Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Just now, VinceNoir said:

Sounds really good that. Cool that she enjoys watching you play as well!

I spent the most of yesterday unlocking parts of the map and visiting loads of shrines. Some of the shrine puzzles are so good! Also, I kept saying to myself "Right, I'll just go over there and then save it." Then "Ooooh what's that over there!". I'd say this process continued for an hour or two and I ended up in Gerudo Desert lol Such a cool place btw!

Think I'll sneak a few hours in before the Champions League tonight.

The last thing i did last night was unlock the map of the Gerudo Desert. The Divine Beast looks like he is on a rampage.

Yea its hard to put it down. You just think '1 more shrine', That leads onto having 4 orbs so you think may as well get an upgrade. Then you see something interesting and think i cant go bed until i look at that lol

My daughter enjoyed watching me play The Wind Waker. I want to show her Twilight Princess as well. Which at this moment in time i think is still my fave Zelda game. I love this one but if it turns out that there are only 4 dungeons i will be gutted. 

Mm, I've got a feeling it'll just be those four and then probably the castle itself. I think they make up for it somewhat with the huge amount of shrines, which essentially are mini dungeons. For me, it's neck and neck between OoT and TP, but so far this one is definitely up there. My only criticism of TP is the dungeon design, which at times seemed slightly repetitive. This video brings that up. It's really interesting so would definitely recommend it if you haven't already seen it :)

17 minutes ago, VinceNoir said:

Mm, I've got a feeling it'll just be those four and then probably the castle itself. I think they make up for it somewhat with the huge amount of shrines, which essentially are mini dungeons. For me, it's neck and neck between OoT and TP, but so far this one is definitely up there. My only criticism of TP is the dungeon design, which at times seemed slightly repetitive. This video brings that up. It's really interesting so would definitely recommend it if you haven't already seen it :)

Interesting video but ultimately for me the stand out moments stand out so much that the design can be forgiven. The bosses are on the easy side but they are fun to beat. I loved the boss in the Arbiter grounds using the spinning top.

Majoras Mask is another one of my favourite games simply because i loved how the game worked around the 3 day concept.

I always prefer having a bunch of bosses to beat and loads of proper dungeons to do. I dont class the shrines as mini dungeons as most of them are done in 5 minutes with no mini boss to beat. I guess though that there are mini bosses dotted around the huge map itself. 

If this ends up only having 4 actual bosses with Ganon being the 5th then i am a bit gutted at that but im sure once ive finished it i will still rank it up there as in my top 3. Will wait and see

37 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Interesting video but ultimately for me the stand out moments stand out so much that the design can be forgiven. The bosses are on the easy side but they are fun to beat. I loved the boss in the Arbiter grounds using the spinning top.

Majoras Mask is another one of my favourite games simply because i loved how the game worked around the 3 day concept.

I always prefer having a bunch of bosses to beat and loads of proper dungeons to do. I dont class the shrines as mini dungeons as most of them are done in 5 minutes with no mini boss to beat. I guess though that there are mini bosses dotted around the huge map itself. 

If this ends up only having 4 actual bosses with Ganon being the 5th then i am a bit gutted at that but im sure once ive finished it i will still rank it up there as in my top 3. Will wait and see

Agreed. That Arbiter Grounds boss was absolutely amazing!

I've got a feeling that this one will just have the 4 dungeon bosses and Ganon. I have, however, encountered two bosses in the wild, so there are probably a lot of optional bosses out there. It's certainly challenging the traditional Zelda format!

41 minutes ago, VinceNoir said:

Agreed. That Arbiter Grounds boss was absolutely amazing!

I've got a feeling that this one will just have the 4 dungeon bosses and Ganon. I have, however, encountered two bosses in the wild, so there are probably a lot of optional bosses out there. It's certainly challenging the traditional Zelda format!

Yea ive seen a massive skeleton and some big goblins so hopefully there will be some more variety of mini bosses. Got DLC still to come which might bring about a new dungeon etc.

Once ive done BOTW i will introduce my daughter to Twilight Princess. I reckon she would love the story in that. Just not the dark parts like the shadow realm sections 

On 11/03/2017 at 22:52, VinceNoir said:

I play it on the Switch and it happens occasionally for me - only in TV mode. So far it's only happened a few times when I'm in a grassy area with lots of enemies. IMO, it doesn't affect the experience whatsoever.

