Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mahrez555

Shakespeare new manager

8 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Should have brought Amartay on and parked the bus. Musa on was like having 10 men and kasper heroics kept us in it.

Think that will have been clear to see.

The subs he made were to try and give the team some attacking impetuous. To give the West Ham players something to think about so they wouldn't bomb on all the time.

On 13/03/2017 at 19:34, brucey said:

So far only heard of Coral refusing. Skybet, Paddy, Will Hill have all paid out.

Tbh I think Coral can point to their T&Cs (or lack thereof) regarding the manager market. The other more reputable bookies have a page with their T&Cs specifying the interim manager 10 games clause.

I think @RoyFox had his bet with Coral too.

For what it's worth I think Shakey's getting the job post summer anyway.

Coral paid in the end, power of social media!

On 19/03/2017 at 13:37, Chico1958 said:

I'll reserve my opinion until we are safe.

TBF so far so good but I still think the owners will go big at the end of the season,

Wenger anyone   :whistle:

How "big" have we become these last few seasons with Shaky involved. And with the four games of his management we'v reached the quarter-finals of the Champions League and are looking as eagerly towards the middle of the Premiership as we are anxiously at the bottom. So who is this "big name" you anticipate who our current team will welcome with open arms to replace the guy they so clearly trust and work for so hard? 

1 minute ago, Thracian said:

How "big" have we become these last few seasons with Shaky involved. And with the four games of his management we'v reached the quarter-finals of the Champions League and are looking as eagerly towards the middle of the Premiership as we are anxiously at the bottom. So who is this "big name" you anticipate who our current team will welcome with open arms to replace the guy they so clearly trust and work for so hard? 

Good point well made.

Also, very few so called big name managers started out that way. Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger, Klopp all had to earn their reputation with managerial success. Many who begin management as a big name often lose their managerial reputation e.g. Zola and Roy Keane. 

I don't see why Shakespeare shouldn't be given the opportunity to become a successful manager at Leicester City and earn his reputation with us.

I remember an interview with Shakey that was put on here at the back end of last season, and I thought then that he represented everything I believed in in football. I hoped that he was being groomed to take over from Ranieri, but obviously everything moved quite quickly in that regard. Really rate the guy, I can't think of anyone out there who i'd rather have in charge

Guest CityFan 06

I remember a few years ago people were mentioning then how they'd like Shakespeare to be our future manager some day. Well, so far he's taken the chance and proven himself. 

TBF so far so good but I still think the owners will go big at the end of the season,

How "big" have we become these last few seasons with Shaky involved.

After  the four games of his management we've achieved one of the greatest victories in our history to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League and are looking as eagerly towards the middle of the Premiership as we are anxiously at the bottom having previously been among the bottom three.

So who is this "big name" you somehow expect our current team to welcome with open arms to replace the guy they so clearly trust and work so hard for?

And how much have we achieved and how "big" have we become since Shaky's involvement here?,

Bigger than in all my 60 years of supporting, for sure, and with every chance of more to come without any necessity for more of the kind of upheaval that so stalled us for half of this season and which Shaky alone might have rectified in the timescale.

No Shaky's not been the only contributor. There's been a lot of other input particularly from Pearson, Walsh and the players.

But all the money in the world couldn't have mended what Shaky might have mended in the timescale available. 

Yet you and others still talk about someone "big" taking over.

I didn't agree with very much of the rubbish the media wrote about Ranieri's dismissal but, if we finally avoid relegation, I'd sure agree with them calling us "ungrateful" or even worse if we replaced Shaky as the man in charge.

We need to be chasing trophies next season not messing round with self-inflicted "internals".        

23 minutes ago, Thracian said:

After  the four games of his management we've achieved one of the greatest victories in our history to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League and are looking as eagerly towards the middle of the Premiership as we are anxiously at the bottom having previously been among the bottom three.

