Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Still couldn't putt consistently, but thrilled to win our monthly medal with a new personal best (competition) score of 74 (nett 64). It's a step closer to my goal for the season of qualifying to play in a British senior golf series where the handicap cut-off is seven. With City winning too, the adrenalin's back big time.        

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Is it just me or is serving food in the utensil it was prepared in absolute twattish bollocks?

I dunno, it can work with some foods.  Curries, lasagne, pasta bakes, tagines, casseroles/cassoulets, shepherd's pie/cottage pie, toad in the hole etc.  For things that can tend to be batch-cooks it gives them a more personal touch and makes you feel more special, secure in the knowledge that this one's been cooked just for you.

Sauce in a grotty little saucepan though?  And one without a lip for easy pouring I see... Not so good.  Reckon an old-timey brandy warmer could've been good though if you insist on the cookware route, a simple gravy boat or sauce jug would've been even better.  You're not having much luck with your food snaps Fireman :D though I will say that steak's a definite step up on the Sunday roast you had a while back, If it carries on like this I'm looking forward to what you're having a couple of pics from now. :thumbup:

37 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I dunno, it can work with some foods.  Curries, lasagne, pasta bakes, tagines, casseroles/cassoulets, shepherd's pie/cottage pie, toad in the hole etc.  For things that can tend to be batch-cooks it gives them a more personal touch and makes you feel more special, secure in the knowledge that this one's been cooked just for you.

Sauce in a grotty little saucepan though?  And one without a lip for easy pouring I see... Not so good.  Reckon an old-timey brandy warmer could've been good though if you insist on the cookware route, a simple gravy boat or sauce jug would've been even better.  You're not having much luck with your food snaps Fireman :D though I will say that steak's a definite step up on the Sunday roast you had a while back, If it carries on like this I'm looking forward to what you're having a couple of pics from now. :thumbup:

Except it hasn't. It was cooked in a **** off tray and scooped out into individual dishes, refrigerated for up to 3 days and microwaved before being sent to your table.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beliall said:

Except it hasn't. It was cooked in a **** off tray and scooped out into individual dishes, refrigerated for up to 3 days and microwaved before being sent to your table.

In some places maybe, but chances are you're doing the chef a disservice assuming that it must have come out of a microwave after sitting around for days. 

Sure, a lot of things will often need to be pre-prepped but that's because you have a limited time from order to table and it's often unreasonable to do absolutely every part of every dish on the menu from scratch, particularly if your owner wants an expansive menu.  That said, for most of the things I mentioned in that post it's not actually that hard to do them fresh that day and legitimately prep individual portions provided you have all the right equipment and enough workspace, I've done it a fair few times with lasagne and cottage pie for instance.  (To be fair. for the latter I often spoon a pre-prepped and incredibly tasty sauce and a pre-prepped and incredibly tasty mash into separate jugs which I nuke together for just a couple of minutes then layer them up in their dish which goes in the oven for 15-20 minutes - nuking is involved but only serving to partially heat the items and reduce oven time and that's only if they'd been refrigerated in the first place since if they're coming fresh off the burners like you'd ideally try to do, the pre-heat obviously becomes unnecessary, unfortunately it's not always possible to do that with all the other items that need preparing).

Of course you will get the occasional place which microwaves absolutely everything but it seems to be a generational thing from what I can tell and the microwave portion generation of chefs who cook everything up days ahead of time and put it all into plastic pots for nuking to order (or worse, buying it all in ready-made and nuking it to order) is dying out, slowly being replaced by people who actually cook shortly before and during service and when something does need re-heating it often gets done in a pan or the oven anyway.  The microwave will always be a useful tool, mind, it's not the end of the world to use one for certain items (warming the mushy peas to go with freshly made fish & chips for instance or the cottage pies I mentioned).

I think a bigger worry is the number of places that seem to cook everything in a deep fryer.

3 hours ago, Thracian said:

Still couldn't putt consistently, but thrilled to win our monthly medal with a new personal best (competition) score of 74 (nett 64). It's a step closer to my goal for the season of qualifying to play in a British senior golf series where the handicap cut-off is seven. With City winning too, the adrenalin's back big time.        