Damn, I was hoping to feel a bit better about the fact I'm not going to get to play this game for at least a few months, now I just want to buy it more but no way can I justify offloading 340 quid just for one game right now :D

19 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Finally got the Master Sword. 

Nice! I found it but wasn't beefcake enough to take it :( Will have to buff up a bit. Lost Woods was an absolute pain in the arse as well. Took me ages to figure it out.

36 minutes ago, VinceNoir said:

Nice! I found it but wasn't beefcake enough to take it :( Will have to buff up a bit. Lost Woods was an absolute pain in the arse as well. Took me ages to figure it out.

lol yea I lost count how many times I was sent back to the beginning. I won't tell u how strong u need to b. Gonna hav another blast later

13 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

lol yea I lost count how many times I was sent back to the beginning. I won't tell u how strong u need to b. Gonna hav another blast later

Got it last night, finished the 3rd dungeon and visited the last of the towers unlocking the full map.

9 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

Got it last night, finished the 3rd dungeon and visited the last of the towers unlocking the full map.

Awesome. I still haven't continued on with the 2nd dungeon as my daughter wanted to watch the main story. So last couple of play throughs i have been just going round exploring. 

Is is there a reason for the gemstones except for selling them? I hav got loads of diamonds, sapphires etc and I need rupees but don't want to sell them in case I need them for upgrades etc

Update: Bought it off the nintendo shop but their servers bug out and tell me they can't connect every time I try to perform the actual download.  You didn't have any difficulty connecting to my bank, Nintendo. :dry:

Smashed a fair bit this weekend. Finished 3 dungeons, only got the Goron one left to do which I'm about to attack the divine beast. Found the 4th great fairy but need more rupees to unlock it. Almost got my 2nd full stamina wheel now. I've done a lot of wandering about exploring. Finding loads of korok seeds and shrines. Ready to finish the story now in the hope there r more dungeons. Don't think there will b tho

Never looked into these Amiibos but using different Link figures gives you extras like the traditional green tunic etc. Just looked on Ebay and the characters are going for stupid prices. People are daft to spend that kind of money on what is basically DLC.

I'm loving this game but I still think I prefer the more linear approach. Still not sure if I would say this is the best Zelda ever like a lot of people are claiming.

I've been putting off giving my first impressions because I knew it wouldn't be well received on here if I chimed in with "wow the graphics are offensively bad after all".  But I stuck with it and eventually you find you've become so engrossed in exploring the game world, solving puzzles and taking out monsters that you find you've completely forgotten about not having the draw distance, resolution or fps of a PC running games at ultra-high settings.  My biggest gripe is that there are indeed quite a few areas where you're wandering around and the frame rate becomes significantly jittery but I can't recall it happening during combat at all or indeed at any other time where a drop in fps would significantly affect the on-screen action.  Much like has been reported with the switch between docked and portable on the Switch, playing the game through the Wii U's tablet controller makes it look more visually impressive, unfortunately the screen's too small to make it worth any lengthy use as I soon find myself getting irritated with the reduced field of view (good for trips to the loo though).

