Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Uefa president wants transfer reforms to end big club domination

The head of European football wants to change the transfer system to stop big clubs "hoarding" the best players.

Aleksander Ceferin, president of European football's governing body Uefa, says a "luxury tax" on rich clubs and squad limits could also help to stop elite clubs dominating the game.

He said the "excessive concentration of talent with a few teams" had to change.

"Uefa has a duty to protect the whole of football and not just the elite," Ceferin told a conference in Lisbon.

The Slovenian lawyer, who was elected to the role last September, told a conference in Lisbon that Uefa needed to address a "decrease in competitive balance" within European club football.

"We need to assess whether the transfer market is the best we can do," he said.

"We cannot be afraid to touch it. We do have to examine new mechanisms like luxury taxes and in particular sporting criteria like squad limitations and fair transfer rules, to avoid player hoarding."

He did not give any further details on what he meant by luxury taxes or fair transfer rules, but added that Uefa could work with global governing body Fifa to make changes to the transfer market - or do so via its own licensing regulations.

Some of Europe's smaller leagues have complained about big teams signing up their best players at a young age, only to immediately send them on loan elsewhere.

In the Premier League, Chelsea had more than 30 players out on loan earlier this season, while in Italy champions Juventus have more than 50 players loaned out.

Ceferin also said Uefa would set up a new division entitled "Protection of the Game" to tackle doping, corruption, violence and match-fixing.

I think limiting squad sides is probably a decent idea so long as it's a sensible number.

Chelsea having 30 players out on loan is just ridiculous. It's just hoarding players in the hope one or two will be worth it at some point and to try and make it harder for the competition. 

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The only way to do so would be to have some kind of draft and that would never happen?

A wage cap SHOULD AND NEEDS to be introduced though.

None of the big leagues would ever agree to that because their players would **** off to one of the other leagues.

15 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The only way to do so would be to have some kind of draft and that would never happen?

Not sure where you're getting draft from, bringing young players through is a different issue, he has just suggested having a squad limit.

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Not sure where you're getting draft from, bringing young players through is a different issue, he has just suggested having a squad limit.

Wants to stop domination - drafts? Teams change every so many years is the only way you'll stop total domination from the so called big clubs. 

11 hours ago, GaelicFox said:

If you can't see who this aimed at your blind and a sheep 

this will be an anti English Premier league rule ! 

Because the Premier League is dominating in Europe right now.  More likely a bid to make Spanish, French and German football more relevant to anyone who doesn't support one of the 6 teams that win things there.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Because the Premier League is dominating in Europe right now.  More likely a bid to make Spanish, French and German football more relevant to anyone who doesn't support one of the 6 teams that win things there.

Long may it dominate 

12 hours ago, GaelicFox said:

If you can't see who this aimed at your blind and a sheep 

this will be an anti English Premier league rule ! 

You think, it seems to me that this would be bad news for Bayern, Madrid, Juventus, PSG and Barcelona especially because they just hoover up all the talent in their leagues (especially Bayern)

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Dominating financially for sure but not really in terms of player or team quality

Squad limits and wage caps would level the playing field massively. It would have to be adhered to across the continent though- I'm sure the English FA would offer up the greatest resistance.

Imagine being able to compete with the big clubs' salaries, and them not being able to sign anyone they want without any intention of playing them... Clubs like ours could sign some top players and compete. Average foreign players wouldn't move over here as frequently, improving English players' chances of playing and progressing and helping the national team.

In reality, the gap will keep getting bigger as more and more money is pumped into the game.

43 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Squad limits and wage caps would level the playing field massively. It would have to be adhered to across the continent though- I'm sure the English FA would offer up the greatest resistance.

Imagine being able to compete with the big clubs' salaries, and them not being able to sign anyone they want without any intention of playing them... Clubs like ours could sign some top players and compete. Average foreign players wouldn't move over here as frequently, improving English players' chances of playing and progressing and helping the national team.

In reality, the gap will keep getting bigger as more and more money is pumped into the game.

