consciously this affects performance. Just like it would in any workplace not just football

I personally think Albrighton's is genuine.

He did have a family tragedy and Ranieri certainly gave him a lot of playing time.

Of all the abject players this season, I wouldn't say Marc is one of them. Worked his socks off and put in a shift whenever he's played for us

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

Wonder if he genuinely means it?

Archived