As for the gameplay itself:  Explore, explore, explore. I still haven't even reached Kakariko village and though I can't find any means of gauging my playing time, I'd estimate I've been playing for a good 15-20 hours already, though I think that says more about my tendency to examine every possible pixel for goodies than anything else lol  Feeling good about my first horse:  When I found my first herd I made a beeline for one which is the spitting image of Epona (so obviously that's what I called it).  She's a plain brown horse and she has 3 speed and 4 stamina.  After the kids at the stable told me about the difference between spotty and plain horses I tamed a cool looking jet-black horse with a white mane for comparison to see if it had the same stats as my plain brown one and it has the same speed but only 3 stamina.  Thus ended my brief spot of equine dabbling, Epona looks like a winner for now.  My next target is to tame a bear: I nearly accidentally mounted one not realising that it was even possible so obviously I spent the next 5 minutes trying various tactics to get the "mount" action to pop up again but I only ended up killing the poor thing.  Next time...  That is unless I'm being stupid and the "mount" button only showed up because I was near Epona which I'm thinking now may have been the case since I never did get it to show up a 2nd time on the bear.
Combat: If you've played Zelda before you know exactly what you're getting here.  Generally it's not been as challenging as I was expecting it to be from some of the comments but then I did play Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to the death so I've had a bit of practice with the old lock-on/side-step/jump slash routine. Case in point: Before I'd even started on the shrines on the plateau I was already able to take out one of the guardians near the bomb shrine and it wasn't even that challenging in terms of combat (hit it with an arrow before it charges its beam up, smack it with a hammer, rinse and repeat) though the sheer volume of arrows and melee weapons required before its health ran out (I get the feeling this is the main barometer of difficulty for combat in this game) meant I thought better of going on a guardian purge.  Which isn't to say that combat isn't fun, it is, especially when you start experimenting with the more unique ways of taking down mobs (magnetic boulder mace is a personal favourite).  No, rather than dying in the glory of battle, most of my deaths to this point have been from sheer personal idiocy like forgetting I'm on a ledge when I'm in telescope mode or accidentally releasing magnetic boulders on top of myself lol  There have of course been a couple of mini-bosses with one-hit-kill slaps and tanky health bars that I'm going to have to return to with bigger weapons and more hearts but on the whole mobs are very manageable and happy to provide you with low-tier weapons to use so you can hold onto your flame sword for something more challenging down the line.  Have to say I quite like the new weapon collection/degradation system. I think it would be good if broken weapons stuck around in your inventory so you get the choice of either holding onto them in the hope of fixing them eventually or tossing them.  Likewise it would be useful to be able to tell what my weapon's wear level is instead of only knowing that either "it's fine for now" or "it's going to break in one or two swings".

Overall it's showing a lot of promise so far.  I quite like the open-roaming style (though I'm not convinced yet that it's any more free-roaming than previous titles in the series like is being made out, just much larger so far, of course that's the word of a person who's barely dipped a toe in the main storyline so take a big pinch of salt with that one)  I just hope the huge world doesn't count against it and I lose interest before I've explored it all :D 

11 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I've been putting off giving my first impressions because I knew it wouldn't be well received on here if I chimed in with "wow the graphics are offensively bad after all".  But I stuck with it and eventually you find you've become so engrossed in exploring the game world, solving puzzles and taking out monsters that you find you've completely forgotten about not having the draw distance, resolution or fps of a PC running games at ultra-high settings.  My biggest gripe is that there are indeed quite a few areas where you're wandering around and the frame rate becomes significantly jittery but I can't recall it happening during combat at all or indeed at any other time where a drop in fps would significantly affect the on-screen action.  Much like has been reported with the switch between docked and portable on the Switch, playing the game through the Wii U's tablet controller makes it look more visually impressive, unfortunately the screen's too small to make it worth any lengthy use as I soon find myself getting irritated with the reduced field of view (good for trips to the loo though).

As for the gameplay itself:  Explore, explore, explore. I still haven't even reached Kakariko village and though I can't find any means of gauging my playing time, I'd estimate I've been playing for a good 15-20 hours already, though I think that says more about my tendency to examine every possible pixel for goodies than anything else lol  Feeling good about my first horse:  When I found my first herd I made a beeline for one which is the spitting image of Epona (so obviously that's what I called it).  She's a plain brown horse and she has 3 speed and 4 stamina.  After the kids at the stable told me about the difference between spotty and plain horses I tamed a cool looking jet-black horse with a white mane for comparison to see if it had the same stats as my plain brown one and it has the same speed but only 3 stamina.  Thus ended my brief spot of equine dabbling, Epona looks like a winner for now.  My next target is to tame a bear: I nearly accidentally mounted one not realising that it was even possible so obviously I spent the next 5 minutes trying various tactics to get the "mount" action to pop up again but I only ended up killing the poor thing.  Next time...  That is unless I'm being stupid and the "mount" button only showed up because I was near Epona which I'm thinking now may have been the case since I never did get it to show up a 2nd time on the bear.
Combat: If you've played Zelda before you know exactly what you're getting here.  Generally it's not been as challenging as I was expecting it to be from some of the comments but then I did play Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to the death so I've had a bit of practice with the old lock-on/side-step/jump slash routine. Case in point: Before I'd even started on the shrines on the plateau I was already able to take out one of the guardians near the bomb shrine and it wasn't even that challenging in terms of combat (hit it with an arrow before it charges its beam up, smack it with a hammer, rinse and repeat) though the sheer volume of arrows and melee weapons required before its health ran out (I get the feeling this is the main barometer of difficulty for combat in this game) meant I thought better of going on a guardian purge.  Which isn't to say that combat isn't fun, it is, especially when you start experimenting with the more unique ways of taking down mobs (magnetic boulder mace is a personal favourite).  No, rather than dying in the glory of battle, most of my deaths to this point have been from sheer personal idiocy like forgetting I'm on a ledge when I'm in telescope mode or accidentally releasing magnetic boulders on top of myself lol  There have of course been a couple of mini-bosses with one-hit-kill slaps and tanky health bars that I'm going to have to return to with bigger weapons and more hearts but on the whole mobs are very manageable and happy to provide you with low-tier weapons to use so you can hold onto your flame sword for something more challenging down the line.  Have to say I quite like the new weapon collection/degradation system. I think it would be good if broken weapons stuck around in your inventory so you get the choice of either holding onto them in the hope of fixing them eventually or tossing them.  Likewise it would be useful to be able to tell what my weapon's wear level is instead of only knowing that either "it's fine for now" or "it's going to break in one or two swings".

