Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Retro Football Boss

Well well well, this looks interesting.

A Football Manager games set in any year you choose complete with accurate teams, stadiums, competitions and financial modelling from that time.

Currently in development on Steam. £ 8.99. Might take a punt - anyone else played it?

1 minute ago, TiffToff88 said:

Sounds very interesting. May have to start the game in 1884...

EDIT: Just googled the game and it seems the earliest start year is 1888.

That was the first season of the football league I think? 

yes it probably was. I was hoping to be able to play the pre-league games. Weren't leicester fosse in a small local league when they formed?

Also, the game appears to already be available. Will you be getting it on early access or wait for the full completed version?

9 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

yes it probably was. I was hoping to be able to play the pre-league games. Weren't leicester fosse in a small local league when they formed?

Also, the game appears to already be available. Will you be getting it on early access or wait for the full completed version?

I might take a punt. It's only £9 so if it sucks then it's not the end of the world. 

Decided to take a punt. Had a fiver in my Steam account anyway!

Started with Leicester in the 1980-81 Season. Seems to be quite a lot of optimisation to be done on it, but the bones are there.

However, my opening game was a friendly on Saturday 19th July 1980, losing heavily at Lowestoft Town....

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Decided to take a punt. Had a fiver in my Steam account anyway!

Started with Leicester in the 1980-81 Season. Seems to be quite a lot of optimisation to be done on it, but the bones are there.

However, my opening game was a friendly on Saturday 19th July 1980, losing heavily at Lowestoft Town....

lol

This shows some real promise. It is certainly not hugely in depth in terms of gameplay - more like Championship Manager 93 era sort of game - buy/sell players, pick team and watch text commentary of the games, but there is a huge amount to like about it.

Transfers are modelled as they happened in real life (unless you intervene), so for example, Gary Lineker will leave Leicester for Everton in 1985. There is an option to turn these real world events off though. My scout in the 1980 game told me they'd spotted Alan Smith at Alvechurch (he turned me down and signed for some team in Holland instead though!)

Old fashioned competitions are here (Anglo Scottish Cup, Cup Winners Cup etc) and I noticed a pre season friendly with the mighty Leeds visiting Enderby Town.

I got £24,000 in TV revenue for the season plus a similar amount from the Football Pools. 

Very nostalgic to see all the old players and playing at grounds like Ayesome Park and Maine Road.

It has crashed once so far though, and the loading times are a bit bothersome but the developer says he is working on this.

21 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

You can play as Leicester Fosse. I've been messing around with different starts and loaded up a game commencing in 1900-01. Leicester Fosse were in Division Two then so are selectable.

Archived