Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Cheltenham Festival 2017.

This beauty deserves a thread of its own. 

Been buzzing for this since the new year turned in. Off to ladies day in the club enclosure this year. Love the whole week but you can't beat being there. With less than a week to go the build up is getting a lot more exciting now and with all the preview nights you can start to gauge a better feel for it all. Who runs where and what the people in the game fancy. 

As stated in the other thread, let's dance is my nap of the week. 

Also I've done the obligatory festival tipping competition - here's the link to the league. More the merrier! 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fantasycheltenham 

League Name - Champions Of England

Pin - 8122675

Going on the first day in the poor mans enclosure. Been every year since 1987 seen some unbelievable races  Nortons Coin 100-1,someone on the coach had backed him on the tote returned ridiculous odds won over £2k a lot of money in 1990. Desert Orchid hated the course but overcame Yahoo 33/1 in the final strides in 1989 what a truly brave horse, my mate incidentally was on Yahoo and I had backed Dessie. Best day was Champion Hurdle day 2004 when I backed Hardy Eustace for the Champion Hurdle on the rails 33/1 and £5 EW on the tote returned about 40/1 can remember having wads of cash as I had a few 5 winners on that day,happy days.

Everyone going have a good one and  don't drink too much of the dark nectar.

11 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

Going on the first day in the poor mans enclosure. Been every year since 1987 seen some unbelievable races  Nortons Coin 100-1,someone on the coach had backed him on the tote returned ridiculous odds won over £2k a lot of money in 1990. Desert Orchid hated the course but overcame Yahoo 33/1 in the final strides in 1989 what a truly brave horse, my mate incidentally was on Yahoo and I had backed Dessie. Best day was Champion Hurdle day 2004 when I backed Hardy Eustace for the Champion Hurdle on the rails 33/1 and £5 EW on the tote returned 66/1 can remember having wads of cash as I had a few 5 winners on that day,happy days.

Everyone going have a good one and  don't drink too much of the dark nectar.

I was 16 and had 25 e:w on cool ground to win the gold cup at 50/1 and he romped Home

in an amazing twist he ended up seeing out his life near Kilworth Leics and I was able to visit him when he was old and pay for his carrots 

it was my first proper proper bet landed 

funded my move to uni in UK off that return as I backed commander in chief antipost at 10/1 to win the derby £100 each way ! 

I then took the money and left for Leicester ! 

36 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

I was 16 and had 25 e:w on cool ground to win the gold cup at 50/1 and he romped Home

in an amazing twist he ended up seeing out his life near Kilworth Leics and I was able to visit him when he was old and pay for his carrots 

it was my first proper proper bet landed 

funded my move to uni in UK off that return as I backed commander in chief antipost at 10/1 to win the derby £100 each way ! 

I then took the money and left for Leicester ! 

Nice touch Paddy. Any similar tips would be appreciated.

I didn't start that early at pitting my wit's against the old enemy, in fact up to the age of 23 I wouldn't have had a clue what a turf accountant was, pity it didn't stay that way as the bookies are well in front over the years lol

5 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

Nice touch Paddy. Any similar tips would be appreciated.

I didn't start that early at pitting my wit's against the old enemy, in fact up to the age of 23 I wouldn't have had a clue what a turf accountant was, pity it didn't stay that way as the bookies are well in front over the years lol

In ireland we like to get our kids addicted quick 

bush drinking by 12 and gambling by 15:16 lol 

i have paid for many a Bookies pension pot over the years 

but in last 10 years it's been steady I have about 6 in training and it works to keep the info coming 

there is a few nice 2yo's coming along one we have pointed at bath next month 

1 minute ago, GaelicFox said:

In ireland we like to get our kids addicted quick 

bush drinking by 12 and gambling by 15:16 lol 

i have paid for many a Bookies pension pot over the years 

but in last 10 years it's been steady I have about 6 in training and it works to keep the info coming 

there is a few nice 2yo's coming along one we have pointed at bath next month 

Made me chuckle

It is the Irish that make Cheltenham so special and I don't just mean the Guinness :D

Seriously cant wait best week in the year!

Some big horse missing but will make it just that bit more enjoyable!

Paul Barber who is part owner of  'Ask the Weatherman' is a family friend and is extremly confident in the horse will be running in the Foxhunter Friday 4:10 around 5/1.

32 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

Made me chuckle

It is the Irish that make Cheltenham so special and I don't just mean the Guinness :D

I agree is like paddys day every day 

and gold cup on paddys  day is always special 

28 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Seriously cant wait best week in the year!

