Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

29 minutes ago, Strokes said:

God knows I've not seen anything I would consider worthy, certainly not the thread in which Alf up and left. It's clearly a detriment to the forum to lose either of them. 

It's to do with the thing that Alf left over. IMO I've seen more heated arguments between Carl and Webbo, or Thracian and anyone he decides to offend that day. Matt seems to being punished for Alf's strop. I like Alf but Matt shouldn't be punished when others aren't because the guy he happened to piss off couldn't handle it.

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It's to do with the thing that Alf left over. IMO I've seen more heated arguments between Carl and Webbo, or Thracian and anyone he decides to offend that day. Matt seems to being punished for Alf's strop. I like Alf but Matt shouldn't be punished when others aren't because the guy he happened to piss off couldn't handle it.

I quite agree, I've no particular gripe with Alf, he is entitled to do what he did. I'm just unsure as to why Matts carrying the can, if that is the case. 

This and a few other things recently, seem to have stifled debate on here and that's the only reason most of us turn up. Isn't it?

Edited by Strokes

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

I quite agree, I've no particular gripe with Alf, he is entitled to do what he did. I'm just unsure as to why Matts carrying the can, if that is the case. 

This and a few other things recently, seem to have stifled debate on here and that's the only reason most of us turn. Isn't it?

Of course. I know there's multipal forum rules and obvious if you're continuously offensive or posting stuff that could get the place sued, or calling people names or trolling you should face punishment. I've already made my feelings about a certain posters offensive posting going unpunished. I didn't see anything like that from Matt imo. If we can't disagree with each other and discuss it, be it sacking Ranieri or starting King over Drinkwater to Brexit and Muslim terrorist then what are we doing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

What is Matt actually banned for?

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

God knows I've not seen anything I would consider worthy, certainly not the thread in which Alf up and left. It's clearly a detriment to the forum to lose either of them. 

Caveat:  The following post is speculative and inflammatory and heavily reliant on my often sketchy memory.  I hesitate to even make it without Matt around to provide a retort/clarification but in the interest of dissemination of information:

There was a strong case for Islamophobia in some of the things Matt was pulled up on by Alf which I assume is probably the main factor behind the ban.  That said, the offending comments were made a fair time back in a different thread and brought to light by being quoted into the topic in question so I would say that if that's the reason he's been locked out then it's definitely unfair given how long those comments had stood prior to this point - even if they were highly unsavoury I'd have thought a temporary ban and a warning would have sufficed.  If in reality the decision had more to do with his general demeanour then I have to agree with the sentiment that it's unfair in the context of what else goes on here. :D

At the end of the day it's all debate on the internet so nobody's getting physically hurt, nobody's forced to be subjected to the debate.  It's a shame Alf's taken a sabbatical because I really enjoyed his eloquent dissections of politics but his patience for explaining himself in the face of frequent childish retorts from many different conservative-minded posters was something I'd been amazed about for weeks before the falling out eventually happened so I absolutely understand his decision and in many ways it's reassuring to know that he is in fact a human with human emotions after all.  On the other side of that coin I've enjoyed being able to come on here and read opinions which challenge my own so I'm dismayed that Matt's been banned because he's the closest thing to an Alf we have on that side of the political divide and one of a select few posters whose comments actually get you re-evaluating your opinions when he's on form.  Yes he's a bit of a shit at times but aren't we all?  And besides, he's our bit of a shit, I hope we get him back eventually.

• Like 1

What have I missed? Did not know MattP was banned. I don't always agree with him but I have tried not to get involved too much lately. I think some post to wind me up and I am not that great at debating. Now I just shake my head and give a little smile at the comments as I cannot believe some are serious.

I've met Matt and found him pleasant company. He even bought one of my poetry books and a pint so cannot be that much of a self serving conservative. :)

• Like 1

Stressful 24 hours negotiating new job, while balancing the offer with an exit package.  Decided on balance that bumming around for 6 months would be great, but I would inevitably spend all of the redundancy money and take ages to get a job.  Can relax now.  Off to Sydney with new job on Sunday for two weeks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rincewind said:

What have I missed? Did not know MattP was banned. I don't always agree with him but I have tried not to get involved too much lately. I think some post to wind me up and I am not that great at debating. Now I just shake my head and give a little smile at the comments as I cannot believe some are serious.

I've met Matt and found him pleasant company. He even bought one of my poetry books and a pint so cannot be that much of a self serving conservative. :)

He's even been in one of your poems i believe?

"Mattp was a late arrival
Dressed as a city gent
He said i stopped to tie a shoelace
And some tramp pissed on my face."

Copyright @Rincewind

EDIT: link to the rest https://www.poetrysoup.com/poem/foxestalk_xmas_party_2013_735738

Edited by Sharpe's Fox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Hey even us right wingers need something to light our woodburning stoves with in our holiday homes by the sea.  The butler doesn't come on holiday old chap!  :P

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

I used to have Matt in my sig but recently changed it. No room to put the full quotation but it is the last line of a famous poem. Just a reminder that a change of fortune can happen to anyone. One reason why I am a perceived as a bit of a leftie but I am neither left or right. I just believe in fairness.

Right its a lovely springlike day today so you keyboard warriors get out there and have a walk in a park or in the country ...   take the dog for a walk ...   and if you haven't got a dog just buy a lead and walk along with it trailing behind you ...    bout the same but no crap to pick up.       :)

• Like 2