Top man, that's awesome shooting :thumbup:. By my reckoning you should be cut at least 2 shots. Whats your new handicap now Thrac?

I shot a gross 80 nett 73 off 7 handicap today including two doubles and a triple bogey. I was brilliant for 15 holes but then fvcked it up in three holes - so frustrating...:@

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Top man, that's awesome shooting :thumbup:. By my reckoning you should be cut at least 2 shots. Whats your new handicap now Thrac?

I shot a gross 80 nett 73 off 7 handicap today including two doubles and a triple bogey. I was brilliant for 15 holes but then fvcked it up in three holes - so frustrating...:@

I'm expecting it to be 8, the same as my Winter Alliance handicap. If I could find the secret to putting it would help. I've checked all the advice but none mentions making the holes bigger! :) Today was simply reward for keeping the ball in play and sinking one unspectacular birdie, although three putts on the last was indefensible from 15 feet. Saturday winter tees were the shortest I've ever known after the deluge we've had so  that made the round flattering. I'm sure I'll be straying into the triple bogey country you mentioned once the back tees come into play again. I need 12 clubs and a pair of binoculars when that happens.                    

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Someone called my office, I didn't catch their name properly, but I had to send them an email, so I asked them for their name... it is Pennias. I had to ask him to spell it out twice.

It's a silent A.

• Like 1

Up at 01.00 to drop my daughter off at school for a geography field trip to Iceland. Knackered. 

Should have been followed by me and Mrs B going to Amsterdam but we had to cancel. 

7 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Big decision to make and have as a result realised I'm terrible at making big decisions. Really terrible 

You're probably not that terrible at making big decisions - you just think you are...

A few things I've learnt over the years about making big decisions:

• Get advice from a select few whose opinions I trust and value
  • Follow my heart not my head. Trust my inner wisdom, intuition and instincts to guide me
  • Only make big decisions when I'm refreshed, fully aware and in a peak state. Not when I'm tired, irritable or stressed
  • What's the worst that can happen and can I live with that?

Good luck on whatever you decide mate :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

You're probably not that terrible at making big decisions - you just think you are...

A few things I've learnt over the years about making big decisions:

• Get advice from a select few whose opinions I trust and value
  • Follow my heart not my head. Trust my inner wisdom, intuition and instincts to guide me
  • Only make big decisions when I'm refreshed, fully aware and in a peak state. Not when I'm tired, irritable or stressed
  • What's the worst that can happen and can I live with that?

Good luck on whatever you decide mate :thumbup:

Thank you very much. 

I'll probably update you all soon. 

Leicester beer festival today. Also one at the Kings Head, Brooods, Blue Boar and West End Brewery (I think) so plenty of choice of ale for the next 4 days. Although I am a volunteer at the Leicester Fest so will be on the other side of the bar. (closer to the barrels) 1f642.png:)

Beer lists available on their web pages.

Sad. I started clearing my chalet in the woods at Swithland today.

It will likely be demolished now but I simply won't have time to use it with all the golf tournaments planned from next week for all that there's nowhere I prefer to relax.

Despite achieving the declared qualifying standard, admittance to the particular British amateur tour I targetted is still dependent on a nominator and such things as whether you've played at representative level.

A bit harsh that when you've come in from another game far too late for such honours, play at a public course and no longer know a soul in the game of any influence or importance.

Can't imagine the door will stay anything but shut to be honest, so it's a case of focusing on the various senior opens instead and working to get the handicap down to scratch. It's a big "if" off the back tees but nothing ventured, nothing gained if this creaking body of mine holds up. :whistle:     

Edited by Thracian
  • Like 1

On 07/03/2017 at 15:03, Buce said:

Up at 01.00 to drop my daughter off at school for a geography field trip to Iceland. Knackered. 

Should have been followed by me and Mrs B going to Amsterdam but we had to cancel. 

Up at 1? Why even bother going to bed in the first place lol

• Like 1