Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve Earle

London and back for a night game

I find myself working in London week commencing 3rd April and I'm wondering how I get to finish watching the Sunderland game and get back to London that night? I'll be traveling from St Pancras and the last train back leaves Leicester before 10, probably meaning leaving the game 15 min before the end.

London foxes, any bright ideas?

Driving is pretty much the only option sadly, even if you cut it really fine to leave the Sunderland game to get the train you'd have the crowds to navigate

Can't believe in this day and age they can't schedule a train beyond 10pm, ridiculous really

58 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I find myself working in London week commencing 3rd April and I'm wondering how I get to finish watching the Sunderland game and get back to London that night? I'll be traveling from St Pancras and the last train back leaves Leicester before 10, probably meaning leaving the game 15 min before the end.

Travel in the morning get cheap digs in the centre or stay with a mate.

In the past I have got a cab with four others going back to London working out at £180 odd quid but split between four wasn't too bad considering I had a 6am meeting in London which was worth attending!

Only other thing would be a taxi or train to Rugby and check out the last train on the London Midland line from Birmingham going through to Euston. Check out the Virgin train as well as the London Midland as they both run the same line.

8 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Many thanks CF and SL. Will look at the Rugby option.

My friend and his client are coming up from London for the Sevilla game and also gifting me a ticket (which is incredibly nice) and they are staying in the city centre at a hotel and travelling back in the morning for that reason - had they been driving or getting a cab, I'd have hooked you up.

It is a bit of a disaster tbh. the last train to London leaves too early. You are better of staying in Leicester and leaving early in the morning or driving it.

I don't have a car but when I am coming up for CL games (ie next week) I am better off hiring one and driving than even entertaining the train. Costs me £30 for the car and then I pay for fuel. 

5 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

If you leave sharpish, you can get the 21.53 to st pancras. This is a quick train, the 21.58 takes 1h 40mins. Could book a cab to meet you in Mecca bingo car park, or try and use uber to avoid the need to jog!

I drove to Finchley after the last two weekday night games, I will know nearer the time if I am doing the same for the Sunderland match I might be able to give you a lift back.

Or a cheap travelodge and first train back . 

other than that as mentioned national express and if you do stay over there is a 5 something AM to get you back 

2 hours ago, FOXSE said:

If you leave sharpish, you can get the 21.53 to st pancras. This is a quick train, the 21.58 takes 1h 40mins. Could book a cab to meet you in Mecca bingo car park, or try and use uber to avoid the need to jog!

Thanks - that sounds a plan. So leave on 90 mins and pre-book via Uber is one way, but like the sound of cab sharing - are you aiming for the same train? My only reservation is that I can't afford to miss it! The Rugby options don't look too clever but might work as a last resort.

Thanks v much for the reply! I look forward to your next...

Fell prey to this a few months back (Porto home)- ended up staying in some utter heap for £35 and left at 3:45am to get to my morning meeting lol

Rugby option is interesting. Does it work? Might be worth doing in future.

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 15:00, Steve Earle said:

FOXSE - wondered if we could indeed share a cab back to Station after this game, if you are aiming for the same train?

I am not sure if I am coming to this game, but will let you know if I am.

Archived