Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
luckyalex13

Tactical Changes

Pressing, pressing and pressing! High pressing has been the key ingredient missing from last season. It's a mystery why Claudio didn't want our players to run after opponents like we did then, we just sat back and invited our opponents to score - and so they did :/

It turns out we can also string more than few passes together under Shakes. One touch play never hurts, before that we mostly played huthball. We still hoof quite a lot under pressure but at least now the gap between the midfield and attackers isn't that big so we can actually win long balls sometimes and Vards or Slim are having their chances.

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Couple of changes are pretty clear - I assume Fuchs and Simpson were told not to cross the halfway line under CR...Fuchs especially has been much more adventurous in the last 4 games. Huth and Wes don't hoof it at every opportunity and we therefore have the midfield involved in the game.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not Shinji's biggest fan (I know, I know...) I'd love to see a Knockaert - type player in that role.

Don't worry you'll convert to a Shinjinite soon... He's due to score a bicycle kick goal or a hilarious rebound :thumbup: 

Albrighton is playing narrower, Ranieri had him playing wider to try and stretch play but he was hamstrung by being on his wrong foot, effectively he had about 90° of space to play the ball because it was obvious now he was going to cut back on his right foot. Now he's playing more in the halfspace which is strategically a better position due to being able to move or play the ball in any direction.

58d1b6d51cf04_ScreenShot2017-03-21at22_54_42.thumb.jpg.2f54847624fb19c7400f349fcc1d70af.jpg

One thing that is rarely mentioned about us is that our game management is sublime. Last season we were masters in game management and seeing games out. The last 4 games I've seen that quality come back slowly slowly again into our game. Our players are not technically the best but we have tactically intelligent players and I firmly believe we are one of the best teams in the league in terms of game management. We're not the type of team to throw away a 2 goal lead.

Carragher and Souness can call our players shit all they like but if you want a team to produce three consecutive 1-0 wins, you will chose Leicester over Stoke, Southampton etc. 

20 minutes ago, Koke said:

One thing that is rarely mentioned about us is that our game management is sublime. Last season we were masters in game management and seeing games out. The last 4 games I've seen that quality come back slowly slowly again into our game. Our players are not technically the best but we have tactically intelligent players and I firmly believe we are one of the best teams in the league in terms of game management. We're not the type of team to throw away a 2 goal lead.

Carragher and Souness can call our players shit all they like but if you want a team to produce three consecutive 1-0 wins, you will chose Leicester over Stoke, Southampton etc. 

We've not dropped any points in games we've been leading this season despite utterly shit for 80% of it

Very noticeable that Vardy and Shinji are pressing the goalkeeper and defenders harder when they have the ball, causing them to panic and ultimately lose possession. Under Claudio we just meekly dropped back. This was apparent immediately from the start of the Liverpool match onwards.

That coupled with some delightful one touch play out from the back.

Of cause there's still plenty of hoofing when they tire towards the end of matches as it isn't possible to keep up that level of effort for a whole match.

10 minutes ago, Wookie said:

We've not dropped any points in games we've been leading this season despite utterly shit for 80% of it

Last time we dropped points from.a winning position  was West Ham last season, and we were down to 10 men.

The more games we play the more we get back to our previous level. We're not there yet but we're seeing signs of it. At our best we are tactically intelligent and we control the emotions of the game very well. 

Shame this season has been a total and utter waste. We lost to Sunderland and made them look half decent and we went to Middlesbrough and parked the bus for a 0-0 draw. These are the 2 worst teams in the lesgue. Tragic 

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Very noticeable that Vardy and Shinji are pressing the goalkeeper and defenders harder when they have the ball, causing them to panic and ultimately lose possession. 

This was particularly noticeable when Vardy closed down one of their fullbacks and made a block that sent the ball flying into the air, it then landed at the feet of the Sevilla player who panicked and passed it straight out of play for our throw-in. This set a tone for the rest of the team and combined with the atmosphere made it very difficult for Sevilla to play their game. 

4 hours ago, Wookie said:

Albrighton is playing narrower, Ranieri had him playing wider to try and stretch play but he was hamstrung by being on his wrong foot, effectively he had about 90° of space to play the ball because it was obvious now he was going to cut back on his right foot. Now he's playing more in the halfspace which is strategically a better position due to being able to move or play the ball in any direction.

This is great analysis, is there anywhere I can find more like this?

I mentioned this in the West Ham match thread but it got buried. But our movement from the corner that led to Vardy's goal was much better.. Simple run to the front post from Okazaki opened up the space. Wouldn't surprise me if we had been working on them in training, as well s the free kick routine for the second. 

11 hours ago, Melbourne Fuchs said:

This is great analysis, is there anywhere I can find more like this?