So who is this "big name" you somehow expect our current team to welcome with open arms to replace the guy they so clearly trust and work so hard for?

And how much have we achieved and how "big" have we become since Shaky's involvement here?,

Bigger than in all my 60 years of supporting, for sure, and with every chance of more to come without any necessity for more of the kind of upheaval that so stalled us for half of this season and which Shaky alone might have rectified in the timescale.

No Shaky's not been the only contributor. There's been a lot of other input particularly from Pearson, Walsh and the players.

But all the money in the world couldn't have mended what Shaky might have mended in the timescale available. 

I didn't agree with very much of the rubbish the media wrote about Ranieri's dismissal but, if we finally avoid relegation, I'd sure agree with them calling us "ungrateful" or even worse if we replaced Shaky as the man in charge.

We need to be chasing trophies next season not messing round with self-inflicted "internals".        

Yes, aim for 6th in the premier league and the fa cup.

15 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Yes, aim for 6th in the premier league and the fa cup.

Perfectly possible But I see no reason we shouldn't contest everything we're involved with if we tailor our signings to the fundamentals of our team.    

5 hours ago, Thracian said:

My mere 48 years are 12 years short of your 60 years but it doesn't really matter.

But I refer you back to what I wrote

It's what I think might happen......................... Not what will actually happen

The Wenger anyone was a joke hence the ................ :whistle:

Shakespeare has reinforced the philosophy of the pressing high intensity game that has been successful in the past.

4-4-2 which I recollect was a Ranieri formation, as was Fuchs and Simpson as Full Backs

When you get a seven or five day break between games you may be able to keep it up but not with two or three days rest

So the questions are:

• Do we have a Plan B
  • Do we have enough on the bench to support the "First 11"
  • What happens if we get injuries or suspensions
  • Do you think Shakespeare can take us to the next level ( After all we are the current English Champions )
  • Who will we bring in to support Shakespeare
  • Will they upset the "Players"
  • What happens when Shakespeare has to sit down and tell his mates Huth, Morgan, Simpson, Fuchs, Vardy they are to old and no longer required.

Hence the reason I started the "I reserve my opinion until we are safe" 

Time will tell and as a supporter for 48 years I hope like all of us we avoid relegation and maintain our status in the Premiership for many years to come. :thumbup:   

Big Teams look for Big Names as History Shows....... It's the Next Level  :fc:

a) We don't play 4-4-2 as I've explained  elsewhere. We play 4/4.5/1.5 by using Shinji. This has specifically given us chance to return to our high-pressing strategy which was demonstrably more suited to our personnel than any permutation of 4-4-2.

b) I don't see three-day breaks as being impossible to cope with on a match-by-match basis but accept there will doubtless be knocks and a need to make changes and, presumably, whatever forces any change will have an impact on our tactics and whatever Shaky decides will work best.

c) Plan B? I'd be as surprised if there isn't one as I'd be if Shaky announced what it is. Shaky may so prefer high pressing that he uses Vardy for the job when Shinji fades - it seems the only like-for-like alternative to me. Or he may formulate some other system. Coaches can and do but it's not for me to second guess his intentions.

d) Enough on the bench? Well, we're not going to get any more at this stage of the season so we'll have to make do. Are Ulloa and Mendy in the mix or not? I honestly don't know. If they are it increases options although King and Amartey are probably sounder choices in central midfield - the former if we're chasing a goal and Amartey if we need an extra centre-back or deep midfielder. Defensively we're a bit iffy and up front we're a  bit short.

e) Suspensions won't be popular but injuries might prove awkward. Again, there's nothing anyone can do about that at this time.except make adjustments with what we've got.    

f) You don't define the mythical "next level". Shaky's already coped admirably at Champions League qualifying level  having been involved throughout this season's campaign including the turning over of a deficit against Sevilla. I wouldn't have trusted Hodgson to do that. If you're saying Champions League every season is our new level I don't see anyone guaranteeing that in the short term but see no reason why Shaky shouldn't manage over time.

