Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Booked

Booked into the North Leicester Premier Inn Thusday night. Meeting with family Thursday for a meal at the Heatley near Gilroes which is where some are staying. Its not worth going there Thursday, coming back home only to go back the next day for the funeral. It would mean relying on someone to drive me or taxis.

It will be good to get together beforehand to ease the tension a little rather than meeting when everyone will be emotional.

On 25/03/2017 at 00:06, Rincewind said:

We have a date for my brother's funeral. Next Friday 10am Gilrors.

Hope all goes well considering the situation. Glad that arrangements appear to be in place.

Personally, funerals shouldn't be a time to 'dread' as much as it obviously is.

I'd rather have some happy memories mentioned of any person who's just died that would make the mourners laugh or smile a bit during the funeral speeches etc, referring back to the happier times with that person in the past - as positive memories can last a 'lifetime' or more to many.

Hope this isn't taken the wrong way by anyone, as sure some would agree.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

I agree. At the poker last night one of the players was a lot luckier than normal. I said my brother was helping him out as he used to get the better of him. A player who no longer attends left money for drinks and we toasted his memory and put what was over to the charity we sponsor. He would have approved. We will carry on with the nights and hope to arrange a special poker night for the charity and call it the Sir Gary Tourney after his online name.

I was thinking earlier that it is ties like this you realise how precious your family is. Possessions and wealth ean little despite the monetary value.

• Like 2

On 24 March 2017 at 17:59, Countryfox said:

Watched Jersey Boys in London and had a lovely meal in MASH steak house first ...   Great night ...   MASH highly recommended.    :)       

Coincidence,I was there the same night,had a meal at Treadwells,not recommended.

I didn't realise how many of their songs I knew.

Only spoilt for me by the bloke in front dressed like Wurzel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Resigned yesterday which was absolutely terrible. I think it went as badly as it could have gone.

What was so terrible about resigning mate?

And maybe it didn't go that badly at all. Maybe you just think it did...

On 24/03/2017 at 23:48, Vacamion said:

I was working in Manchester yesterday and this morning. Stayed in a hotel near Piccadilly.

My goodness, that whole area has gone downhill. It's now an utter craphole, full of tramps and beggars off their nuts on "Spice".

You can tell whose on the  "Spice", it makes them zombie-like.

Walking through Piccadilly Gardens in broad daylight this morning at 08:45, I saw two deals taking place in full view, several fights amongst tramps and their dealers and I was asked for money by people in a state of drug intoxication twice in less than 100m.  There are "street beds" everywhere.

It's like blummin Mos Eisley.

Makes the city centre of Glasgow seem posh.

Shame.

Whole swathes of our country, its environment and infrastructure, have gone downhill these last 40-odd years. 

7 hours ago, notnow john said:

Coincidence,I was there the same night,had a meal at Treadwells,not recommended.

I didn't realise how many of their songs I knew.

Only spoilt for me by the bloke in front dressed like Wurzel.

Oh yes that'll be me !! ...   slight smell of compost ?? ...    people round me usually move ...     :)

Yes I think I knew every song ...    not a big fan of Frankie Valli but they are catchy little tunes !  

We have walked by Tredwells and thought it looked ok from outside ...   was thinking of booking next time we went down ..    anything bad in particular ??  

26 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Oh yes that'll be me !! ...   slight smell of compost ?? ...    people round me usually move ...     :)

Yes I think I knew every song ...    not a big fan of Frankie Valli but they are catchy little tunes !  

We have walked by Tredwells and thought it looked ok from outside ...   was thinking of booking next time we went down ..    anything bad in particular ??  

It came highly recommended, and whilst I couldn't fault the ambience or service,

my medium rare steak was as tough as Ian Marshall's jock strap!

The wife had the lamb chop (1) and liked it.

Did you think you were going to see Jersey ???

??