Overall it's showing a lot of promise so far.  I quite like the open-roaming style (though I'm not convinced yet that it's any more free-roaming than previous titles in the series like is being made out, just much larger so far, of course that's the word of a person who's barely dipped a toe in the main storyline so take a big pinch of salt with that one)  I just hope the huge world doesn't count against it and I lose interest before I've explored it all :D 

You can mount wild animals including bears so hav fun next time you find one lol. It's more open world simply because u can take on a dungeon in any order. 

Im ready to go to the castle to fight Ganon but I'm holding off and just exploring various areas and trying to get some rupees for the various side quests that I need a bunch for. Still loving the game but the wow moments for me were from when I played Twilight Princess and its boss battles. The boss battles in this haven't given me any real WOW moments which is my biggest gripe. 

I still dont don't own a horse lol I've rode one but then let it go. I really should get my own noble steed. 

The game is really good and you will have plenty of enjoyment out of it. Last night I was telling myself to go to bed at about 11pm. Finally turned it off at 1:20am lol. Can't just save and turn it off when you see something else that just has to b explored

I've enjoyed it immensely and I'm ready to fight Ganon now. Just doing some side and shrine quests to prolong the experience. I've probably played a good 40-50 hours or so. It's been great, but it's not flawless. After the first two dungeons, the rest felt a bit repetitive. I finished off with the bird one and it was unsatisfyingly easy. I think I completed it in 15 minutes.

The bosses are cool, but again, a bit repetitive and far too easy once you obtain the master sword. I dunno, it kind of seems a bit less rewarding hacking and slashing away with a sword until you beat him. In the first dungeon, the boss fight was super hard because my weapons were shit, but I guess it was always gonna get easier in line with the weapons you'd pick up.

The overworld is by far the best in any Zelda ever and the feeling of exploration is absolutely unbelievable. As Kingcarr said, you always end up playing longer than expected. I just hope I still feel that way when I eventually play through it again in, say, a year's time. Enemies are great too. The Guardians are so scary and I'm still yet to defeat one. Expecting that I'll have to do that on my way to Hyrule Castle though!

All in all, it's been amazing and worth every penny and then some. But based on my experience so far, I won't say it's better than OoT. I would, however, place it in 2nd place in front of Twilight Princess.

22 minutes ago, VinceNoir said:
  Hide contents

I've enjoyed it immensely and I'm ready to fight Ganon now. Just doing some side and shrine quests to prolong the experience. I've probably played a good 40-50 hours or so. It's been great, but it's not flawless. After the first two dungeons, the rest felt a bit repetitive. I finished off with the bird one and it was unsatisfyingly easy. I think I completed it in 15 minutes.

The bosses are cool, but again, a bit repetitive and far too easy once you obtain the master sword. I dunno, it kind of seems a bit less rewarding hacking and slashing away with a sword until you beat him. In the first dungeon, the boss fight was super hard because my weapons were shit, but I guess it was always gonna get easier in line with the weapons you'd pick up.

The overworld is by far the best in any Zelda ever and the feeling of exploration is absolutely unbelievable. As Kingcarr said, you always end up playing longer than expected. I just hope I still feel that way when I eventually play through it again in, say, a year's time. Enemies are great too. The Guardians are so scary and I'm still yet to defeat one. Expecting that I'll have to do that on my way to Hyrule Castle though!