Some big horse missing but will make it just that bit more enjoyable!

Paul Barber who is part owner of  'Ask the Weatherman' is a family friend and is extremly confident in the horse will be running in the Foxhunter Friday 4:10 around 5/1.

You know Paul ? 

Ask him his thoughts on Neon Wolf 

harry fry is basically training in Paul's yard and land 

Paul barber is a proper gent 

34 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

You know Paul ? 

Ask him his thoughts on Neon Wolf 

harry fry is basically training in Paul's yard and land 

Paul barber is a proper gent 

He is a top guy, i will see what other info i can get but all i have been hearing about off my Dad is Ask the Weatherman!

5 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

He is a top guy, i will see what other info i can get but all i have been hearing about off my Dad is Ask the Weatherman!

Seriously tough race but they know a good one that lot 

ben pollock in medbourn near harbough he won the fox hunters on castlemaine for Caroline Bailey once 

little local connection story that ! 

and lubenham near market harbough was the site of the first and original grand national 

i love I've living in this part of the world but we need a trainer round here now 

the history and land is here for it ! 

Going for the 3rd year in a row, what a week, Sevilla home tuesday, Cheltenham Weds and Thurs and drive home Friday to swap some clothes then off to Essex for Wet Spam on the Sat.

@Bert 3 of us are in Club on Ladies day :thumbup: and tatts Thurs not been club on Festival Week before, what's it like?

Speaking of which, I have 1 Club Ticket for Weds, with badge, £80 quid and 1 tatts for Thurs £50 quid if anyone's interested. Can collect from Rearsby or Melton or meet up before Sevilla game if anyone want's to take them off my hands.

Still a little gutted at the number of High quality Horses not running, but it may make for a more interesting few days, although I do love watching the top draw horses, monster up the hill to win by 15 lengths. 

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I know there is no dress code but are suits in Club the done thing?

If it's dry I wear a suit in club or tatts, don't get to wear one other than for weddings/funerals so I use the races as an excuse to wear one. Might go more casual in tatts this year, but I can't carry the farmer look off lol 

1 hour ago, Bayfox said:

Going for the 3rd year in a row, what a week, Sevilla home tuesday, Cheltenham Weds and Thurs and drive home Friday to swap some clothes then off to Essex for Wet Spam on the Sat.

@Bert 3 of us are in Club on Ladies day :thumbup: and tatts Thurs not been club on Festival Week before, what's it like?

Speaking of which, I have 1 Club Ticket for Weds, with badge, £80 quid and 1 tatts for Thurs £50 quid if anyone's interested. Can collect from Rearsby or Melton or meet up before Sevilla game if anyone want's to take them off my hands.

Still a little gutted at the number of High quality Horses not running, but it may make for a more interesting few days, although I do love watching the top draw horses, monster up the hill to win by 15 lengths. 

It's nice in there, especially if you can get on the steps in view of the finish line great views of the course and the races. Obviously very busy but much better than the council stand across the way where people just turn up in track suits. Suits not obligatory but many people do. I'm going shirt blazer and jeans this year I think. Have done suits past few times though as like you it's nice to be smart. 

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I know there is no dress code but are suits in Club the done thing?

Tweed at Cheltenham rather than suits. Except in the Best Mate enclosure where half of them seem to have string for a belt and carrier bags for shoes.

Looking forward to the festival but it has been dampened a bit by the injuries, still annoyed I didn't back Native River at 33's for the Gold Cup just before the Welsh national.

like everyone else can see pros and cons to the lack of a few star names. obviously this week is for the best horses in the world to strut their stuff so it's a shame they'll be missing and we won't be able to stand in awe and appreciate just how good some of them are, but from a punting perspective it adds a bit more spice and interest. 

also played havoc with antepost bets, I've barely got any left now everyone I thought I'd backed at value for the last four months is injured lol 

still can't bloody wait tbf. I'm half skint which is a bit of an issue but who cares it's bloody cheltenham lads. 

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

like everyone else can see pros and cons to the lack of a few star names. obviously this week is for the best horses in the world to strut their stuff so it's a shame they'll be missing and we won't be able to stand in awe and appreciate just how good some of them are, but from a punting perspective it adds a bit more spice and interest. 

also played havoc with antepost bets, I've barely got any left now everyone I thought I'd backed at value for the last four months is injured lol 

still can't bloody wait tbf. I'm half skint which is a bit of an issue but who cares it's bloody cheltenham lads. 

I'm fully skint but it's bloody Cheltenham lads.

Not entirely sure how i'll be able to justify a post-sevilla sesh and Cheltenham.

Archived