Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

Seeing that the "What are you listening to?" thread is still very popular, I thought I should start with something similar in the literature division.

I assume you're all still aware of the fact that there are books out there. You know, those weird square things you can get at bookstores or libraries. Pages and stuff... :mrgreen:

Anyhoo, I'm into

Joseph Campbell - The Power Of Myth

powerofmythsm2.jpg

Right now. Wonderful read of a recorded conversation with one of the world's most famous generalissimi...

Edited by SwissFox

Adrian Goldsworthy - In The Name Of Rome

when i've finished i've got Robin Lane Fox - Alexander the Great

obviously theres a theme going on haha. I can't read fiction for the life of me, never get beyond 10 pages, but history books i can storm through and learn.

Edited by Benji

Monyy Pythonn on Monty Python a combined autobiography telling how they became Pythons from schoolboys to university layabouts. Oh sorry I mean university hard working students. It tells of of their influences such as Spike Milligan Beyond the Fringe and such like humour.

I did hear Spike tell a story once. He was in the middle of writing some ideas for a TV show when he first saw Monty Python. He looked at the programme and said that's my idea' or words to that effect. Forget the name of it. Was it Channel 9 or something? (Q9 it was) I don't think it bothered him too much. Just shows how respected he was.

Also reading some message boards. :D

The Rise And Fall Of The British Empire by Lawrence James.

It's an interesting read. It shows that the British empire wasn't all bad, that it had some redeeming features. But it also shows that those people who complain that everything bad that happens in the world is Britain's fault are mostly right.

The other thing that strikes you is just how similarly the US acts as an imperial power to the way Great Britain acted in her pomp. The only thing that has changed is the soldier's uniforms and the hardware they use.

Got two on the go just now.

The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomasson and The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

Is it any good? i've got it free when i bought another book.

Anyways, i'm reading Freddie Flintoff - Being Freddie a good read with plenty of funny tales. Highly recommended

Recently read;

Micheal Vaughan-Calling The Shots another decent read if you like cricket

Dan Brown-Da Vinci Code and Angels & Deons page turners but a bit too far fetched. (especially A&D)

Is it any good? i've got it free when i bought another book.

Anyways, i'm reading Freddie Flintoff - Being Freddie a good read with plenty of funny tales. Highly recommended

Recently read;

Micheal Vaughan-Calling The Shots another decent read if you like cricket

Dan Brown-Da Vinci Code and Angels & Deons page turners but a bit too far fetched. (especially A&D)

Digital Fortress is slightly more realistic, so is Deception Point - but not as good in terms of entertainment!!

Currently reading the Narnia Chronicles (as I never read them in my childhood) I'm a bit of af film book person!!

Edited by Phube Fox

Jeff Winter - "Whos the Bas*ard in the black"

Might have a look at Jamie Lawrences autobiography at some point. He was part of the 1997 cup winning squad so might be a few bits worth looking at!

How random! Jamie Lawrence autobiography?! :huh:

Mind you, he did a stretch inside for something or other (robbery?) so he's probably got more than the odd tale to tell.

Pineapple.jpg

How random! Jamie Lawrence autobiography?! :huh:

Mind you, he did a stretch inside for something or other (robbery?) so he's probably got more than the odd tale to tell.

Pineapple.jpg

Yeah. Its called "From the prison to the premiership" or something like that.

Joseph Campbell - The Hero With A Thousand Faces

0691017840-books-resized200.jpg

This man is a genius. Storytelling at its best. Everybody who's interested in the creation of myths and the spine structure of human societies throughout the entire world should read this masterpiece.

Edited by SwissFox

• 5 years later...