Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League gets Kodi piracy court order

The Premier League has secured a court order to help tackle rights-infringing video streams of football matches via so-called Kodi set-top boxes.

The order gives the league the means to have computer servers used to power the streams blocked.

Until now, it could only go after individual video streams which were relatively easy to re-establish at different links.

A spokesman said it could now target pirates in a "precise manner".

"For the first time this will enable the Premier League to disrupt and prevent the illegal streaming of our matches via IPTV, so-called Kodi, boxes," he added.

Football fans are urged instead to get a Sky Sports or BT Sport subscription, or watch games at a venue that pays for access.

'Pirating epidemic'

The Federation Against Copyright Theft (Fact) declared that the use of Kodi software to watch pirated streams was becoming an "epidemic" last September.

Since then, there have been several arrests of people selling set-top boxes pre-installed with both Kodi software and additional third-party add-ons that make it possible to watch copyright-infringing film and TV streams.

According to a recent survey commissioned by the security firm Irdeto, Kodi boxes are particularly prevalent in the UK.

It reported that 11% of Brits that admitted to watching pirated streams in a survey said they did so via a Kodi box.

Doing so is not thought to be illegal.

"Accessing premium paid-for content without a subscription is considered by the industry as unlawful access, although streaming something online, rather than downloading a file, is likely to be exempt from copyright laws," Derbyshire County Council trading standards officers recently said.

What are Kodi boxes?

Kodi is free software, built by volunteers, that is designed to bring videos, music, games and photographs together in one easy-to-use application.

Some shops sell set-top boxes and TV sticks known as Kodi boxes, preloaded with the software.

The developers behind Kodi say their software does not contain any content of its own and is designed to play legally owned media or content "freely available" on the internet.

Image copyrightKODI

Image captionKodi turns compatible devices into a "media centre"

However, the software can be modified with third-party add-ons that provide access to pirated copies of films and TV series, or provide free access to subscription television channels.

"Streaming boxes have steadily increased in popularity in recent years," said Ernesto van der Sar, from the news site Torrentfreak.

"Most use the entirely legal Kodi software, but some are augmented with illegal third-party add-ons.

"Nowadays people often prefer to stream pirated content instead of using traditional torrent sites."

"Football fans are urged instead to get a Sky Sports or BT Sport subscription "

Will they both start showing every Leicester game then? Because if not, why would I? I'm not keen on seeing who Man U and Arsenal play every week. Takes me under a minute to get a HD stream of Leicester games and I'd consider paying if they started providing a service where I could do that. 

Guest seanfox778

Maybe if BT and Sky weren't so greedy and offered reasonable packages to people instead of charging extortionate rates then things would be different. 

Similar story to the music industry a few years ago, they fought piracy time and time again and in the end gave up. itunes and now spotify was set up and it solved the issue.

Instead of fighting the piracy they need to change with the times. Provide a legal platform we can watch the games they show in the USA, we pay a fee per game or per month...

....everybody's appy

12 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

"Football fans are urged instead to get a Sky Sports or BT Sport subscription "

Will they both start showing every Leicester game then? Because if not, why would I? I'm not keen on seeing who Man U and Arsenal play every week. Takes me under a minute to get a HD stream of Leicester games and I'd consider paying if they started providing a service where I could do that. 

Very true. 

You go anywhere in the world and you can watch every premier league game live on tv! 

Sky Sports/ BT are very biased to the teams they show - Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United... boring! The only time you get to watch your team play is basically when you are playing one of these sides! 

Kodi boxes have been around for years, ticket prices continue to inflate and stadiums are still pretty much full at every game. It's a case of FA trying to keep their broadcasting money rather than protecting rights within England. 

As a fan you want to watch all of your teams games, I don't see why you should be denied that if your unable to get a ticket and not live on TV yet someone half way round the world who maybe has little interest in Leicester is able too. 

We're pretty much the only country in the world where you can't watch every game, every week on TV. What do they expect?!?!

As the poster has said above if we did what they do in Europe and sell subscriptions to every 3pm kick off every week, a lot of people would buy it.

In the last two years my parents have lived in Australia and the Netherlands and they've had easier (legal) access to Leicester games than I have.

All this rubbish about it stopping people going to games is completely unfounded, if I can get a ticket i'll go to a game regardless of whether it is on TV, but if I can't then i'd really like to be able to have the option to watch it that i'd happily pay for!

3 minutes ago, EGBFitness said:

Very true. 

You go anywhere in the world and you can watch every premier league game live on tv! 

Sky Sports/ BT are very biased to the teams they show - Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United... boring! The only time you get to watch your team play is basically when you are playing one of these sides! 

Kodi boxes have been around for years, ticket prices continue to inflate and stadiums are still pretty much full at every game. It's a case of FA trying to keep their broadcasting money rather than protecting rights within England. 

As a fan you want to watch all of your teams games, I don't see why you should be denied that if your unable to get a ticket and not live on TV yet someone half way round the world who maybe has little interest in Leicester is able too. 

Sorry I was writing my response and it appears to be exactly what you have put lol 

I have no sympathy for them. 

Id happily pay £500 for a Leicester city season pass to watch all LCFC games on my TV but I can't so people watch them anyway on-line for free streaming.

Like a previous poster said, move with the times and give people what they want - people who want to go to the games always will. They are sitting in a gold mine selling off tiny lumps when they could be printing money the daft gits.

This is all down to the FA with their Sat. 3pm KO rule and the PL. Obviously BT & Sky are going to exploit the situation to get their money back.

But if we want PPV of all matches then the first to people to give way are the FA.

Sky & BT will then need to be convinced that they'll make better profits from PPV than the current set up.

I suspect though that the current set up has football fans subsidising a lot of other sports. 

As others have said, sport needs to catch up to TV, films and music.

I've not downloaded any of the above since Netflix/NowTV/Spotify.

Football needs to wake up and realise people expect to pay less for their entertainment these days and get greater variety in their choices otherwise they'll keep pirating.

Because kodi will just be replaced by the next thing.

11 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I have no sympathy for them. 

Id happily pay £500 for a Leicester city season pass to watch all LCFC games on my TV but I can't so people watch them anyway on-line for free streaming.

Like a previous poster said, move with the times and give people what they want - people who want to go to the games always will. They are sitting in a gold mine selling off tiny lumps when they could be printing money the daft gits.

WOAH Slow down before you **** it up for the rest of us. imagine if murdock saw that. £500 for a year!!! £40 more like

Virtually every country in the world can watch any premier league game at kick off time, its total horse shit that in the UK we as consumers cannot.

I know the argument is based on possible lower attendances but have you tried getting a Leicester city ticket without some level of membership over the last 3 years?!

I know we are an exception but i doubt very much whether a change to broadcasting would affect attendances. 

25 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

said it in another thread, someone like amazon/google will outbid sky/bt soon for the broadcasting rights & access the untapped market of providing legal football streams online.

Really hope that happens :)

5 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Someone needs to write an open letter to Sky,  BT and Virgin Media.... 

No, What people need to do is write to their MPs and continuously give them grief until the law is changed to suit the people. The Government are happy to allow Football be shown all over the world on TV but not in the UK.  This is wrong and needs to be changed. 

The FA won't do it they haven't even carried out the few requests the gov made of them . Now they have MPs pissed off with the FA. So there's no better time to raise the issue. 

Football is the national game and should be available to all Fans especially when the Grounds are full anyway.

Archived