Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Paul Konchesky Interview

Paul Konchesky exclusive: Ranieri would still be in a job had he not won the league

“If Leicester had finished 17th last season and one point above relegation would they have been shouting for his head? I don’t think so and Ranieri would still be in the Premier League. The owners are ambitious guys and you can see that. After winning the league and then slipping down they couldn’t take a chance because this is where the money is. They’re business men and if that’s what was needed to stay in the Premier League then that’s how it is. It does look like the players didn’t want Ranieri there because they’re unbeaten in four now but I know those players and they don’t have that in them. They’re good guys and I think it came from the top.”

Nigel Pearson deserves more credit
“I got on really well with Nigel Pearson. To the press he came across as a bit moody or arrogant but with the players he was fantastic. I’ve got a lot of time for him and it was a pleasure to play for him. He doesn’t get the credit he deserves because when you get sacked all you’ve done at the club gets forgotten. Two years before winning the league he got Leicester promoted but that soon gets forgotten and the new manager gets all the praise.”

Shakespeare was the right man to steady the ship
“Nigel was manager but Shakey was the first team coach and he was massive for us. He did a lot of the work with players – the one on one stuff and patterns of play. Those bunch of players have been there for a couple of years now so they know him and he knows them. He knows how to get the best out of them and maybe he’s taken it all back to basics to get the boys winning games again. It certainly seems to be working and he was the right man to steady the ship.”

Paul Konchesky exclusive: I’d love to return to Leicester in some capacity
“You should never say never and if I had the opportunity to go back to work at Leicester I’d love to. It’s a great club with fantastic people. It’s a family club really.”

Leicester can progress against Atletico

“They’re in the last eight of the Champions League so there are no easy draws. Even so the four big hitters have all drawn each other so this is a fantastic tie for them and a great opportunity. If they can go to Atletico and get a good result out there there’s no reason why we can’t see a repeat of Sevilla at home last week.”

Promotion to Premier League was my Leicester highlight
“Getting promoted from the Championship to the Premier League in my third season there was a highlight for me and then staying up the year after. That goal against Wolves came about when the ball came across from the right with Ben Marshall switching the play. I had loads of space open up and I just kept going and going before letting go of a rocket into the top corner. It was disappointing though because we were two down at the time but it did mean something to me because being a defender I didn’t score very often. It was a buzz.”

Fan criticism does play on your mind
“It plays on your mind but everyone is allowed an opinion. If you’re in the middle you have to take the criticism and take it on the chin. If you can’t block it out you shouldn’t be playing football. You take things back to basics and keep it simple, make sure your game ticks over.”

Paul Konchesky was speaking exclusively to 888Sport.

Read the full 888sport interview with Paul Konchesky, including his thoughts on how Ranieri would still be in a job had he not won the league last season

View full article

• Like 3

Let's be totally honest, if we'd have finished 17th last season and were as poor this season as we were at the time of Ranieri's sacking, the only question would be why it wasn't done sooner! Otherwise Konchesky speaks well. I don't have rose-tinted spectacles when it comes to remembering his time here though, I thought he was pony. Others will disagree.

Edited by Lovejoy
  • Like 1

Of course he might be right on the first point, winning the league was a surprise to everyone and put the club way ahead of its three to five year club plan. If Claudio had finished top ten that would have been seen as gradual progress and would have kept him in the job! For another season at least!

12 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Of course he might be right on the first point, winning the league was a surprise to everyone and put the club way ahead of its three to five year club plan. If Claudio had finished top ten that would have been seen as gradual progress and would have kept him in the job! For another season at least!

It wouldn't, we were in the bottom 3 that isn't progress, we couldn't score a goal or even create any chances. It was bad very bad, should have gone sooner...

• Like 2

1I don't buy this whole "he wouldn't have been sacked if he hadn't won the league" bull shit. Even if we had finished 17th last season, with the amount of money spent on new signings in the summer, I'm pretty sure the owners would have been under whelmed with how poor we've been this season. And it's not just about our league position or even the results, it's how spectacularly crap our performances were. If we'd have been losing and been playing really well and we could see signs of improvement, I'm sure he'd have still been here. But the brutal truth was that we were playing dreadful and I honestly don't think we'd have won another game this season if he'd still been here. Kind of can't wait for this season to finish so everyone can stop talking about what might have/should have happened with Ranieri. Grateful for him for everything but we move on. 

• Like 2

So finishing in a worse position than Pearson and finding himself leading that team into almost certain relegation the following season despite heavy investment in the squad would mean Ranieri'd still be in a job? Right...

Don't think he comes across as particularly insightful, intelligent or interesting in that interview.

36 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

I can't believe you believe this! 

the owners don't take excuses ask Sven they gave him the money he didn't get the results. Claudio's results in the second season after spending what he spent were not good enough . Pearson got in the players he wanted got results unfortunately he was let down by three youth players. Under Pearson despite his arrogance with the press the team played with pride and passion and always looked that they were in the game.

• Like 4

I liked him as a player for us but that first line is nonsense. If Ranieri had finished 17th last year and the same this time he would've performed worse than Pearson in terms of finishing position so logically we'd be going backwards and his sacking would have no crying from the pundits.