All in all, it's been amazing and worth every penny and then some. But based on my experience so far, I won't say it's better than OoT. I would, however, place it in 2nd place in front of Twilight Princess.

Twilight all the way for me. Nostalgia though keeps OoT up there as well

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

Twilight all the way for me. Nostalgia though keeps OoT up there as well

I loved OoT. At the time of release I was only 8 and I was amazed by it. Spent hours and hours watching my brother play, before I had a go myself. I loved the Water Temple and some of the bosses. Twinrova, Morpha, Phantom Ganon, JabuJabu boss (I forget the name) are all personal favourites.

Twilight is an impeccable game too. A couple of really good dungeons (Lakebed, Goron Mines) and the best Ganon fight in any Zelda game. That was absolutely epic! I'm just pleased that BOTW has given me another Zelda experience similar to those two games.

For some reason, I never got into either Majora's Mask or Wind Waker and I found Skyward Sword very dull. Might return to some of the older Zelda games soon, but I find it a bit tough to get into the style, because my introduction to the franchise was through OoT ;)

1 hour ago, VinceNoir said:

I loved OoT. At the time of release I was only 8 and I was amazed by it. Spent hours and hours watching my brother play, before I had a go myself. I loved the Water Temple and some of the bosses. Twinrova, Morpha, Phantom Ganon, JabuJabu boss (I forget the name) are all personal favourites.

Twilight is an impeccable game too. A couple of really good dungeons (Lakebed, Goron Mines) and the best Ganon fight in any Zelda game. That was absolutely epic! I'm just pleased that BOTW has given me another Zelda experience similar to those two games.

For some reason, I never got into either Majora's Mask or Wind Waker and I found Skyward Sword very dull. Might return to some of the older Zelda games soon, but I find it a bit tough to get into the style, because my introduction to the franchise was through OoT ;)

I can't remember when it came out but I must have been a similar age (I am 31 now) that moment when u turned into adult link will forever live with me. 

I loved all thw bosses in OoT and twilight princess. Skyward sword I enjoyed but hated the shadow realm portions of the game (iirc you were followed by horrible ghosts)

i loved Majoras mask. The 3 day system was well thought out. Lack of dungeons let it down but it could be forgiven with the amount u had to do to get to each dungeon. 

God if I forget how good Zelda is until a new one comes along

I've beat Ganon. What a huge disappointment. I fought enemies that caused higher damage than him. Absolutely gutted. This game overall is good but could have been so much better. I'm sat here watching the credits unsure on what to make of it now. Each divine beast questline were too quick. The Goron temple literally took me 10 mins it was so easy.

no reason whatsoever to get loads of hearts or extra defence in your armour I think I ate 2 meals against Ganon. Never used my ability to revive myself either.

lets hope there are some after story things to do apart from just collecting the last shrines etc

13 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I've beat Ganon. What a huge disappointment. I fought enemies that caused higher damage than him. Absolutely gutted. This game overall is good but could have been so much better. I'm sat here watching the credits unsure on what to make of it now. Each divine beast questline were too quick. The Goron temple literally took me 10 mins it was so easy.

no reason whatsoever to get loads of hearts or extra defence in your armour I think I ate 2 meals against Ganon. Never used my ability to revive myself either.

lets hope there are some after story things to do apart from just collecting the last shrines etc

Gutted that it didn't live up to your expectations, mate :( I've not taken him on yet. Trying to do all the side quests and shrines before I head towards Ganon. It's a shame if it's too easy. I wonder if that is because you can choose to fight him whenever. For instance, if you hadn't completed the dungeons it would be much harder. Mind you, that does seem a bit daft because why would anyone skip a huge chunk of the main quest?

One of my few gripes with this game is the food intake. It's far too easy to cook up about 20 meals that can replenish +15 hearts and by doing that, you're basically never in danger. It'd be good if there was a limit to the food intake where Link would simply be absolutely stuffed after 2-3 meals and couldn't eat anymore.

Still enjoying the game and will possibly tackle the boss this weekend. Looking forward to pro mode and the extra dungeons that will come in the DLC package later this year. Hopefully it'll be a huge dungeon and not another divine beast one.

Archived