Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milo

Did we keep the receipt for Musa?

It was a strange decision by Shakespeare, as he adds nothing defensively. Amartey would have been a smarter decision or even Gray, who we know can hold the ball better.

I think Shakespeare was probably trying to keep our quick counter and over the top balls as still an option, so thought he could play a Vardy role in that sense, but to bring Slimani on as well, didn't seem to add up. 

As I've said in other threads, to me it's simple. If we are defending a lead, then Amartey should come on for Okazaki and we go to a 5 man midfield, and Ulloa should come on for Vardy, as he is the only one who can win headers and holds the ball up pretty well. I would also bring Gray on for Mahrez at somepoint too, as think he could work well with Ulloa laying it off to him.

If we need a goal or two, then Slimani and Gray are definitely the changes I would make and have Mahrez and Gray switching between the no.10 and right wing. 

I just don't see what Musa adds at the moment. He is clearly not a winger, and is actually less helpful in defence than Mahrez. His only real use, is his pace and so I would only use him for a direct swap for Vardy and play him high up the pitch, on the shoulders of the centrebacks, looking for those direct balls to run on to. 

I still don't think we can be that critical of him or Slimani, as they came into a situation where the team was exhausted and sitting extremely deep, and hoofing the ball clear, whenever they got the chance. It was an incredibly difficult situation to have any impact on the game, especially with their best attributes not being utilised, so I question Shakespeare's choices to bring them on, more than their performances overall.

• Like 4

I get the whole 'give the lad time' some players struggle to adapt to the demands of a new league, new country etc. 

yes we have seen glimpses of his potential but unfortunately they are very few and far between. 

If he looked to have any form of desire to play for starters it would go along way to the fans - many players have struggled but at least look as if you are trying to do something. There have been too many occasions now literally the basics of football have failed with him; pass the ball, control a receiving ball, running with the ball in easy circumstances, that to me isn't someone who needs time to settle, it is someone who is playing at a level way beyond their current ability. 

• Like 1

Think we won him. He looks so lost in our tram and doesn't seem to have any desire.

There's players in League Two with a better first touch.

Edited by Fox92

52 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Did we keep the receipt for vardy his first season, wonder how that worked out showing faith in him.

He's had a shocking season, but we have seen what he can do against Barca, so maybe hold off writing him off until he's had another season

A Barca second string defence in a friendly, means nothing. If we cant offload him get him out on loan to achampionship team to see if he can even cut it at that level, although i have my doubts to be honest.

57 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Did we keep the receipt for vardy his first season, wonder how that worked out showing faith in him.

He's had a shocking season, but we have seen what he can do against Barca, so maybe hold off writing him off until he's had another season

I wish people would stop comparing a player we paid £17mill for who has previously played in the Champions League, to a player we paid a million quid for from non league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Don't think purchasing footballer's registration works like that. Think we'd have to try and sell him if we didn't want to play him

anymore. Nice idea though mate. 

But aren't there some EU rules that say that the article you purchase has to be fit for purpose?  Perhaps because we got him from Russia disqualifies us from use of that clause?

1 hour ago, Monsell1976 said:

Fair point, but at least Vardy ran around and looked interested in his first season...

I have always tended to look at footballers in terms of what they clearly add to a team. Their clearly defined role and function, if you like.

I can't stand Robbie Savage, for example, and let's have it right...he was not a great footballer. But it was clear why he was in O'Neill's side...he was there as a stopper, a nuisance and because he had energy.

If we take Jeff Schlupp as a counter example. I always tried to defend the lad because, on his day, he could be almost unplayable. The opposition literally did not know what he was gonna do! The problem was that neither did our players (or indeed Jeff himself?) But I always felt with Schlupp that his position was just not clear. What did he offer to the team, where did he play? Etc..

I feel exactly the same with Musa. We've seen that he CAN beat defenders and score goals. But where do we play him? What is his best position? What does he give to the side that is clearly defined and makes him obviously a first choice?

Thats the bit I can't answer.