Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

National Trails

1 minute ago, Buce said:

That's interesting.

I'd intended to walk the John Muir Trail as part of the Pacific Crest Trail but couldn't get a permit, so I did the Appalachian Trail instead.

The permit is tricky to obtain because it is allocated on a quota basis and the date range is also significant. I have friends in California and they assisted me in the application process. Failed one year so climbed Half Dome instead.

I know several people that have done the latter - something that would greatly interest me. What a wonderful experience. What was it like? 

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

The permit is tricky to obtain because it is allocated on a quota basis and the date range is also significant. I have friends in California and they assisted me in the application process. Failed one year so climbed Half Dome instead.

I know several people that have done the latter - something that would greatly interest me. What a wonderful experience. What was it like

In truth, I found it a little disappointing as it didn't quite have what I was looking for in a hike. I habitually hike and camp solo because I enjoy the feeling of solitude and self-reliance in the wilderness. I get a buzz from knowing that I'm miles from the nearest human being - it's just me and the wildlife - and you don't really get that on the AT because camping outside of designated camping areas is forbidden. Huts (for want of a better word - they are actually just three-sided shelters) are about six miles apart; six miles is too short for a successful Thru-hike (it needs to be completed before winter hits the northern end) but eighteen is pushing it, so most people settle for double-hutters (ie. twelve miles a day). The consequence of that is that you end up camping with the same people more or less throughout the duration of the hike, and I'm not really a 'people person'. This is compounded by the fact that because of the time constraints already mentioned, every Thru-hiker heading north begins the hike around the same time (well, within a window of three or four weeks anyway) so even when I pulled a triple-hutter to leave behind any particularly irritating hiker, I would find myself in the same situation of moving at the same pace as a set group of people, some of which would inevitably irritate me. I stuck it out out of sheer bloody-mindedness at times, tbh. I enjoyed the latter stages more because by that time 90% of Thru-hikers have dropped out and I occasionally got to camp alone (especially in the so-called 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine where there are fewer access points for day trippers).

I certainly don't regret doing it, and for anyone more gregarious than myself it would be a perfectly good hike, but I'm definitely more suited to the other two Triple Crown hikes.

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

In truth, I found it a little disappointing as it didn't quite have what I was looking for in a hike. I habitually hike and camp solo because I enjoy the feeling of solitude and self-reliance in the wilderness. I get a buzz from knowing that I'm miles from the nearest human being - it's just me and the wildlife - and you don't really get that on the AT because camping outside of designated camping areas is forbidden. Huts (for want of a better word - they are actually just three-sided shelters) are about six miles apart; six miles is too short for a successful Thru-hike (it needs to be completed before winter hits the northern end) but eighteen is pushing it, so most people settle for double-hutters (ie. twelve miles a day). The consequence of that is that you end up camping with the same people more or less throughout the duration of the hike, and I'm not really a 'people person'. This is compounded by the fact that because of the time constraints already mentioned, every Thru-hiker heading north leaves around the same time (well, within a window of three or four weeks anyway) so even when I pulled a triple-hutter to leave behind any particularly irritating hiker, I would find myself in the same situation of moving at the same pace as a set group of people, some of which would inevitably irritate me. I stuck it out out of sheer bloody-mindedness at times, tbh. I enjoyed the latter stages more because by that time 90% of Thru-hikers have dropped out and I occasionally got to camp alone (especially in the so-called 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine where there are fewer access points for day trippers).

I certainly don't regret doing it, and for anyone more gregarious than myself it would be a perfectly good hike, but I'm definitely more suited to the other two Triple Crown hikes.

Name change I think Bucey ....       Lone Wolf !  

images.jpg

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Yes, and you be careful matey ! ...   they say that somewhere there is a bullet with your name on ...

FullSizeRender.jpg

:blink:

And to think I used to like you.. lol

14 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Yes, and you be careful matey ! ...   they say that somewhere there is a bullet with your name on ...

FullSizeRender.jpg

That's not the kind of photo you can just Google.

16 hours ago, Countryfox said:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Bloody hell CF! I'm going to be on best behaviour whenever I pop in The Fox now, I don't want to be upsetting you by accident lol

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

That's not the kind of photo you can just Google.

I should hope not. lol

Just to avoid any unpleasant misunderstandings, though, CF is a friend (at least, I hope so :unsure:).

29 minutes ago, Buce said:

I should hope not. lol

Just to avoid any unpleasant misunderstandings, though, CF is a friend (at least, I hope so :unsure:).

Absolutely Bucey and just to let you know ...    I've rubbed it off and replaced it with Bambi which was on it before ...    :thumbup:

54 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

Bloody hell CF! I'm going to be on best behaviour whenever I pop in The Fox now, I don't want to be upsetting you by accident lol

Just steer clear of the man with the violin case ....      you dirty rat ! ...      :)

5 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Absolutely Bucey and just to let you know ...    I've rubbed it off and replaced it with Bambi which was on it before ...    :thumbup:

Phew! That's a relief. :sweating:

Tell the two guys loitering outside your house that I said to come back.. :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Ill shout out the window and hopefully my voice will carry from Geneva ...    :)

Just don't yodel.

Your voice will carry but it'll end up in someone else's garden..

I walked part of the Pennine Way when I was a teenager (1962) starting off from Edale, where I stayed at the Youth Hostel. It was probably the hardest part of the walk, because Kinder Scout is right outside the back door of the Youth Hostel, and I remember it being a bloody steep climb!

We spent about ten days walking, doing (from memory) 10-15 miles a day, and like most walks, it got easier as time went on. We were lucky with the weather - I think it rained a couple of times but no more. Would love to do it again, but that's not likely.

1 minute ago, LanguedocFox said:

I walked part of the Pennine Way when I was a teenager (1962) starting off from Edale, where I stayed at the Youth Hostel. It was probably the hardest part of the walk, because Kinder Scout is right outside the back door of the Youth Hostel, and I remember it being a bloody steep climb!

We spent about ten days walking, doing (from memory) 10-15 miles a day, and like most walks, it got easier as time went on. We were lucky with the weather - I think it rained a couple of times but no more. Would love to do it again, but that's not likely.

It must have been a lot tougher back then - no gortex, no fleece, heavy leather boots..

Can you believe that some of the top hikers now can have a base pack weight (that's everything excepting food and water) of as little as 5kg? I bet your rucksack weighed that on its own.

10 minutes ago, Buce said:

It must have been a lot tougher back then - no gortex, no fleece, heavy leather boots..

Can you believe that some of the top hikers now can have a base pack weight (that's everything excepting food and water) of as little as 5kg? I bet your rucksack weighed that on its own.

You're probably right. I remember that I bought my rucksack from an army surplus shop in Loughborough, and it was the genuine article. It was made of thick canvas, and came complete with a rubberised poncho/cape and matching hat, a plastic-covered map holder and a waterproof food-pack. I also carried yellow waterproof cycling trousers and jacket from Halfords, and never wore the bloody things.

From memory, I only took two spare shirts, one pair of shorts, two spare pairs of underpants, two pairs of socks - and none of them got washed on the trip. I travelled light, but probably stank to high heaven. Then again, most people did back then.

Archived