Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Interview with sports psychologist who was sacked by Ranieri

Pleasing to see that Shakey is the one who tries to motivate, inspire and galvanise the team. Promising for tomorrow...

Although this kind of stuff isn't professional and I disagree with how the club/Ranieri managed Way's departure:

Way realised he was being let go only when he asked the club’s kit men for his ticket allocation ahead of the season opener, and they mumbled something about his not yet being ready. “They sort of fobbed me off,” he recalls, sadly. “Told me to come back later. At the time I didn’t think much of it but I realise now that they knew I wasn’t being kept on…” 

Sure enough, a few days after Leicester’s 2-1 defeat at Hull City, Way got a letter from the club thanking him for his services but telling him he would no longer be needed.

He admits the manner of his departure left him feeling “bruised” – mostly because Ranieri did not ring him to explain his decision.

Seen on FB the other day that he was just in Prague giving a talk at a call centre. Whether you subscribe to psychology or not, seems like having a positive person like that is worth having around. Not like we can't afford it.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

also wonder who the 'terrorists' were that led to the fun being sucked from last season. Ranieri himself? The staff he hired? new players?

Given he mentions that the 'terrorists' are asking 'why are we playing these tactics' he is definitely referring to players. This probably comes back to the supposed 'ringleaders' we were talking about before....

Just now, brucey said:

Given he mentions that the 'terrorists' are asking 'why are we playing these tactics' he is definitely referring to players. This probably comes back to the supposed 'ringleaders' we were talking about before....

big assumption there though. 

Poor decision to let him go, no doubt about that.

However, he's a psychologist, not a football person. He needs to learn a bit more about tactics before he starts using phrases like 'I think Claudio rode a bit on the coat-tails of Nigel.'

If anything, I think that paragraph from Mr Way overstates, not understates, his own influence on last season's success. There is a bit more to management than he realises.

• Like 4

Just now, Kitchandro said:

However, he's a psychologist, not a football person. He needs to learn a bit more about tactics before he starts using phrases like 'I think Claudio rode a bit on the coat-tails of Nigel.'

If anything, I think that paragraph from Mr Way overstates, not understates, his own influence on last season's success. There is a bit more to management than he realises.

He did.

Unlike some old school managers, City boss Nigel Pearson values the role of the sports psychologist and employs Ken Way, who he worked with at Southampton and Hull.
Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/pearson-power-positive-thinking/story-20609350-detail/story.html#5gL7oGhvlPBHYeQs.99

Sports Psychologist for 25 years inc 5 at Leicester, i'm sure he's learned a few things in that time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I think that he's referring here to the positive atmosphere that Pearson created rather than the tactics themselves. The full quote:

29 minutes ago, brucey said:

“But if I’m honest I do feel he was a bit more distanced from the players and staff than Nigel was. Without wishing to be unkind, I think Claudio rode a bit on the coat-tails of Nigel, who had really built a special bond with the players and staff. He profited from the platform they created.”

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Really? The more I look back, the more I can see that it was the seige mentality of the "Great Escape" squad that Pearson,Walsh and Shaky created, that carried over into the title winning squad, the next season. 

Pearson went, and Ranieri camein and inherited a squad that thought, and were to a point, invincible ( all but 3 games). He really didn't have to do that much.Ok, subs on at the right time and a virtually none existent injury list to cause him issues helped a lot BUT, I don't think he is that far off the mark when he says that.

And for the record I like lots of others are greatful Claudio did what he did for the club .

He needs to learn a bit more about tactics before he starts using phrases like 'I think Claudio rode a bit on the coat-tails of Nigel.'

Edited by foz.foz
edit because my "quote" of Kitchandro went wrong