Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What Disasters Do You Remember?

29 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

not so much disasters,but i remember vividly watching the news about murders and then the police suspecting the Yorkshire ripper.

Hmm i was interviewed by the police on this as i had a green estate car.

Princess Dianna - Perhaps not a "disaster" but huge news and the earliest major story of its kind I remember.

9/11

Bam earthquake (Iran) in 2003.

7/7 London

Tsunami in Japan - 2011 I think.

Virginia High School

Norway killings

Tunisia shootings

Chapecoense

Just now, davieG said:

Hmm i was interviewed by the police on this as i had a green estate car.

Really?. I've just been watching a YouTube video about Bruce Jones ( Les Battersby) who discovered a victim. 

He was told by the police that whoever finds the body is normally the murderer. Poor sod was only putting a shed up.

Things that spring to mind, Lockerbie, James Bulger, Fred West, Harold Shipman, Diana, Columbia shuttle disaster, 9/11. Bulger, West and Shipman and Diana obviously not disasters but massive news nonetheless that have stayed in my mind.

I was only a kid but I still remember that image of the crumpled cockpit of the lockerbie plane.

Remember most all those mentioned on here and was on duty at the Mercury the day the plane crashed at Kegworth. Aberfan made the greatest impression - so many kiddies killed and so many families suffering in such a small community. The images and the needlessness of it still haunt me whenever the subject is mentioned.

Perhaps the saddest day of my life apart from death of my grandaughter's mum at the time of her birth.Can anything compare with a new mum on life support while their beautiful baby lay in her arms unable to have even a  kiss or a hug.

The Herald of Free Enterprise disaster remained in my mind too because it was outside a port I used regularly when I was coaching in Holland and I particularly remember the sinking of the Sir Galahad in the Falklands because I'd interviewed a young recruit and his proud parents, then had to go back to interview them again when the lad was reported killed.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/chilling-account-sir-galahad-attack-2015148

Reference to the loss of Flight587 over New York in 2001 gets me too. One of my dearest friends - a United Airlines employee - was due to be on the flight but her connection out of Germany was delayed and she agreed with her husband to catch a flight the following day instead. Her husband however was one of the 260-odd passengers and ground victims who lost their lives when the plane hit the ground. I played and replayed a reconstructive video of what happened and the human error and inadequate training that lead to the disaster. Again, it as all so unnecessary. Basically over-aggressive rudder control after the plane hit the turbulence made by an earlier departure.

Well this is all a bit depressing! The ones that stand out I suppose:

9/11

7/7

Hillsborough

Dunblaine

Hungerford

Lockerbie

Chernobyl

Brighton 

10 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Thinking back, a lot of the 1980s disasters which stick in the mind were health and safety issues or arose from defective systems or errors:

Bhopal

Herald of Free Enterprise

Piper Alpha

Kings Cross fire

Heysel/Hillsborough/Bradford

I find it odd that nobody ever remembers Ibrox.

42 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Before my time.

Sure, but I meant generally. Whenever football disasters are mentioned it's usually overlooked.

I wonder how many realise that there were in fact two Ibrox disasters?

9/11 was the first I remembered.

Closely followed by the London bombings, we had "News Hour" at school where we went through the Newsround website so we watched it unfold from a power outage to something serious enough for the teacher to let us play for the last half an hour.

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't remember it (obviously) but I was born just as the radiation cloud from Chernobyl arrived over here. I always thought that explained a lot.

Kept you thin though eh?

Every cloud an all that......

I remember 9/11 very well, i was on my way to Gatwick Airport when we heard the news on the radio. not ideal circumstances for hearing news like that, especially for a 13 year old looking forward to a nice holiday!!

I remember the James Bulger murder very well and the debate about 'video nasties'. I'm not sure I can remember another event that had that affect on people. Even now any mention of it just depresses me unbelievably.

Archived