Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Annoying words or phrases that have crept into football media vocabulary

Not so much in the media, but heard a couple of players use the phrase "Going for the W" rather than "Going for the win" or "The W is all that matters"

It takes longer to say "double U" than "win" lol It's not an abbreviation lol 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

This is something that has snuck in over the last few years and I feel is part of this weird Americanisation of sports that we're going through. Referring to teams (collectives) as individuals.

Leicester is doing well this season.

It doesn't work. It's grammatically incorrect. If you're referring to us a singular then the correct way of addressing us beyond that would be 'it', as follows :

Leicester is doing well this season. It is top of the league.

It should be :

Leicester are doing well this season. They are top of the league.

We would all refer to our team as 'us' or 'they' so it follows that the correct article should be 'are'. It should never be Leicester is

Spot on foxile5. Another example of the bastardisation (is that a word?) of the English language for commercial purposes. 

Ali G esque. (That's not a word, yet)

2 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Spot on foxile5. Another example of the bastardisation (is that a word?) of the English language for commercial purposes. 

Ali G esque. (That's not a word, yet)

The thing that bothers me is that it has snuck in seemingly overnight. Pundits and commentators have suddenly adopted it. It does make me wonder if the BBC style sheet has been changed to start the process of easing an NFL football into the national psyche. I know that was the plan. And, as I said earlier, 'winningest' is starting to become common-place, it's getting exposure in the Grauniad recently.

People think it's petty, and that it's just mindless pedantry, but language is a fundamental factor in how we perceive the world. And the changing from collective nouns to singular is a start of the mental disassociation from our football club. A lot of fans will stop thinking of LCFC as an us, but start thinking of LCFC as an it. A soulless corporate franchise that we consume. It's been happening a while.

The continued incorrect use of the term ''stonewall".

Commentators saying ''he's hit the woodwork". Goalposts haven't been made of wood for decades.

Commentators saying a player is "unlucky" when hitting the "woodwork". It's not unlucky. He missed. The goal didn't suddenly get smaller. Just say it was a good effort, but not unlucky.

• Like 1

'Studs are showing'.

Most pundits say this without thinking. Showing to who? Depends what angle you're looking at it from. It doesn't make it a dangerous tackle. In fact, for the tackler, pointing your toe in a tackle increases the risk of injury.

34 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

2 banks of 4.

Basically, it means playing 4-4-2. They never say 'a bank of 3 and a bank of 5'.

WTF is a bank anyway.

Jesus. It really doesn't. 

The term bank is taken from the word for a heap or incline i.e something that stands in your way blocking that path, and banks are often straight lines, and this is why you wouldn't use if for another formation, when you play two banks of four the lines need to be straight, and not to far apart making it difficult to break down or go over the top of, it doesn't mean playing 4-4-2, it's a defensive approach adopted by some teams who use the 4-4-2 formation as it's difficult to break down and go over the top of, we do it, a lot. 

8609__2904__4-4.jpg

It's more than possible to play 4-4-2 in different ways, we have even tried it ourselves this season and have been dire at it, but here is Juventus demonstrating how a Diamond defensive formation is deployed, as you can see, central midfielder are in line horizontally as oppose to vertically giving the attacking team a different problem when attempting to break them down. If it's done properly, if it's not you're left horribly open also if you're midfielders don't give appropriate full back cover you'll be in trouble.

MindGame121a.jpg

if you were playing say 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 whatever the gradients at which your players stand is not a straight line, in fact they often involve a lot of shuffling across depending on where the opponent is trying to shift the ball in order to gain space, where as with two banks of four it always remains quite static. The back 5 in this formation is more of a curve shape, where as the midfield stands in a V with the deepest midfielder sitting just in front of the back 5, this is why you would not call this a bank

narrow.jpg

So there you go, be annoyed no more. And Cheers, work was starting to bore me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foxile5 said:

This is something that has snuck in over the last few years and I feel is part of this weird Americanisation of sports that we're going through. Referring to teams (collectives) as individuals.

Leicester is doing well this season.

It doesn't work. It's grammatically incorrect. If you're referring to us a singular then the correct way of addressing us beyond that would be 'it', as follows :

Leicester is doing well this season. It is top of the league.

It should be :

Leicester are doing well this season. They are top of the league.

We would all refer to our team as 'us' or 'they' so it follows that the correct article should be 'are'. It should never be Leicester is

I'm an offending party, and i'd like to defend myself lol

"A collective noun names a group of individuals or things with a singular form. Examples of collective nouns are: faculty, herd, team. There are collective nouns for people, animals, objects, and concepts. The use of a singular or plural verb depends on the context of the sentence. If one is referring to the whole group as a single entity, then the singular verb is best: The school board has called a special session. When a group noun is used with a singular determiner (e.g., a/an, each, every, this, that), singular verbs and pronouns are normal: The team is away this weekend; they have a good chance of winning. There are other contexts where the plural verb is more natural: My family are always fighting among themselves. When the individuals in the collection or group receive the emphasis, the plural verb is acceptable. Generally, however, in American English, collective nouns take singular verbs. In British English, collective nouns are more often treated as plurals that take plural verbs."

Source: http://blog.dictionary.com/collective-nouns/

So you'd be right in complaining about British people using singular verbs, in the same way that I cringe anytime Americans use British slang. 

Where i do have an issue is when you expect other people to change their language to satisfy your own preferences. People slated Bob Bradley for using Americanisms at Swansea. I personally think he should have just owned it, and used the word "Soccer" to drive the media crazy