Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

A ban on sacking managers mid-season?

44 minutes ago, EGBFitness said:

I'm not saying he is right but I can see why maybe the LMA would back this. 

This would stop the likes of Leeds in previous seasons, Forest, Derby and co hiring and firing at free will. Some managers aren't given enough time to be able to get their ideas across, there was plenty who wanted Pearson out during the Great Escape season. 

There is too many factors involved why it wouldn't work; performance related, failed objectives, short term contract etc

Looking on the flip side it could work having some sort of hiring window rather than a sacking window? Coaching opportunities at the elite level is rare and some coaches aren't given the opportunity to progress. Maybe clubs should be allowed to sack a manager when they like but are only allowed to sign a manager during the player transfer window - this will allow coaches within the club the opportunity to take over first team duties and showcase their skills, similar to the situation currently with Shakespeare and maybe make some club owners more considerate with their appointments/ irrational decisions. 

If you get compensated a company should be able to sack who they want.

If i ran a small hotel and hired a cleaner who was awful why should I let her ruin my business? Bob Bradley would probably have took Swansea down but their board quickly identified they'd made a mistake and sacked him and no doubt he made a small fortune for his few weeks there so did very well out of the job financially.

No one should be able to tell you that have to let someone ruin a club out of loyalty.

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

If you get compensated a company should be able to sack who they want.

If i ran a small hotel and hired a cleaner who was awful why should I let her ruin my business? Bob Bradley would probably have took Swansea down but their board quickly identified they'd made a mistake and sacked him and no doubt he made a small fortune for his few weeks there so did very well out of the job financially.

No one should be able to tell you that have to let someone ruin a club out of loyalty.

I agree with you, this is why it will never come into effect. 

The FA/ Premier League can set as many rules in place as they can but ultimately can't run the clubs and as you said the decision on whether a manager should stay or go should lay with the owners as it is unfortunately more of a business nowadays. 

I think it would be nice to see some managers given more time, as a coach looking to climb the football pyramid myself I know how hard opportunities. Personally I don't think clubs or the FA do enough to bring through quality home grown managers (minus ex pros), the FA say they provide the best courses in the world etc but how many quality English managers is there available? Whenever an England manager is sacked we are pretty much scrapping the barrel to find at least 2 leading candidates who are English. Allow clubs to sack and set their compensation packages (it is a results business and shouldn't be dictated when they can and can't sack if performances/results aren't good enough) but only allow them to hire at certain times could allow some coaches the opportunity to shine (shakey example), raises the standard of coaching - anyone who managers in the Prem needs to hold a Pro license so will see more coaches with the highest form of qualification and can potentially create more homegrown coaches. Not saying it's right but maybe a thought? 

If if we still had an open transfer window how many players would of been sold this season due to what some considered as being either a poor player, bad form or past it. 

Maybe imposing some sort of manager transfer window would potential see less sacking as clubs may be more incline to take risks with certain managers (Bradley at Swansea?) and may be forced to develop more of a long term plan to work with managers. Granted every manager/ player signing is a risk no matter how high or low their reputation is within the game. 

Archived