g) I don't see why Shaky shouldn't get whatever support he asks for rather than "support" that's forced on him. But there may be room for discussion on the subject and people who would be mutually acceptable to Shaky and our owners and even then, it would depend on availability.

h) There's no point bringing in (or leaving in) anyone who'd upset/disrupt the camp. The last thing we need is a repeat of this season. Profess needs to be made by evolution not revolution. Our team has shown beyond any question that it can function successfully. New personnel need to fit in and be fitted in. It helps if they show themselves worthy of a place for a start and that means a proper pre-season rather than the mess we had last season.

i) Telling players bad news: He'll do it no problem. Every manager faces it some time or another and it's never easy. The players you highlight aren't kids but there's a right way to  deal with these things and a wrong way. Being honest and straightforward is a start. Giving guys a bit of notice might help too. Or discussing any new role you might have in mind. Not that I think the guys you mention are write-offs at all. And certainly not all at once.

j) I'm not bothered about history. Just good signing for our very good club. I don't care if they cost £1 or millions. I just want any signing to either add to our general strength or to be demonstrably better than  what we already have. Last seasons signings were so disappointing in the main it's hard to believe they were properly researched or assessed in terms of what they could give to our team. Next season needs to be better but it's quality and suitability that count - not the name, Kante didn't have a name before he arrived here and neither did Vardy, Mahrez or Kasper.                 .       .

27 minutes ago, Thracian said:

a) We don't play 4-4-2 as I've explained  elsewhere. We play 4/4.5/1.5 by using Shinji. This has specifically given us chance to return to our high-pressing strategy which was demonstrably more suited to our personnel than any permutation of 4-4-2.

b) I don't see three-day breaks as being impossible to cope with on a match-by-match basis but accept there will doubtless be knocks and a need to make changes and, presumably, whatever forces any change will have an impact on our tactics and whatever Shaky decides will work best.

c) Plan B? I'd be as surprised if there isn't one as I'd be if Shaky announced what it is. Shaky may so prefer high pressing that he uses Vardy for the job when Shinji fades - it seems the only like-for-like alternative to me. Or he may formulate some other system. Coaches can and do but it's not for me to second guess his intentions.

d) Enough on the bench? Well, we're not going to get any more at this stage of the season so we'll have to make do. Are Ulloa and Mendy in the mix or not? I honestly don't know. If they are it increases options although King and Amartey are probably sounder choices in central midfield - the former if we're chasing a goal and Amartey if we need an extra centre-back or deep midfielder. Defensively we're a bit iffy and up front we're a  bit short.

e) Suspensions won't be popular but injuries might prove awkward. Again, there's nothing anyone can do about that at this time.except make adjustments with what we've got.    

f) You don't define the mythical "next level". Shaky's already coped admirably at Champions League qualifying level  having been involved throughout this season's campaign including the turning over of a deficit against Sevilla. I wouldn't have trusted Hodgson to do that. If you're saying Champions League every season is our new level I don't see anyone guaranteeing that in the short term but see no reason why Shaky shouldn't manage over time.

g) I don't see why Shaky shouldn't get whatever support he asks for rather than "support" that's forced on him. But there may be room for discussion on the subject and people who would be mutually acceptable to Shaky and our owners and even then, it would depend on availability.

h) There's no point bringing in (or leaving in) anyone who'd upset/disrupt the camp. The last thing we need is a repeat of this season. Profess needs to be made by evolution not revolution. Our team has shown beyond any question that it can function successfully. New personnel need to fit in and be fitted in. It helps if they show themselves worthy of a place for a start and that means a proper pre-season rather than the mess we had last season.

i) Telling players bad news: He'll do it no problem. Every manager faces it some time or another and it's never easy. The players you highlight aren't kids but there's a right way to  deal with these things and a wrong way. Being honest and straightforward is a start. Giving guys a bit of notice might help too. Or discussing any new role you might have in mind. Not that I think the guys you mention are write-offs at all. And certainly not all at once.

j) I'm not bothered about history. Just good signing for our very good club. I don't care if they cost £1 or millions. I just want any signing to either add to our general strength or to be demonstrably better than  what we already have. Last seasons signings were so disappointing in the main it's hard to believe they were properly researched or assessed in terms of what they could give to our team. Next season needs to be better but it's quality and suitability that count - not the name, Kante didn't have a name before he arrived here and neither did Vardy, Mahrez or Kasper.                 .       .

