Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Coventry City... Doomed?

21 hours ago, Parafox said:

I know some Leicester supporters would probably love it, but it's a very real possibility that one of the most senior clubs in the football league will be relegated and could go out of business.

I could be wrong but weren't Cov the longest serving club in the top flight, First Division/Premier League ?

It seems so sad that such an historic club that won the FA cup and were a stalwart of first division football are facing such a situation.

when they were relegated from the top flight only Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool had been their longer. However I believe that for a third of that time, their survival had gone to the last match of the season.

But great sympathy to Cov - it could have happened to us

We are doomed, I'm afraid.

Attendances will drop to below 5000 next year with the number boycotting and/or walking away. I for one won't be renewing my season ticket for the first time at the Ricoh. At the end of next season our contract at the stadium is up leaving us all but homeless. I am confident that the club will drop to non-league in the next few seasons. 

For most, the trip to Wembley in two weeks is the final game they will ever go to, which is sad because one thing it will show is the potential. 45,000 going to Wembley is a nothing competition in the worst season in the clubs history tells a lot.

I look at Leicester and admire the achievements. The same with Southampton and Stoke. Clubs which historically are around the same size of Coventry progressing on and off the pitch. The Ricoh should have had the same effect that a new stadium did for you, Derby, Southampton, Hull and a number of others, but it didn't. We built the new ground but failed in a bid to get to the promise land of the Premier League. As a result the problems accumulated and crowds dwindled. Had we been promoted in the first few years at the ground the fanbase would have developed but the opposite happened which is why towards the end of the days in the Championship we dropped well below 20,000.

Often people look at fans of Charlton, Portsmouth and Blackpool as those who have had it the worst. No chance, Coventry fans have had it worse than any. Unlike the clubs mentioned, Coventry have been in decline for over 15 years. Add to that 30 years without any success and the fact the club hasn't finished in the top 6 of ANY division in near 50 years is appalling.

Anyway, good luck in Madrid, I will be cheering you lot on as I do with any English side abroad. It is quite funny seeing Kasper Schmeichel producing world class performances in the Champions League when he conceded 4 howlers on the day we lost 4-1 to Charlton and you guys were relegated to League 1. How things can change in less than 10 years... 

Guest MattP
On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 20:48, Spiritwalker said:

I remember when we were in administration and on the brink we played them,

Birch was on the pitch at half time making some sort of speech and their fans

were taking the piss he turned to them and said something like " one day it might

be you". How prophetic. I have no sympathy for their plight.

I remember it, they were revelling in it and signing songs about us going bust.

I feel for the genuine supporters, the ones who laughed at us deserved what they got.

It's unreal to think they haven't finished in the top 6 of any division for 30 years.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

I remember it, they were revelling in it and signing songs about us going bust.

I feel for the genuine supporters, the ones who laughed at us deserved what they got.

It's unreal to think they haven't finished in the top 6 of any division for 30 years.

47, I believe.

15 hours ago, block15ccfc said:

Attendances will drop to below 5000 next year with the number boycotting and/or walking away. I for one won't be renewing my season ticket for the first time at the Ricoh. At the end of next season our contract at the stadium is up leaving us all but homeless. I am confident that the club will drop to non-league in the next few seasons. 

For most, the trip to Wembley in two weeks is the final game they will ever go to, which is sad because one thing it will show is the potential. 45,000 going to Wembley is a nothing competition in the worst season in the clubs history tells a lot.

I look at Leicester and admire the achievements. The same with Southampton and Stoke. Clubs which historically are around the same size of Coventry progressing on and off the pitch. The Ricoh should have had the same effect that a new stadium did for you, Derby, Southampton, Hull and a number of others, but it didn't. We built the new ground but failed in a bid to get to the promise land of the Premier League. As a result the problems accumulated and crowds dwindled. Had we been promoted in the first few years at the ground the fanbase would have developed but the opposite happened which is why towards the end of the days in the Championship we dropped well below 20,000.

Often people look at fans of Charlton, Portsmouth and Blackpool as those who have had it the worst. No chance, Coventry fans have had it worse than any. Unlike the clubs mentioned, Coventry have been in decline for over 15 years. Add to that 30 years without any success and the fact the club hasn't finished in the top 6 of ANY division in near 50 years is appalling.