Not the FA, the PL.

It's a fine line between getting the big clubs to tow the line and do what is best for the game and them threatening the governing body that if they don't like something then they threaten a breakaway European super league. the big clubs see it as they generate the most amounts of money so they should be entitled to bigger slices of the revenue than smaller clubs

People who think Chelsea are bad should just look at Serie A teams. Almost every single one has over 100 players on their books and although it's Juve being highlighted at having 50 out on loan, the others are all around that mark as well.

Just thinking out loud, if clubs weren't able to "hoard" quite so many players, meaning more players are available on frees, would it mean transfer fees wouldn't be quite so high?

It might need some work because I'm thinking of this as I type it, but I think clubs should have to submit their intentions when signing a player. Too often do clubs just sign a player and then never use them. Man Utd with Schneiderlin, Chelsea with Felipe Luis amongst many others. I think unless they can state a reason for signing a player (either as back up or to come straight into the first team squad) the transfer should be subject to approval. If a player isn't used as intended they should be fined. It would make clubs think twice about just buying any half decent player and stockpiling them. Also when moving these particular players on, if they haven't been involved for a certain % of games they've been available for then they shouldn't be allowed to ask for astronomical fees. The fact Man Utd can sign Schneiderlin for £25m, not use him for 18 months then flog him to Everton for £22m just because they can afford not to sell is a joke. Everton should be able to contact the FA or the premier league and ask for a panel to decide a fair fee.

• 2 months later...

I don't see a workable alternative in making leagues or (shudder) federations decide transfer fees.

I think something more along the lines of the baseball Rule 5 draft is needed.  It applies to players who have logged about five years as full professionals at any level.  Teams can protect 40 players, including their lower league prospects.  All others are exposed to other teams in the Rule 5 draft.  If chosen, a player must be kept on the selecting team's major league roster for the whole season.  (If not kept, he is waived then returns to his original team.)  This helps level the playing field and allows some players who cannot crack "stacked" squads to see the light of day.

In football this would apply to players on loan and junior squads.  Tweaks would be needed for the academy system.

And another thing ... make buyback clauses illegal !

Whilst I don't agree with player hoarding a lot of the players Chelsea have out on loan are young and came through their academy/youth set-up at least they are out on loan and playing football instead of rotting in the reserves.

I do think you have to look at the players being hoarded, I have seen very few complaints from players that they are not being used at a big club and those that have, Cuadrado for example at Chelsea have moved on without much of an issue.

Something does need to be done, I don't know what though, you can't deprive the best players access to the best academies and you can't force parent clubs to just ditch their investments because they have too many good young players coming through.

One thing I think is that scrapping B sides in Spain would help, playing for Barcelona B is better than playing for most La liga sides and as such they can attract more talent to their B team.

The other thing is putting it on the players and having mandatory clauses in the contract that if a player isn't used then he can break their contract for a nominal amount and move somewhere else. Something like if a 21-23 year old player who has been available all season and played less than 300 minutes of league action (for parent or loan club), or say 5% of the minutes he was available for then the club can't stop him leaving. Obviously things like injuries, suspensions and player behaviour/attitude comes into it. 23-28 year olds need to be playing so they could have a 10-20% of minutes clause then it starts to go down as players get older so 28-30 10% 30+ 5% and lets say an U21 on a professional contract needs to have been in a squad league or cup 5 times, but doesn't need to have played any football.

Obviously those figures are plucked out of my bottom, but something like that would prevent a player being stuck somewhere where he is just being hoarded to stop other clubs getting him, but not being used.

It wouldn't necessarily stop player hoarding but it would get more players out on loan/on the pitch playing football and give players more control over their destiny if they are not in the clubs plans.

On 22/03/2017 at 19:41, Ashley said:

Why ? 

Its an entertainment industry ... good luck to those lads earning  millions ,  most come from humble backgrounds and it's good to see such talents rewarded 

I want to live in a country where people are free to earn as much as they can as quick as they can within the law 

not cap people just because other are green eyed 

Archived