Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Coventry City... Doomed?

I know some Leicester supporters would probably love it, but it's a very real possibility that one of the most senior clubs in the football league will be relegated and could go out of business.

I could be wrong but weren't Cov the longest serving club in the top flight, First Division/Premier League ?

It seems so sad that such an historic club that won the FA cup and were a stalwart of first division football are facing such a situation.

Mental when you look at our/their trajectories since we were both milling around in the championship around 09/10.

Feel sorry for the loyal fans they do have who are still going, watching them topple down the leagues.

I remember when we were in administration and on the brink we played them,

Birch was on the pitch at half time making some sort of speech and their fans

were taking the piss he turned to them and said something like " one day it might

be you". How prophetic. I have no sympathy for their plight.

8 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Incredible to think that it's only five years ago that we were in the same league.

The atmosphere between our fans and theirs inside and outside the ground during these fixtures together wasn't for the feint-hearted at times.. lol

Going down to an 'easier' league may not be viable considering a few other teams that were in the same league that season - Blackpool, Doncaster and Portsmouth (the latter team in particular) - have experienced the challenges of League 2 and are hardly storming that league currently(apart from Doncaster of course).

Selling may well have to be the only choice if the finance-side ultimately requires that. The club's academy, in the past, was seen as a decent well-run one and that could give some of their more highly-rated academy players a chance to stake their claim in starting their professional career - though not sure whether that side of it has been largely affected by the club's current troubles.

Ever since SISU were involved with the club, the club's fate gradually dwindled, and it may take quite a few seasons to resurrect positive building blocks and get the engine of fan confidence running again.

I don't feel sorry for them one bit, but it is a disgrace what's been allowed to happen to them. The FA & Football League need more powers to oust owners who's actions are to the detriment of the club.

The Oystons at Blackpool are the same, you can only assume these people are purposefully destroying these clubs.

They probably need to go into administration to get SISU out. If it were to happen this season, it'd be much less damaging as they're essentially resigned to League Two football next season anyway.

Thereafter, a fans' consortium, similar to that at Portsmouth, might do them the world of good and may even see the attendances rise again to make playing at the Ricoh viable, something that cannot be said at the moment. As things stand, they're playing in what has become a rugby stadium built for 32,000 with a four figure average attendance. It almost smacks of Darlington as things stand, and we all know how that ended.

The other option that was being discussed was moving to the Butts Park rugby ground and redeveloping it on three sides. A 15,000 capacity ground closer to the city centre may actually be the best option for them if they are to rebuild, because the situation as things stand may see the club completely beyond redemption within five years.

It makes you realise how lucky we've been over the last 15 years when you look at Cov. Relegated around the same time as us, built a new stadium not long after us, changed hands a couple of times. This is exactly the sort of thing we all feared when Mandaric and especially the Thais came in. As it happens we were utterly blessed with the Thais and have become the Kings of England. What's been done to Coventry is utterly shameful and it's the fans who are suffering so I can sympathise with them on that.

They need to get SISU out as soon as possible and the way to do that is probably administration. Whatever the punishment may be they're going to have to start from scratch anyway.

44 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Obviously SISU have ruined them but The Ricoh Arena hasn't helped either.

Agree yeah. Should have stayed at Highfield Road. It was a  proper ground too.  They should have spent money making it better.

They've taken so many shortcuts and it's caught up with them. Not the fans fault and I do sympathies, it's horrible watching your club erode. Whilst we have clubs falling to pieces there are as many success stories of clubs rising from the ashes, us, Bournemouth, Hull have all been through similar and come back stronger than ever. The problem with Cov is they have no assets or value for a selling point, they desperately need a fan takeover. Best of luck to them.

I work actually down the road from the Ricoh and one thing I noticed around that area not one single person supports the local team, it's the typical usual suspects. It boils down to the fact within the last twenty or so years there's nothing for Cov fans to cheer about. Even this JPT final... yeah they've sold 41,000 tickets but there's alot of protesting planned.

14 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The atmosphere between our fans and theirs inside and outside the ground during these fixtures together wasn't for the feint-hearted at times.. lol

Going down to an 'easier' league may not be viable considering a few other teams that were in the same league that season - Blackpool, Doncaster and Portsmouth (the latter team in particular) - have experienced the challenges of League 2 and are hardly storming that league currently(apart from Doncaster of course).

Selling may well have to be the only choice if the finance-side ultimately requires that. The club's academy, in the past, was seen as a decent well-run one and that could give some of their more highly-rated academy players a chance to stake their claim in starting their professional career - though not sure whether that side of it has been largely affected by the club's current troubles.

Ever since SISU were involved with the club, the club's fate gradually dwindled, and it may take quite a few seasons to resurrect positive building blocks and get the engine of fan confidence running again.

They've dwindled ever since they sold highfield road. I think every club struggles when they move grounds  for some reason.

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

They've dwindled ever since they sold highfield road. I think every club struggles when they move grounds  for some reason.

Don't think we did promotion in our first season. ;) But I see your point, sometimes I feel fans can cause problems when moving ground, some sulk about moving and it affects atmopshere.

8 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Can see them struggling next year as well- the atmosphere around the club is toxic.

There's a video doing the rounds on Twitter of a Cov fan having to wear a Leicester shirt and blue wig to a game for his stag lol

lol

Used to absolutely love Highfield Road as an away day, wasn't the biggest but some serious atmosphere for our fixture and a real genuine dislike for each other led to some more than interesting times if seated down near the corner flag.

Archived