Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
STUHILL

Can we continue to carry Mahrez?

Maybe a controversial topic to post after such a good win, but I think watching the team work so hard tonight has only highlighted the lack of work Mahrez does in defence and in a 4-4-2, it is pretty essential. 

He seems to half heartedly track back and even when in position, he will allow players to easily beat him and not track runners, so a 1-2 pass easily gets in behind as he won't follow his man.

There were a few situations tonight I saw Simpson marking a player back post and an opposition player would then enter the box behind, and Mahrez would simply watch and not see the danger or see it and just not respond,

I know he doesn't have the defensive abilities of a winger like Albrighton, but that doesn't excuse not tracking a man or marking someone. That's just effort, not ability.

We allowed it last year, partly due to Kante but also because he was so important to us in attack as well. Even tonight though, he didn't contribute much in attack and I was hoping Gray would come on for him. He has become so predictable with his cut inside on his left. He does still have moments of magic in him, but I think most would agree, that Gray does too and looks far more capable of producing them at the moment. 

If we are sticking with a 4-4-2, I would start Albrighton on the right, and try Gray on the left. I think Gray works harder in defence and at the moment, offers more in attack too.

What are you talking about? I thought he had a decent game. We were playing Liverpool, a side with Mane, Coutinho, Lallana and Firminho all rotating and we made them look sub standard. He got back to help and got into some great positions up top too and ultimately we won 3-1. What more could you want? Liverpool are no chumps, it took a lot from everyone, Mahrez included, to make them look that bad.

Put in the pre-hull team that I would drop him for Gray but not that sure.

Didn't think he was that bad today. He has put in a lot of defensive effort in this season considering he should be at the other end of the pitch. 

I just want to enjoy the last few games we will have with him in the team.

I generally like your posts but have to completely disagree with you on this one.

Kinda tired of hearing people asking from a flair player to defend like a work horse. He was on about 0 confidence when when it came to get rid of his defender and made some quite crappy passes tonight. But don't forget the third came from him as he ran like crazy to save an overhit cross from Vardy and then beautifully linked up with Fuchs. He should've got an assist if Drinky was a bit more precise. He didn't have a great game by his standards but still is way above Gray in terms of influence on the game and end product. And to the contrary to the myth on FT, Gray doesn't defend better as him. By a long shot.

What he does need for a couple of games is benching though.

I'd leave him in for now, though he was much improved. Given the forward players Liverpool have, Mahrez lack of defensive abilities and only weighing about three stone I don't know what more you can ask of him defensively. He switched off a few times, but when he switches on again he's worth his place in the team, no doubt. He was instrumental in the third goal. 

He's looked sub standard this season because going forward we have been non existent. We know he isn't great defensively but that's all he's been doing all season. Hopefully now we are getting the ball forward quickly he will have more freedom to produce the magic that he is capable of. Game changing magic. 

Agree with this. Was infuriating to watch at times when the whole team was putting in a shift and he simply let men run past him.

On another day, we'd be punished for it.

He's always been a laid back guy but this is the highest level now, Shakey really needs to emphasize this to him.

I don't know what work goes on at the training ground but his game certainly needs work on.

I'm hoping the emergence of Demarai Gray can drive up some competition for places.

But to do that they've got to drop Riyad imo. The team comes first

18 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Agree with this. Was infuriating to watch at times when the whole team was putting in a shift and he simply let men run past him.

On another day, we'd be punished for it.

He's always been a laid back guy but this is the highest level now, Shakey really needs to emphasize this to him.

I don't know what work goes on at the training ground but his game certainly needs work on.

I'm hoping the emergence of Demarai Gray can drive up some competition for places.

But to do that they've got to drop Riyad imo. The team comes first

Lol, he was actually laid back and still PFA at the highest level.

3 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

Do you actually understand the game? 

I understand that in Gray I think we get a player who is offering more in attack right now and also works harder in defence. 

Starting Gray also means we can have Albrighton on the right, which I think is his best position. 

I thought we were great tonight. I just saw some warning signs when Mahrez didn't track his man or didn't spot or react to potential danger. 

17 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Maybe a controversial topic to post after such a good win, but I think watching the team work so hard tonight has only highlighted the lack of work Mahrez does in defence and in a 4-4-2, it is pretty essential. 

He seems to half heartedly track back and even when in position, he will allow players to easily beat him and not track runners, so a 1-2 pass easily gets in behind as he won't follow his man.

There were a few situations tonight I saw Simpson marking a player back post and an opposition player would then enter the box behind, and Mahrez would simply watch and not see the danger or see it and just not respond,

I know he doesn't have the defensive abilities of a winger like Albrighton, but that doesn't excuse not tracking a man or marking someone. That's just effort, not ability.

We allowed it last year, partly due to Kante but also because he was so important to us in attack as well. Even tonight though, he didn't contribute much in attack and I was hoping Gray would come on for him. He has become so predictable with his cut inside on his left. He does still have moments of magic in him, but I think most would agree, that Gray does too and looks far more capable of producing them at the moment. 

If we are sticking with a 4-4-2, I would start Albrighton on the right, and try Gray on the left. I think Gray works harder in defence and at the moment, offers more in attack too.

Knob

I was thinking this before the third goal. Then I realised I'd said the same thing all last year until he did something amazing. That skill to get the ball to Fuchs was top class and had it been Albrighton in that situation, as good as he was tonight, it probably would have been a Liverpool thrown in instead of sealing the 3 points.

Archived