I did that analysis but http://spielverlagerung.com is the most detailed tactical analysis on the internet. These Football Times occasionally do analysis too with our game against Sevilla being the most recent one http://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/03/15/the-big-analysis-leicester-city-vs-sevilla/

Christian Fuchs explains what Leicester players did to get Ranieri sacked

Published 18 minutes ago Add your comment

Football News

24/7

Claudio Ranieri's sacking last month was one of the shocks of the season so far. Despite dangling precariously above the relegation zone, the Italian tactician had guided them to their first Premier League title just months earlier and was keeping them in the mix in the Champions League.

However, it proved that there is no room for sentimentality in football as Foxes bosses gave the former Chelsea manager his marching orders.

Since his departure, though, Leicester have been revitalised, pulling clear of danger at the bottom and navigating their way into the quarter finals of the Champions League following a stunning comeback against Sevilla.

This return to form has lead to accusations of the team not turning out for Ranieri and losing faith in his abilities as a manager.

Several of the players have been quick to deny this, and popular defender Christian Fuchs has become the latest to do so.

Though, unlike the others, he has opened up on what the players did do to help push the likeable old Tinkerman out of his position in the hot seat.

“We were maybe over-motivated, and we wanted to prove just why we are the reigning champions, he said as per The Sun.

“There were spells when we played with fancy flourishes, back-heels and special finishes, simply to show what we can do.”

"We were no longer pragmatic, and we unintentionally neglected to do the basics.

"There were no conversations between the club's bosses and the players about getting rid of Claudio Ranieri.

"But I was sure that people would think we were to blame. So after Claudio was sacked I turned my mobile off completely for three days."

The 30-year-old then went on to explain what it was like for the players in the days after Ranieri's sacking, stating that the players were all aware that their good form would make them look like guilty parties.

"When we played Liverpool last month public opinion made us out to be the bad guys. Everyone was against us.

"So we said to ourselves, 'Let's show 'em'. We went out and made a real statement with the way we played against Liverpool."

26 minutes ago, davieG said:

Christian Fuchs explains what Leicester players did to get Ranieri sacked

Published 18 minutes ago Add your comment

Football News

24/7

Claudio Ranieri's sacking last month was one of the shocks of the season so far. Despite dangling precariously above the relegation zone, the Italian tactician had guided them to their first Premier League title just months earlier and was keeping them in the mix in the Champions League.

However, it proved that there is no room for sentimentality in football as Foxes bosses gave the former Chelsea manager his marching orders.

Since his departure, though, Leicester have been revitalised, pulling clear of danger at the bottom and navigating their way into the quarter finals of the Champions League following a stunning comeback against Sevilla.

This return to form has lead to accusations of the team not turning out for Ranieri and losing faith in his abilities as a manager.

Several of the players have been quick to deny this, and popular defender Christian Fuchs has become the latest to do so.

Though, unlike the others, he has opened up on what the players did do to help push the likeable old Tinkerman out of his position in the hot seat.

“We were maybe over-motivated, and we wanted to prove just why we are the reigning champions, he said as per The Sun.

“There were spells when we played with fancy flourishes, back-heels and special finishes, simply to show what we can do.”

"We were no longer pragmatic, and we unintentionally neglected to do the basics.

"There were no conversations between the club's bosses and the players about getting rid of Claudio Ranieri.

"But I was sure that people would think we were to blame. So after Claudio was sacked I turned my mobile off completely for three days."

The 30-year-old then went on to explain what it was like for the players in the days after Ranieri's sacking, stating that the players were all aware that their good form would make them look like guilty parties.

"When we played Liverpool last month public opinion made us out to be the bad guys. Everyone was against us.

"So we said to ourselves, 'Let's show 'em'. We went out and made a real statement with the way we played against Liverpool."

Wow, the first sentence 

High pressing, being on the front foot all over the pitch, Fullbacks venturing forward. It truly has been a return to what got us success. 

One thing that stands out for me is that these last four games have dispelled the myth that Vardy needs thirty yards of space to run into to be effective. If you win the ball back higher up the field, the pass in to Vardy is played quicker and with more accuracy. With his pace, he really only needs ten yards to run in to. 

Drinkwater, Mahrez etc were being forced to play long balls from deep for vardy but this proved impossible when sides set up to stop us doing so. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Anyone else notice we changed to what looked like a 4-1-4-1 after Amartey came on?

With Ndidi being the defensive shield. Also noticed we dropped a lot deeper.

That's what we always do when Amartey comes on. Only recently though has Ndidi dropped deeper and Amartey plays alongside Drinkwater further forward. Probably to counter balls being put in our box. *Amartey used to play deeper in shakeys earlier games*

Archived