30 minutes ago, notnow john said:

It came highly recommended, and whilst I couldn't fault the ambience or service,

my medium rare steak was as tough as Ian Marshall's jock strap!

The wife had the lamb chop (1) and liked it.

Did you think you were going to see Jersey ???

??

Will let Mrs CF decide ...    She normally study's trip advisor and comes up trumps ...    

Must admit my medium rare steak was superb ...    Like I said best one since I had one in Faro on the way to Seville (that was bloody good too) ..   Try MASH next time you go  :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Virtually finished clearing my chalet in Swithland prior to moving out. Many happy days spent there but times are changing and it seems a bit of history will disappear in the next few years. .   

A very nice area of Leicestershire.

The Griffin has been good every time.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

1 minute ago, Wymeswold fox said:

A very nice area of Leicestershire.

The Griffin has been good every time.

I must pay a visit, I usually head for the Curzon Arms in Woodhouse Eaves  if I don't cook at the chalet and raid my own wine stock! :) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Will let Mrs CF decide ...    She normally study's trip advisor and comes up trumps ...    

Must admit my medium rare steak was superb ...    Like I said best one since I had one in Faro on the way to Seville (that was bloody good too) ..   Try MASH next time you go  :thumbup:

27 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I certainly will.

Off out soon. Family meal pre funeral tomorrow. It will be sombre but we will toast my brother no doubt. He's had a fair bit of that lately.

I will have my sall laptop but not sure I will log on here. Its a bit slow to navigate. Won't have too much time.

10 hours ago, Strokes said:

Things not looking good for grandma,  on my way to see her, for what will probably be the last time. I'm just hoping she isn't in too much discomfort and isn't aware tbh. I said my goodbyes months ago and will remember for the strong woman she was in health. Sad times :cry:

Thoughts with you, brother.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Thoughts with you, brother.

Cheers, pretty awful day tbh. She seemed peaceful though and even managed a smile for me, which was pretty comforting. The doctors have stopped all meds now apart from pain relief, so It's just a time thing. I'll miss her so much. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Strokes said:

Things not looking good for grandma,  on my way to see her, for what will probably be the last time. I'm just hoping she isn't in too much discomfort and isn't aware tbh. I said my goodbyes months ago and will remember for the strong woman she was in health. Sad times :cry:

Sorry to hear that buddy - all the best to you and yours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Off out soon. Family meal pre funeral tomorrow. It will be sombre but we will toast my brother no doubt. He's had a fair bit of that lately.

I will have my sall laptop but not sure I will log on here. Its a bit slow to navigate. Won't have too much time.

Hey man, I hope things go as well as they can. It's a tough time for you - be strong old son. We are all thinking of you.

7 hours ago, Strokes said:

Cheers, pretty awful day tbh. She seemed peaceful though and even managed a smile for me, which was pretty comforting. The doctors have stopped all meds now apart from pain relief, so It's just a time thing. I'll miss her so much. 

Sorry to hear that, mate. :(

• Like 1

On 24/03/2017 at 23:48, Vacamion said:

I was working in Manchester yesterday and this morning. Stayed in a hotel near Piccadilly.

My goodness, that whole area has gone downhill. It's now an utter craphole, full of tramps and beggars off their nuts on "Spice".

You can tell whose on the  "Spice", it makes them zombie-like.

Walking through Piccadilly Gardens in broad daylight this morning at 08:45, I saw two deals taking place in full view, several fights amongst tramps and their dealers and I was asked for money by people in a state of drug intoxication twice in less than 100m.  There are "street beds" everywhere.

It's like blummin Mos Eisley.

Makes the city centre of Glasgow seem posh.

Shame.

I lived in Manchester for three years and even now going back it's still got that "edge" to it where I always feel the need to watch my back. The homeless is horrible to see and there seems to be loads. 

I was there last weekend, stayed with a few mates. I'll always have a connection with Manchester and I love going back, even if it's just for an away day, but it just feels rough. 

Edited by Fox92