Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Massive win against West Ham

For me yesterday wasn't a massive game for Premier League survival but our Champions League hopes. The next two games coming up are equally massive and "must win" games. If we can win both those games we will have 36pts and it allows Shakey some legroom to gamble and play a second XI against Everton (a) and Palace (a) whilst keeping the first XI as fresh as possible and allowing them to fully focus on Atletico Madrid with an eight day break from the Sunderland match and the six days between the Atletico matches. Look how close our fixtures are together and after we ran out of steam against West Ham after the hour mark we don't want to be desperate for points against Everton and Palace.

I've put in bold what I would like the first XI fixtures to be.

1st Stoke (h)

4th Sunderland (h)

9th Everton (a)

12th Atletico Madrid (a)

15th Crystal Palace (a)

18th Atletico Madrid (h)

This season might be the perfect storm for us again as we've had to up our game to get out of the relegation battle but we're not too far out of it that we can just switch off and expect to turn it on again for the Champions League. So what a great week it's been that we've achieved both our targets and now have a break to concentrate on taking maximum points from both our next two home games.

Just now, Gerard said:

For me yesterday wasn't a massive game for Premier League survival but our Champions League hopes. The next two games coming up are equally massive and "must win" games. If we can win both those games we will have 36pts and it allows Shakey some legroom to gamble and play a second XI against Everton (a) and Palace (a) whilst keeping the first XI as fresh as possible and allowing them to fully focus on Atletico Madrid with an eight day break from the Sunderland match and the six days between the Atletico matches. Look how close our fixtures are together and after we ran out of steam against West Ham after the hour mark we don't want to be desperate for points against Everton and Palace.

1st Stoke (h)

4th Sunderland (h)

9th Everton (a)

12th Atletico Madrid (a)

15th Crystal Palace (a)

18th Atletico Madrid (h)

This season might be the perfect storm for us again as we've had to up our game to get out of the relegation battle but we're not too far out of it that we can just switch off and expect to turn it on again for the Champions League. So what a great week it's been that we've achieved both our targets and now have a break to concentrate on taking maximum points from both our next two home games.

They've had all the break they need with our mid season slump, keep them in and let's keep winning. I wouldn't change what doesn't need changing.

Only thing that worries me is we looked shattered against West Ham. The Sevilla game took a lot out of the players both physically and emotionally.  The 2 Atletico games will be similar in terms of what it will take out of the players. I hope that our league form doesn't take a nose dive again. 

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

Only thing that worries me is we looked shattered against West Ham. The Sevilla game took a lot out of the players both physically and emotionally.  The 2 Atletico games will be similar in terms of what it will take out of the players. I hope that our league form doesn't take a nose dive again. 

It is important we have a good cushion in the league, because we will need to play pretty much a second string side against Everton if we want to even have a chance of progressing in the CL 

39 minutes ago, Gerard said:

1st Stoke (h)

4th Sunderland (h)

9th Everton (a)

12th Atletico Madrid (a)

15th Crystal Palace (a)

18th Atletico Madrid (h)

6 games in 18 days....

Theres the must of staying up...

Against CL, we all want to be at least  in with a chance to go through in thid unique maybe only season in the CL....Not easy, but this is the body tingling action we love to live on...

Rest...who needs one, it will be the use of subs that might be the important critical player pause, we need to use....

Who knows...

Hull have played a game more and are six points adrift of us, I cant see them winning more than at least 4 of their remaining 9 games so 3 wins from our last 10 should be more than enough.

The Everton game will probably see a few players given a chance to stake a claim for a place and some first teamers rested.

Everton are on form so that away game is probably a loss even with our first choice side.

I'd play all the reserves at Everton and then see how the table looks and the state of play after the first leg.

We need everyone 1000% fit for 90 minutes of slogging in Madrid to stay in the tie for the home leg. 

About to make a point that doesn't really need making, but I look at that table and wonder how many points we'd have got from the last three league games playing as we were. Who knows. Can't help thinking we'd be in a really dire position now. All hypothetical, but I honestly believe the owners couldn't have waited another week to do what they did. 

It was an important win, sitting on 30 points now gives us some space and good chance of survival. 

Will be interesting to see how we approach the Palace game in between Madrid games. 

Personally id be happy to throw the Everton game and pick up 7 points from Palace, Stoke and Sunderland - sticks is on 37 points which is pretty much survival with a few games left to play in the season and hopefully fresh side to give Madrid a good game. 

11 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

I think we can use our quality squad players a bit. So start Chilwell a bit to preserve Fuchs. Give Gray a couple of starts. Slimani too. Now he's had an outing Benny too. 

Not sure we can rest either N'didi or Drinky though for lack of viable alternatives. 

36pts and play this team versus Everton.

Slimani Ulloa

Musa Mendy King Gray

Chilwell Wasilewski Benalouane Amartey

Zieler

26 minutes ago, sm1 said:

The next two games are essential. If we get 6 pts against Stoke and Sunderland, it gives Shakey the option to use reserve teams against Palace & Everton.

Exactly. Make a call after these games. 

So far Shakey hasn't had a setback, but it's inevitable one will come along. So although our outlook is now quite positive, we can't take anything for granted. 

Guest CityFan 06
2 hours ago, Koke said:

I suppose this is when Shakespeare will have to look at integrating the likes of Chilwell, Gray, Amartey/King/Mendy, Slimani etc to keep things fresh.

As you have pointed out, we can't afford another slip up in league form so we might have to start utilising other players.

Archived