Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

11 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Just read Predator by Wilbur Smith which I picked up at the airport ..   'The number one bestseller' ....      When I work out how this load of tripe is a number one bestseller I'll let you know.

I use to read a lot of Wilbur Smith but his later books are sick. I can't read them anymore.

9 hours ago, bovril said:

Superb book. Orwell was never the greatest wordsmith but he was a superb documenter.

I enjoy his insight into the people and institutions he came across, quite withering at times but always very lively.

You can see why so many of the people of these places ended up emigrating to various countries around the world.

http://www.george-orwell.org/ has all of his work on it free to read, very handy for just dipping into now and them.

• Like 1

I'm reading the New York Times Bestseller "The subtle art of not giving a fvck" by Mark Manson.

A counterintuitive approach to living a good life. Very funny, and highly recommended if you want to lead a more contented and grounded life. 

• 1 month later...

Read " One Day " recently after buying it my missus from the charity shop as a laugh, anyway it turns out it's actually a pretty decent book. I thought it would be a bit wet having assumed the storyline but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's played on my mind for a few days afterwards.

Don't know whether recent political developments have prompted this, but I'm having a re-read of some books about imprisonment and torture in the Soviet Gulag.

Having just re-read:

- Alexander Dolgun's Story 

- Man is Wolf to Man by Janusz Bardach

I am now tackling Solzhenitsyn's abridged The Gulag Archipelago.

Dolgun is the best. Solzhenitsyn the most detailed and scholarly.

If you want to know just how evil human beings can be to each other, and the difference between survivor and victim, read these.

• Like 1

My Turn. The autobiography of Johan Cruyff. He seems to be a bit up himself but a good story. Away from the highs, experienced a kidnapping attempt on his family & a string of failed business ventures with shysters who used him for his cash. Sad loss to football & anyone who watched the small amount of football on the box in the 70s will remember how great he was.

• 2 months later...
On 15/02/2017 at 16:55, Ric Flair said:

Read " One Day " recently after buying it my missus from the charity shop as a laugh, anyway it turns out it's actually a pretty decent book. I thought it would be a bit wet having assumed the storyline but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's played on my mind for a few days afterwards.

That death is a bit astonishing, I don't blame you for having it on your mind for a few days afterwards - me too. I didn't watch the movie because I didn't think it could possibly be that good, despite the fact that David Nicholls wrote the screenplay. The trailer told me I was quite right.