Anyway, good luck in Madrid, I will be cheering you lot on as I do with any English side abroad. It is quite funny seeing Kasper Schmeichel producing world class performances in the Champions League when he conceded 4 howlers on the day we lost 4-1 to Charlton and you guys were relegated to League 1. How things can change in less than 10 years... 

Cheers and good luck.. Sad to see any club in the mess you're in. Not looking any better from the outside. So many big clubs around that level too. 

How much do you miss Highfield Road? I'm sure if you were in this state but playing at Highfield Road still people would still go? At least it was sort of in the City.

I thought that when they were around the top of League One not long ago, albeit temporary, things would slowly change for the better for them.

But the fans' discontent with the club's owners has been going on for top long, that they probably didn't even think they were doing well at the time.

The potential League Two clash of Coventry v Portsmouth will be a reference that incompetent ownership can impact negatively on the club overtime and not improve anything on or off the field.

It is crazy that they haven't finished top 6 in ANY division for such a long time. I genuinely feel for their real supporters and it is symptom of the way in which football is run these days. Whatever anyone says, a club of their size shouldn't be down there and I personally love the M69 derby.

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 22:40, block15ccfc said:

45,000 for a day at Wembley does not show potential. It may be a crap competition but it's still an occasion that is a massive rarity for you guys, a nice novelty. Why wouldn't you want to go to Wembley?

all turned up for the first game back at the Ricoh and then conveniently disappeared for ages. Why would you boycott every game but that one?

Face it, whilst you've been criminally mismanaged you're a pretty small club playing in a stadium far too big for you. To claim you're a similar sized club to us or Southampton is laughable.

I seem to remember us going down to league one (which you didn't until 2012, when your crowds were already pretty pathetic considering your population) and spending similarly shit years at the bottom end of the Championship, and our crowds still didn't drop below 20,000.

Look, I get you've had it shit, but you're not going to get any sympathy if you try to big your fanbase up when it's been absolutely crap for years and compare yourself to us, which is pretty disrespectful.

On 20/03/2017 at 14:27, ed_phelan said:

It is crazy that they haven't finished top 6 in ANY division for such a long time. I genuinely feel for their real supporters and it is symptom of the way in which football is run these days. Whatever anyone says, a club of their size shouldn't be down there and I personally love the M69 derby.

Have they ever finished in the top half of any divisions on in the last 48 years? Would be surprised. 

5 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

45,000 for a day at Wembley does not show potential. It may be a crap competition but it's still an occasion that is a massive rarity for you guys, a nice novelty. Why wouldn't you want to go to Wembley?

all turned up for the first game back at the Ricoh and then conveniently disappeared for ages. Why would you boycott every game but that one?

Face it, whilst you've been criminally mismanaged you're a pretty small club playing in a stadium far too big for you. To claim you're a similar sized club to us or Southampton is laughable.

I seem to remember us going down to league one (which you didn't until 2012, when your crowds were already pretty pathetic considering your population) and spending similarly shit years at the bottom end of the Championship, and our crowds still didn't drop below 20,000.

Look, I get you've had it shit, but you're not going to get any sympathy if you try to big your fanbase up when it's been absolutely crap for years and compare yourself to us, which is pretty disrespectful.

Interesting post...

Of course 45,000 going to Wembley for a nothing competition shows potential. You don't spend 60 quid on a Wembley ticket to go and watch Coventry play Oxford United if you don't have any care for the club. 

In terms of a boycott, I don't know anyone who has boycotted since Sixfields who is going to Wembley. There are many still staying away.

Coventry and Leicester WERE similar sized clubs up until 10 years ago. For starters the cities are pretty much the same size. We have played in very similar sized stadiums. You have historically averaged slightly higher attendances but we have a higher biggest ever season average crowd. We have won the FA Cup, you have won league cups. Obviously it means naff all, especially now.

I'm not trying to get sympathy and I'm not trying to big the fan base up.  

8 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

What is the relationship between Cov fans and Wasps? Have any fans actually welcomed them despite already having a Rugby club?

Some have become 'loyal' Wasps supporters and others, like myself, despise them. Their crowds have been brilliant.

On 20/03/2017 at 13:55, Fox92 said:

Cheers and good luck.. Sad to see any club in the mess you're in. Not looking any better from the outside. So many big clubs around that level too. 

How much do you miss Highfield Road? I'm sure if you were in this state but playing at Highfield Road still people would still go? At least it was sort of in the City.