Your'er in great form tonight Thracian with some simple logic but very intelligent posts and echoing many of my own sentiments. Equally I don't agree with all the talk of our best players leaving, When we should be encouraging the club to add more quality to enhance what we have. They don't have to be names either just quality.

I too really thought we could have won the FA cup this year. Our style of smash and grab suits us and is perfect for a good cup run with a little luck.

I'll be really interested to see who Shaky brings in as I think he's more pragmatic and will sign players to do a job rather than fill the Squad which is what Cr done.

47 minutes ago, Thracian said:

:surrender:................................:beer:  Time for a beer........... :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

How Craig Shakespeare has turned around Leicester's fortunes with five straight wins… and why he might even get manager's job full time 

Craig Shakespeare has won his first five games since taking over at Leicester

The former No 2 has excelled since replacing fan favourite Claudio Ranieri

With the Italian controversially axed, Shakespeare has calmed the dressing room

Now Shakespeare's feet are under the table, he looks like a long-term candidate

By Laurie Whitwell for MailOnline

PUBLISHED: 12:52, 4 April 2017 | UPDATED: 12:52, 4 April 2017

A microphone problem delayed the start of Craig Shakespeare's press conference to preview Tuesday night's visit of Sunderland, and as efforts were made to fix the fault a hush came over the room.

A late arrival gave Shakespeare chance to break the silence. 'Right, thanks everybody, see you tomorrow,' he said rising from his chair and giving impression the session had finished.

The gentle joke was warmly greeted, and while it gave indication of Shakespeare's character it also illustrated a man now totally at ease with his circumstances.

Craig Shakespeare has distanced himself from any notion that he is a 'special' manager

Shakespeare has stepped seamlessly into the manager's role since Claudio Ranieri's sacking 

Wilfred Ndidi is hugged by Jamie Vardy in celebration after scoring the opener against Stoke

Having been required to straight bat a number of questions in the immediate aftermath of his controversial takeover from Claudio Ranieri, he has grown into the role and is now playing a few expansive shots.

Besides, what is an extra five minutes to sort the sound when this 53-year-old former assistant has waited an awful lot longer for an opportunity to show what he can do as a No 1?

So far, he could not have done any better. In five games in charge of Leicester, Shakespeare holds a 100 per cent record and in the space of six weeks has utterly transformed his club's prospects.

Most would back Leicester to make it six consecutive victories in all competitions by beating Sunderland, who visit the King Power Stadium with David Moyes under serious scrutiny. In doing so Shakespeare would take last season's champions up to ninth place if Stoke lose at Burnley and Watford fail to beat West Brom.

Shakespeare has a 100 per cent record and has utterly transformed his club's prospects

SHAKESPEARE'S PERFECT RECORD AND WHAT IS TO COME

Results 

3-1 win vs Liverpool (February 27)

3-1 win vs Hull (March 4)

2-0 win vs Sevilla (March 14)

3-2 win vs West Ham (March 18)

2-0 win vs Stoke (April 1) 

Next five fixtures 

Leicester vs Sunderland (April 4)

Everton vs Leicester (April 9)

Atletico Madrid vs Leicester (April 12)

Crystal Palace vs Leicester (April 15) 

Leicester vs Atletico Madrid (April 18) 

That would be a remarkable rise given Leicester were in the relegation zone when he took the reins for his first game against Liverpool on February 27. That rousing 3-1 victory was followed by similar performances against Hull (3-1), Sevilla (2-0), West Ham (3-2), and Stoke (2-0).

