Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Raul Uche dreams of Premier League debut alongside Jamie Vardy

Leicester City striker Raul Uche dreams of Premier League debut alongside Jamie Vardy

By JBlackwell  |  Posted: March 29, 2017

UcheUnder23s

Raul Uche has scored four goals for Leicester City's under-23s this season

However, the teenager is not ruling out a senior debut before the end of the season, even if he is still adjusting to life in a new country.

"They have many forwards, but you never know," Uche told Spanish newspaper Marca when asked if he could play in the Premier League before the summer.

"My style is made for the physical and direct game of the Premier League. I'm working hard to get the opportunity to play next to Vardy.

"I'm not scared, I watch and act accordingly. You really see the quality of Vardy, (Riyad) Mahrez. It is a luxury to train with them.

Raul%20Uche%20-%20Plumb%20(3)%20-%20web.

Uche brings the ball down during City under-23s' 2-1 Premier League 2 victory over Arsenal

"Vardy is always making jokes and Mahrez is a cool guy. The first time I trained with him, he sent me an impossible ball and then joked that I was supposed to be faster.

"(Leonardo) Ulloa helps explain the exercises to me.

"The food is very different, it rains a lot and in the winter it's dark at 4pm. Days are very short. The goal for the first year is just to acclimatise."

Read more: Leicester City to receive discount on Sporting Lisbon captain - reports

City head to Uche's birthplace, Madrid, in a fortnight's time for the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final against Atletico.

As the only Spaniard in the squad (the Marca article was headlined 'The Leicester spy'), Uche knows more than most about City's next European opponents and he believes the semi-finals are not a pipedream for Craig Shakespeare and his players.

"It is a modest and family-type club, more like Rayo than Atletico, but after winning the Premier League they have grown and have shown that they can still beat anybody," Uche said.

"On paper, Atletico are better and more experienced, but on the pitch, it's different. Sevilla were also favourites. If Leicester can hold on at the Calderon, they can do damage at home.

"When there are Champions League games on, it shows in the atmosphere. The stadium is always full, the fans sing for the whole game and in the dressing room, you can feel how they are encouraged.

"They have nothing to lose, they are aware of what they are doing and they are looking to take their chance."

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leicester-city-striker-raul-uche-dreams-of-premier-league-debut-alongside-jamie-vardy/story-30236283-detail/story.html#CFJugeTEcTV1tw2f.99

Lad who has just 16 appearances (2 starts) and 4 goals for the under 23's thinks he has a chance of making his premier league debut this season? Cant imagine Ulloa being happy if that happened!

Baby steps, Raul, baby steps...

16 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Lad who has just 16 appearances (2 starts) and 4 goals for the under 23's thinks he has a chance of making his premier league debut this season? Cant imagine Ulloa being happy if that happened!

He is only 19 to be fair.

25 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Nothing wrong with ambition imo. 

55 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

If he doesn't have hopes and dreams at his age, he'll never have them.  

So we've got a young lad being slated because he's set himself a target. No wonder so many kids fall through the leagues and into obscurity these days. 

I feel like my first comment is being misunderstood. No there's nothing wrong with ambition, but he's expecting too much too soon in his career. I just hope he doesn't spit his dummy out if he's not thrust into the limelight when he wants to be.

I admire his ambition, i really do, but its a bit like me saying i want to become a billionaire overnight and open up my own version of the playboy mansion in Syston next week. With a bit of hard work and devotion, it could happen in a few years time. Admittedly, its infinitely more likely that Uche's dreams will come true before mine does, but a bit of perspective and patience wouldn't go amiss.

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

So we've got a young lad being slated because he's set himself a target. No wonder so many kids fall through the leagues and into obscurity these days. 

This.

Why are people being so aggressive about a youth prospect being ambitious? Would they rather he be saying "yeah, don't know why I bothered, this lot are dicks, I'll never play."

Nothing wrong with what he's saying.

I'd rather have youth players chomping at the bit than not. He's not said anything out of order at all.

It's just down to him whether he gets himself into contention for starts next season and whether he is putting the work in in training and building himself physically to compete. The facilities are there for him to make the most of his opportunity.

Hopefully he and Barnes get into the cup side next season, but it depends on the manager for next season and whether he will give youth a chance or whether we have a lot of incoming players.

Fair play to him. If he's got the ability then the hunger will take him there. Maybe not this season with those stats but then stats don't tell the whole story.

Who's the guy who's banging them in at that level though, is it Ndukwu? If anyone had a chance of getting on in the final game of the season, it'd be that guy.

Archived