I and the rest of the Coventry fans miss Highfield Road incredibly. The Ricoh Arena has been a big part in our downfall. 

Completely agree that the Ricoh Arena has been a major factor in Coventry's downfall.

It should never have been built really, especially considering it was far larger than the Highfield Road ground it replaced and some way out of the city. Whenever I went there I always found it decidedly soulless and lacking in atmosphere, which is perhaps part of the reason why I've never taken the M69 Derby anything like as seriously as our East Midlands rivalries. Once you left Highfield Road and the only thing that even remotely resembled hostility was tucked away in the corner of the Tesco Stand, it was about as threatening as a kitten. The 10,000 empty seats and dearth of anything resembling a matchday atmosphere outside the ground didn't help much either.

Would the Butts be a decent replacement if you could redevelop the three sides?

13 hours ago, Bilo said:

Completely agree that the Ricoh Arena has been a major factor in Coventry's downfall.

It should never have been built really, especially considering it was far larger than the Highfield Road ground it replaced and some way out of the city. Whenever I went there I always found it decidedly soulless and lacking in atmosphere, which is perhaps part of the reason why I've never taken the M69 Derby anything like as seriously as our East Midlands rivalries. Once you left Highfield Road and the only thing that even remotely resembled hostility was tucked away in the corner of the Tesco Stand, it was about as threatening as a kitten. The 10,000 empty seats and dearth of anything resembling a matchday atmosphere outside the ground didn't help much either.

Would the Butts be a decent replacement if you could redevelop the three sides?

The thing is, the Ricoh has done wonders for the city. It brought Olympic football, world class concerts and exhibitions to the city. However, it has never felt like home for the club. It was terribly branded for the first few years without any Coventry badges. The crowds never picked up due to the poor football on offer and the atmosphere suffered. And now the Wasps have moved in, it has never felt less like a home for the club. For big games it has been brilliant, the atmosphere at the game when we return was the one of the best I have experienced at a football match, but that was because it was full and there was a 'big game' feel about it. 

The location of the Butts is brilliant. A few minute walk from city centre, the station and Earlsdon which is packed with pubs. The problem is, the site is just too small. The chairman believes the club could build a 12,000 seater stadium, which could be extended to 25,000 but I just can't see how. It is very unlikely to happen as SISU's relationship with the council is so bad that they would trust them to build something in the city centre. 

On 21 March 2017 at 16:03, BoyJones said:

Have they ever finished in the top half of any divisions on in the last 48 years? Would be surprised. 

This is one of their problems. All those last day survivals did nothing for them, they'd have been better off going up and down a few times, giving their fans some success, some memories, big promotion matches, heroic moments, some good seasons as basically all they've been involved in is a 40 odd year relegation battle. No wonder they've got no support.

What i don't get is the apathy shown towards the club from it's supporters and the owners. It seems like it's dying and the supporters and the owners want it to die. I know the owners are shit, and i bet they think the fans are shit, but surely everyone knows it's a club on it's last legs and there doesn't seem any fight to want to change that. Why don't the owners drop the ticket prices to a fiver and try to fill the ground, that's 50% more money made than 20 quid a ticket with 5000 fans in. Surely the fans wouldn't grumble at paying a fiver to watch a football match whether they win or lose and the owners would be happy to make more money (plus the extra  that comes with having more bums on seats) and see a stadium full.

12 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

What i don't get is the apathy shown towards the club from it's supporters and the owners. It seems like it's dying and the supporters and the owners want it to die. I know the owners are shit, and i bet they think the fans are shit, but surely everyone knows it's a club on it's last legs and there doesn't seem any fight to want to change that. Why don't the owners drop the ticket prices to a fiver and try to fill the ground, that's 50% more money made than 20 quid a ticket with 5000 fans in. Surely the fans wouldn't grumble at paying a fiver to watch a football match whether they win or lose and the owners would be happy to make more money (plus the extra  that comes with having more bums on seats) and see a stadium full.

I think the owners are quite frankly mercenary enough to think (as they likely always have) that asset-stripping the club/stadium is going to lead to a better return that maintaining it in any way. So honestly I think their intent right now is just to run it into the ground.

That does beg the question as to why they haven't gotten rid before now, though.

But it's patently obvious that SISU are cancerous.

Archived