Leicester have scored at least once in each opening half, twice in each encounter overall, and only trailed for a total of only 13 minutes (when Sam Clucas put Hull in front agains the run of play).

'The Lucky One,' Shakespeare called himself when asked to apply a nickname variant to Jose Mourinho's famous self-branding. He was remembering Kasper Schmeichel's saves against West Ham.

Kasper Schmeichel has been a giant in recent weeks, making some vital saves at crucial times

Leicester's owners will happily take that having rolled the dice on Ranieri – they could be seen enthusiastically hugging Shakespeare in the corridors of the King Power Stadium on Saturday evening – but even Stan Lee would accept there is much more to this than supposed good fortune.

Clearly, Shakespeare has fine tools with which to work. These are players capable of wondrous feats individually and collectively, having built deep understanding over time that enables them to unite to glorious effect.

But that was absent in the final throws of Ranieri's reign, the Italian clouding the essence of his team in a failed bid to arrest the slide. For the players, his tactical changes grew unpredictable and the instructions ran contrary to where natural strengths lay. Shakespeare, whose robust opinion was always courted by Nigel Pearson, gradually saw his voice carry less weight in the maelstrom.

The owners backed Ranieri publicly, to get a response from the players, but realised when Swansea dismissed Leicester so easily in the next game a change was inevitable if searching for survival. 

The owners validation grows on the decision to sack Ranieri as Leicester close in on safety

Taking Ranieri out of the equation, however distasteful to the outside world, eased the valve on the inside and Shakespeare smoothed the process further by reverting to what these players know well.

Having been at the club for eight of the past nine years and observed the arrival of every squad member, Shakespeare has their trust and has been able to communicate ideas succinctly. The team performed against Liverpool as if to prove a point, their confidence then soared, and the ball has kept rolling.

Now there is a belief that maintaing the winning sequence as long as possible is a motivating factor in the same way as was helping Jamie Vardy break Ruud Van Nistelrooy's record in the early part of last season.

Jamie Vardy, pictured celebrating his goal in Leicester's victory over Stoke, is back to his best

Some of the football has been on par with that from the title-winning campaign. Against Stoke, Leicester had 10 shots on target, their most in a Premier League game since 2003-04, and the intensity has returned, partly because these players want Shakespeare to succeed but also because the system fully enables it. Vardy is back to his best told to press high and Riyad Mahrez is drastically more engaged.

The trip to Dubai before hosting Sevilla soothed any discord off the pitch. 'It was more of a club idea,' said Shakespeare. 'We had meals together, socialised together, trained together. It was very good for us.' 

Ably assisted by long-term friends in head physio Dave Rennie, coach Mike Stowell, and head of fitness Matt Reeves, Shakespeare employs a collegiate approach. Against Stoke, Rennie and Reeves offered advice at times, while Stowell could be seen barking orders at a set piece.

But Shakespeare's decisions are final, including his so far astute call to reintegrate Yohan Benalouane, who had been left out of the Premier League squad entirely for the first half of the season. Benalouane has leapfrogged Marcin Wasilewski and Daniel Amartey to prove a promising deputy to injured captain Wes Morgan.

As Leicester close in on safety, validation grows on the decision to sack Ranieri by Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha. Should Leicester finish inside the top ten, as now seems plausible, the season will be judged a success no matter what happens in the Champions League quarter-final against Atletico Madrid. 

A place in the upper half of the Premier League was the projected ambition by year three when promotion was gained in 2014, even accounting for the miracle of last season.

Achieve that and Shakespeare could even get the job on a basis that extends beyond his current June 30 cut-off date.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4378748/How-Craig-Shakespeare-turned-Leicester.html#ixzz4dHuXTauJ 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Archived